£50m For AWB Is A Steal
(14-06-2019, 11:31 AM)The Expat Eagle Wrote: Bournemouth have been fined once for breaking FFP. Newly promoted clubs have £130m to spend. The thing you might be overlooking is how much we pay in wages. We're the 8th in the league but maybe are 17th for attendance with only Watford, Burnley and Bournemouth with smaller grounds.

There lies the problem. We can look at those 3 clubs and how they spend money. Watford are owned by a family who own other clubs and they are feeding clubs for Watford. Burnley are pretty much skint as are Bournemouth. For me it is those 3 clubs we are competing with when it comes to how much we spend. If they spend more than us then questions do have to be asked.

I won't go into the last few seasons but last season the clubs did the following transfers.

Club                             Bought                                  Sold                                    Loans In           Loans Out

Bournemouth              £42.5m (+2 undisclosed)      £10m (+3 undisclosed)        2 players          23 players         
Burnley                        £0m (+3 undisclosed)          £0m (+2 undisclosed)           0 players           15 players
Watford                       £16.3m (+6 undisclosed)     £44m (+6 undisclosed)         0 players          28 players
Crystal Palace               £9.5m (+0 undisclosed)       £0m (+2 undisclosed)          3 players           13 players

I know that is only for last season but looking at that we are directly comparable to Burnley which indicates Sean Dyche is out next manager. Smile

Smile  I wouldn't be surprised.  I am surprised that Burnley are skint though.  They receive the same huge amount of tv money as the other clubs, and I doubt they pay huge wages.

Will be interesting to see if we finally back Roy this time.  Is it too much to ask for a proper striker and crosser of the football after 7 seasons of top flight football?  Surely out of a 100 million plus wage bill we can afford to pay one of each of those.  Would love to see Wickham, Benteke and Sorloth finally become relevant instead of expensive wastes.
(14-06-2019, 15:26 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Smile  I wouldn't be surprised.  I am surprised that Burnley are skint though.  They receive the same huge amount of tv money as the other clubs, and I doubt they pay huge wages.

Will be interesting to see if we finally back Roy this time.  Is it too much to ask for a proper striker and crosser of the football after 7 seasons of top flight football?  Surely out of a 100 million plus wage bill we can afford to pay one of each of those.  Would love to see Wickham, Benteke and Sorloth finally become relevant instead of expensive wastes.

I think when it comes to Burnley they are careful and are investing in their training ground and academy. Like before they planned well so if they went down they could come back without having to sell, which is what they did. They didn't sack Dyche when he took them down and they seem to be planning well, a little like Stoke. It will be interesting to see how they do when Dyche leaves.

In the same way it will be interesting to see how well Bournemouth do if their manager leaves. Watford have a system when it comes to managers which we all know about so they will survive.

There is a lot of debate about wingers and how they disappeared from the game. They are all left/right forwards these days. Players like Sterling and so on aren't crossers. The current debate is about how that type of player might be needed again with the changes to the laws. That players who can get to the byline to cross might be the way to go as putting the ball into the box can be worth the gamble with the VAR coming in and the handball/fouls being over examined.

I can't think of a decent winger in the English top flight. Leicester won the league with 442 but it seemed to be punted up to Vardy to run on to.

As we are usually behind the times I doubt any wingers are in the youth system waiting to come through. I still think we should have given Kaikai a chance. Last summer he looked good in pre-season but the same people who said "it's only pre-season" were the same ones who got erections at Benteke playing okay in the same games.

I never understood how we had wingers like Bolasie and Zaha who could do everything but cross the ball. Makes you wonder how they are coached.

I enjoyed a but of a slagging match on Twitter over the last 24 hours with some fans saying I am a disloyal fan for saying I think AWB is only worth £20m. Another section said I was right because they had learned to read so knew where I was coming from.

It seems if we are not totally biased towards Palace we are not loyal fans. When I asked the ones accusing me of being disloyal what they would think if a club quoted us £60m for a player who had played 42 games they said they would laugh at the club but yet we are above that.

These same people also think AWB is better than Alexander-Arnold who has played in 2 CL finals, is a much better crosser of the ball and takes corners.

