Bright Lights Off Ebay
Im doing some work at Mums house, decorating with a plan to rent out

The Kitchen has not had any paint work in over 30 years, and is pretty dull, also My Father had four enormous  ball spotlights on the ceiling. 150 watt bulbs !! if you were to rotate them all to one focal point, you could cook meat with the heat ! but lighting power = PATHETIC

Ive bought 4 of the link below, led round ceiling lights, they are incredibly bright, so much so, you only need one or two at at time, and with the ceiling painted really do look good

There bloody cheap and draw pretty well no power at all, i will be buying some more, to stick in my garage

LED Ceiling Light Panel Down Lights Round Bathroom Kitchen Living Room Wall Lamp | eBay
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at
(28-05-2021, 17:32 PM)steve m Wrote: Im doing some work at Mums house, decorating with a plan to rent out

The Kitchen has not had any paint work in over 30 years, and is pretty dull, also My Father had four enormous  ball spotlights on the ceiling. 150 watt bulbs !! if you were to rotate them all to one focal point, you could cook meat with the heat ! but lighting power = PATHETIC

Ive bought 4 of the link below, led round ceiling lights, they are incredibly bright, so much so, you only need one or two at at time, and with the ceiling painted really do look good

There bloody cheap and draw pretty well no power at all, i will be buying some more, to stick in my garage

LED Ceiling Light Panel Down Lights Round Bathroom Kitchen Living Room Wall Lamp | eBay
How do you wire them in, to the existing light fitting?  I've bought some 24v led strip lights but they need some sort of separate driver to power them.  Needless to say I have no clue about electrics.

They do look good though
(28-05-2021, 17:43 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: How do you wire them in, to the existing light fitting?  I've bought some 24v led strip lights but they need some sort of separate driver to power them.  Needless to say I have no clue about electrics.

They do look good though
Extremely easy, two wires. no earth, connect strait to the existing 240v lighting circuit that was up there anyway

Obviously if you dont feel confident with house electrics, dont do it !
I can, as done it for years
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at
elgin eagle Wrote:How do you wire them in, to the existing light fitting?  I've bought some 24v led strip lights but they need some sort of separate driver to power them.  Needless to say I have no clue about electrics.

They do look good though

That would be a transformer.  I've had some of them.  Transformers constantly blew.  Pain in the arse!
(28-05-2021, 17:49 PM)steve m Wrote: Extremely easy, two wires. no earth, connect strait to the existing 240v lighting circuit that was up there anyway

Obviously if you dont feel confident with house electrics, dont do it !
I can, as done it for years

Ah, so those lights you have can wire straight to the existing house lighting wiring, whereas the ones I have need a transformer and then connect to the mains via a plug?  Think I understand now.  They are in the garage at the moment in a box.
(28-05-2021, 23:24 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Ah, so those lights you have can wire straight to the existing house lighting wiring, whereas the ones I have need a transformer and then connect to the mains via a plug?  Think I understand now.  They are in the garage at the moment in a box.

Yes, they are a straight swop for the existing lights, i had to bridge the large 200mm hole first, using a batton, no nailed to the plaster board, and screwed, then the mounting plate fixed to the batton, and the light slides on
(29-05-2021, 08:00 AM)steve m Wrote: Yes, they are a straight swop for the existing lights, i had to bridge the large 200mm hole first, using a batton, no nailed to the plaster board, and screwed, then the mounting plate fixed to the batton, and the light slides on

Think I might get the same for our house then.  We live in a new build, but I never specified down lights or paid for any extras, so just got the bayonet type fittings in every room.  Will show the wife and see what she thinks.  Good tip that.  What wattage did you go for, and warm white or cool white?
(28-05-2021, 23:24 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Ah, so those lights you have can wire straight to the existing house lighting wiring, whereas the ones I have need a transformer and then connect to the mains via a plug?  Think I understand now.  They are in the garage at the moment in a box.
No, don’t wire into the mains: just feed it off your existing lighting circuit, it’ll be fine with a tranny. Lighting circuit will be 6amps, your ring main is 32, so will blow the tranny.

Unless you buy a 12v plug top transformer and wire the led strip into that of course, that’s fine.
(29-05-2021, 08:46 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: Think I might get the same for our house then.  We live in a new build, but I never specified down lights or paid for any extras, so just got the bayonet type fittings in every room.  Will show the wife and see what she thinks.  Good tip that.  What wattage did you go for, and warm white or cool white?
I had to go for the 50w as they are the largest dia at 220mm , and needed to cover the big 200mm hole
But we could of easily gone down in power to 36w 

I will take a couple of pics later, and see if i can attach them on here
(29-05-2021, 09:18 AM)steve m Wrote: I had to go for the 50w as they are the largest dia at 220mm , and needed to cover the big 200mm hole
But we could of easily gone down in power to 36w 

I will take a couple of pics later, and see if i can attach them on here

OK cheers.  I wasn't sure if cool white wouldn't be better in the kitchen than warm white as well.  Trying to find any wood inside these houses is near impossible as they are almost all insulation and that's it.
The light came, wasnt as big as I imagined either.  Will try putting it up this week sometime.  I'm guessing I just need to turn the electric off and get a couple of little connectors.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-06-2021, 21:51 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: The light came, wasnt as big as I imagined either.  Will try putting it up this week sometime.  I'm guessing I just need to turn the electric off and get a couple of little connectors.
What size did yo go for ? as it does not look like the 220 mm ive got ?
Paul, 

If your uncertain on connecting it up. PLEASE get an electician to do so, as i can verify even at 6 amps at 240Volt, it  fucking hurts

To me its easy, switch off the lighting circuit with the circuit breaker, connect the light with a 6 amp chocklate block connector, fit the light, (easy) and flick the CB back on,
(06-06-2021, 22:34 PM)steve m Wrote: Paul, 

If your uncertain on connecting it up. PLEASE get an electician to do so, as i can verify even at 6 amps at 240Volt, it  fucking hurts

To me its easy, switch off the lighting circuit with the circuit breaker, connect the light with a 6 amp chocklate block connector, fit the light, (easy) and flick the CB back on,

Cheers mate, I'll turn the lot off before I connect em up.  I think I got the 180mm 36w one, it was the 2nd biggest on the list.  You must have got the 230mm 60w one I think.