I'm not knocking AWB, for us he is a brilliant player and we couldn't sign one as good as he is, which is all the more upsetting that he wants to leave. He will be filed in the draw with Routledge, Bostock, Julian Gray, Joby McAnuff and so on. Players who had a good season then did a runner.
(15-06-2019, 00:09 AM)The Expat Eagle Wrote: I think when it comes to Burnley they are careful and are investing in their training ground and academy. Like before they planned well so if they went down they could come back without having to sell, which is what they did. They didn't sack Dyche when he took them down and they seem to be planning well, a little like Stoke. It will be interesting to see how they do when Dyche leaves.

In the same way it will be interesting to see how well Bournemouth do if their manager leaves. Watford have a system when it comes to managers which we all know about so they will survive.

There is a lot of debate about wingers and how they disappeared from the game. They are all left/right forwards these days. Players like Sterling and so on aren't crossers. The current debate is about how that type of player might be needed again with the changes to the laws. That players who can get to the byline to cross might be the way to go as putting the ball into the box can be worth the gamble with the VAR coming in and the handball/fouls being over examined.

I can't think of a decent winger in the English top flight. Leicester won the league with 442 but it seemed to be punted up to Vardy to run on to.

As we are usually behind the times I doubt any wingers are in the youth system waiting to come through. I still think we should have given Kaikai a chance. Last summer he looked good in pre-season but the same people who said "it's only pre-season" were the same ones who got erections at Benteke playing okay in the same games.

I never understood how we had wingers like Bolasie and Zaha who could do everything but cross the ball. Makes you wonder how they are coached.

I enjoyed a but of a slagging match on Twitter over the last 24 hours with some fans saying I am a disloyal fan for saying I think AWB is only worth £20m. Another section said I was right because they had learned to read so knew where I was coming from.

It seems if we are not totally biased towards Palace we are not loyal fans. When I asked the ones accusing me of being disloyal what they would think if a club quoted us £60m for a player who had played 42 games they said they would laugh at the club but yet we are above that.

These same people also think AWB is better than Alexander-Arnold who has played in 2 CL finals, is a much better crosser of the ball and takes corners.

I'm not knocking AWB, for us he is a brilliant player and we couldn't sign one as good as he is, which is all the more upsetting that he wants to leave. He will be filed in the draw with Routledge, Bostock, Julian Gray, Joby McAnuff and so on. Players who had a good season then did a runner.

Yeah they have managed their windfall well.  Probably were realistic that first season and it's paid off for them.  Got 3 good keepers there too.

Bournemouth probably realised that their 11,000 stadium was never going to generate much extra, and decided paying a ffp fine was probably the way to go for them.  They have a lot of pace there but a shit defence.

Brighton have no goals in them and have gambled changing their manager.  I hope they sink like a stone next season with 3 stronger sides getting promoted.

Albrighton is the best winger statistically in Britain,  Meertens abroad.  Id love it if we signed either of them.  Would like us to sign Wu Lei as well, he is a player.

Back to AWB, I think all players are massively overvalued and overpaid these days anyway.  Hopefully if we do have to sell him because he wants out then we set up a bidding war.  Might as well name a crazy price like 80 million.  If that walker was worth 50 million a few years ago, Christ knows what we could get for a 19 year old wonder kid like AWB.  What people are worth and what we can sell for are two different things  Smile  Sounds like a few clubs want him, quite rightly.
(15-06-2019, 01:58 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: Yeah they have managed their windfall well.  Probably were realistic that first season and it's paid off for them.  Got 3 good keepers there too.

Bournemouth probably realised that their 11,000 stadium was never going to generate much extra, and decided paying a ffp fine was probably the way to go for them.  They have a lot of pace there but a shit defence.

Brighton have no goals in them and have gambled changing their manager.  I hope they sink like a stone next season with 3 stronger sides getting promoted.

Albrighton is the best winger statistically in Britain,  Meertens abroad.  Id love it if we signed either of them.  Would like us to sign Wu Lei as well, he is a player.

Back to AWB, I think all players are massively overvalued and overpaid these days anyway.  Hopefully if we do have to sell him because he wants out then we set up a bidding war.  Might as well name a crazy price like 80 million.  If that walker was worth 50 million a few years ago, Christ knows what we could get for a 19 year old wonder kid like AWB.  What people are worth and what we can sell for are two different things  Smile  Sounds like a few clubs want him, quite rightly.

AWB will be 22 in November.

I wonder what his mindset is to have one good season then want to leave. I thought he was a Palace fan? Makes you wonder if he has no confidence he will do another good season or if this is his only hope of a big move.

I think this will be a chain reaction. Wilf won't be happy, he wants better things and selling AWB will not be showing that unless we do invest the money. I wouldn't be surprised if he throws his town out the pram.
(15-06-2019, 15:08 PM)The Expat Eagle Wrote: AWB will be 22 in November.

I wonder what his mindset is to have one good season then want to leave. I thought he was a Palace fan? Makes you wonder if he has no confidence he will do another good season or if this is his only hope of a big move.

I think this will be a chain reaction. Wilf won't be happy, he wants better things and selling AWB will not be showing that unless we do invest the money. I wouldn't be surprised if he throws his town out the pram.

Big Grin   They grow up so fast these days.

Hard to know the mindset but he won't be the first to want a big move too soon.  Hopefully Wilf gets in his ear.  Throwing toys from prams could result in a permanent ban from the stadium too.

Parish has said in the past that Noades made a huge mistake in 1991 by selling Wright to Arsenal.  Let's see if he talks the talk or walks the walk with AWB and Wilf.
Hopefully we're not a selling club anymore.
Hopefully Wilf has told him about his experience at ushited.
Hopefully it's all a load of media bull shite.
(16-06-2019, 22:50 PM)ZIGnZAG Wrote: Hopefully we're not a selling club anymore.
Hopefully Wilf has told him about his experience at ushited.
Hopefully it's all a load of media bull shite.

It's been going on too long and is in too mane media outlets for it to be b/s but maybe it will fall through.
(17-06-2019, 09:39 AM)The Expat Eagle Wrote: It's been going on too long and is in too mane media outlets for it to be b/s but maybe it will fall through.

He'll be wanted by too many clubs.  If he's really said he wants to go then it will alert others.  Annoying but when they do that you have to sell them I guess.  It'll probably drag on all summer of the wankers don't pay our valuation.
(17-06-2019, 10:19 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: He'll be wanted by too many clubs.  If he's really said he wants to go then it will alert others.  Annoying but when they do that you have to sell them I guess.  It'll probably drag on all summer of the wankers don't pay our valuation.

I really wonder if there is something else going on with this. One season in the team and he wants to move on, you'd have thought Wilf would have told him to get at least another year first.

I wonder if he doesn't think he will get another chance to move, like a lack of confidence in himself, which is hard to believe. Maybe he just is massively ambitious which flies against the attitude he had a while back when he was always late for training, etc. Maybe he thinks if he doesn't move the England chance will go like it did for Wilf?

All in all it doesn't make sense. Palace are a Premier League team so one more season will only benefit him and his stature. Granted he is where he is by accident and it does make me wonder if Kaikai, Boateng, Williams or Ladapo had a chance would they have worked out?

To draw a comparison, though a lot different, when Bolasie wanted to leave there was a lot more to that than met the eye at the time. Same with Big Sam when he 'retired' and even when that twat Pulis left the club. I think there is a lot going on at the club that isn't right but we've been getting away with it.
That oggy will knock 5 mill off his price.
If the price is around £55m, we should take it and re-distribute this to other areas of the pitch.  If you look at our squad and take out Zaha, are any of our players worth more than say £20m?

Having £55m at right back with an ageing rest of the squad (Zaha aside) depreciating year after year isn't sustainable.  I hope the answer is that we buy 3 under 24s for £10m to £20m each to bring down average age and give us a chance of appreciating our squad's value.

I really hope we don't go out and buy 28+ year olds with the proceeds otherwise we really are heading for a major future issue.  If we were to get relegated with this squad, we wouldn't come back without a major overhaul.  We need young players in and around the first team who can mature, increase in value and can step up if we were to get relegated or replace the ageing first teasers when they are good enough.

I'm no fan of Bournmouth but they have got this right and Brentford even more so.  If I was Parish, I'd buy Brentford's entire recruitment team with about 5% of the AWB cash and invest in their recommendations.  They've barely put a foot wrong in the last few years: Watkins, Konsa, Maupay, Benrahma, Mepham - wow!!
Totally agree Andy.  Obviously the way the club has gone about things up to now post 2010 has also been great hence the position we are in, but there has been a good deal of luck involved.  With players costing more and more, surely investing in youth makes the best sense, providing they are the right ones.  Not all will make it but recruiting Brentfords team would be excellent in the long term.  If we sell AWB and Zaha, our two only prized assets, and fail to replace them adequately, in the short or long term we will be in trouble.  I don't think there are any AWBs or Zahas bursting out of our academy.
elgin eagle Wrote:Totally agree Andy.  Obviously the way the club has gone about things up to now post 2010 has also been great hence the position we are in, but there has been a good deal of luck involved.  With players costing more and more, surely investing in youth makes the best sense, providing they are the right ones.  Not all will make it but recruiting Brentfords team would be excellent in the long term.  If we sell AWB and Zaha, our two only prized assets, and fail to replace them adequately, in the short or long term we will be in trouble.  I don't think there are any AWBs or Zahas bursting out of our academy.

We'd have said the same thing 18 months ago. Smile
(23-06-2019, 12:03 PM)Swedish Expat Eagle Wrote: We'd have said the same thing 18 months ago. Smile

Smile

In fairness Wilf was saying he hated playing against AWB in training well before he broke through.  The signs were there.  Anyone who Wilf can't get past has to be good.  Unless AWB wants away I wouldn't sell either, use the corporate bodge money and invest in young players.  Can build a suprastadio instead when we are in the Champions League Smile
(23-06-2019, 12:27 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Smile

In fairness Wilf was saying he hated playing against AWB in training well before he broke through.  The signs were there.  Anyone who Wilf can't get past has to be good.  Unless AWB wants away I wouldn't sell either, use the corporate bodge money and invest in young players.  Can build a suprastadio instead when we are in the Champions League Smile

Yeah but that story only came out after he was doing well in the team so it's probably bollox.

AWB has a medical booked next week.
(23-06-2019, 21:04 PM)Swedish Expat Eagle Wrote: Yeah but that story only came out after he was doing well in the team so it's probably bollox.

Fecking Tories and gp waiting times. Why don't they just ring up at 8 and see if a slot is free that day.
(23-06-2019, 21:04 PM)Swedish Expat Eagle Wrote: Yeah but that story only came out after he was doing well in the team so it's probably bollox.

No he was saying it even before he made the breakthrough.  Woosie on the bbs mentioned it when someone asked about anyone decent coming through.  He watches a lot of the youth stuff.
(27-06-2019, 09:14 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: No he was saying it even before he made the breakthrough.  Woosie on the bbs mentioned it when someone asked about anyone decent coming through.  He watches a lot of the youth stuff.

Agree, Woosie's one of the best palace ITKs around, especially for youth players, but also other club matters. Only Clapham grand I'd trust more. I think Wilf may have said it about AWB in a '17 preseason tour interview as well. 

Apparently AWB had a successful medical today, and his signing will be announced sometime tomorrow.  Confused

That's pretty depressing so I'll end on a hopeful note that Woosie rates both Woods and Dreher considerably and reckons they've got a pretty decent shot at the first team next season. I hope these guys don't jump at the first offer that comes their way if they make it. Chances are less as they are both palace through and through whereas AWB was/is a boyhood united fan. (There's a picture doing the rounds on social media)
I'm aware of the picture doing the rounds of AWB in a Man U shirt but according to Dominic Fifield in an article just published AWB was an Arsenal fan as a kid.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/201...tal-palace
(27-06-2019, 22:41 PM)Glazier Wrote: Agree, Woosie's one of the best palace ITKs around, especially for youth players, but also other club matters. Only Clapham grand I'd trust more. I think Wilf may have said it about AWB in a '17 preseason tour interview as well. 

Apparently AWB had a successful medical today, and his signing will be announced sometime tomorrow.  Confused

That's pretty depressing so I'll end on a hopeful note that Woosie rates both Woods and Dreher considerably and reckons they've got a pretty decent shot at the first team next season. I hope these guys don't jump at the first offer that comes their way if they make it. Chances are less as they are both palace through and through whereas AWB was/is a boyhood united fan. (There's a picture doing the rounds on social media)
That's encouraging.  Yeah Dreher nearly broke through 2 seasons ago but got injured I think.

I'm still in the glass half empty house when it comes to selling AWB.  Yes it's great money and he probably wanted to move, but he''s going to be a big loss from the defence.  If we go on to sell Wilf, Benteke and Sakho, we will be cash rich but player poor.  All depends if we can get 4 as good players.  Personally I'm not confident of that.  It should make for an exciting window though.