Crystal Palace Comrades Forums

Full Version: Favourite Shirt Sponsor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Following on from the thread about your favourite ever kit I was thinking how many shirts have been ruined by shirt sponsors. Last season's kit is an example with that fugly sponsor we have.

My favourite 3 has to be Virgin, Churchill and TDK.
Rather have no sponsors at all TBH - or at second best, go for a charity organisation like Villa did a few seasons back.
Of all the abominations foisted on us, I'd say that TDK was the "least worst".

Spike

(28-06-2019, 15:48 PM)HonorOakBloke Wrote: [ -> ]Rather have no sponsors at all TBH - or at second best, go for a charity organisation like Villa did a few seasons back.
Of all the abominations foisted on us, I'd say that TDK was the "least worst".

Me too. Many fans would happily pay more to have a shirt without a sponsor so maybe Parish could negotiate that into a sponsor deal? I would pay the current sponsor £5 not to advertise them. It has to be an earner for all concerned. Smile
I would have said Virgin, until they became rail privatisation profiteers.

So its a no-contest - TDK.
(03-07-2019, 13:18 PM)Raggy Wrote: [ -> ]I would have said Virgin, until they became rail privatisation profiteers.

So its a no-contest - TDK.

Yeah, I can agree with you. I can imagine youngsters today...

Youngster: What's a TDK?
Me: It was a tape manufacturer.
Youngster: Tape? Like Sellotape?
Me: No, cassette tapes.
Youngster: Like the box that holds the tape. You pull it and tear it off?
Me: No, you recorded music onto them and played it back on a personal stereo, in a car or a hi-fi.
Youngster: So, it's an MP3?
Me: *sigh* no, like a CD... They made them too.
Youngster: What's a CD?

- In the news tonight, Expat Eagle killed a teenager...
(03-07-2019, 14:40 PM)Swedish Expat Eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I can agree with you. I can imagine youngsters today...

Youngster: What's a TDK?
Me: It was a tape manufacturer.
Youngster: Tape? Like Sellotape?
Me: No, cassette tapes.
Youngster: Like the box that holds the tape. You pull it and tear it off?
Me: No, you recorded music onto them and played it back on a personal stereo, in a car or a hi-fi.
Youngster: So, it's an MP3?
Me: *sigh* no, like a CD... They made them too.
Youngster: What's a CD?

- In the news tonight, Expat Eagle killed a teenager...
Big Grin
Kind of makes me think about the futility of advertising at all. Basically TDK could have sponsored Real Madrid, Barcelona, Man Utd, PSG and Juve all at the same time.....and still be completely fucked within 5 years.
I would probably count sponsorships on shirts in the top 3 things I hate most about modern football. Even as a young child I remember seeing Liverpool’s shirt, with Hitachi emblazoned on it - they were the first to go down this soulless road - and my little heart sank. I couldn’t believe it was being allowed. Football kits were never, ever to look beautiful again. Who sanctioned that in the first place?! Or should I say what c**t did?

The sash could never look like it did in the late 70’s/early 80’s.

I remember AVR being placed along the sash in the mid 80’s, and that was as unobtrusive as it got, but it still looked awful.

I’m sorry, I’m not going to partake in this thread top 3...it would be like being made to vote for the next Tory leader - they’re all c**ts...i’d rather spoil my ballot.
(04-07-2019, 05:49 AM)Bubbs11 Wrote: [ -> ]I would probably count sponsorships on shirts in the top 3 things I hate most about modern football.  Even as a young child I remember seeing Liverpool’s shirt, with Hitachi emblazoned on it - they were the first to go down this soulless road -  and my little heart sank.  I couldn’t believe it was being allowed.  Football kits were never, ever to look beautiful again.  Who sanctioned that in the first place?!  Or should I say what c**t did?

The sash could never look like it did in the late 70’s/early 80’s.

I remember AVR being placed along the sash in the mid 80’s, and that was as unobtrusive as it got, but it still looked awful.

I’m sorry, I’m not going to partake in this thread top 3...it would be like being made to vote for the next Tory leader - they’re all c**ts...i’d rather spoil my ballot.

I do agree. The best shirts have no sponsor at all.

I think during the first admin period we didn't have a sponsor at all for a while - though why any company wouldn't want to be associated with a bankrupt failing business is beyond me  Big Grin

Anyway I still have a sponsor free Palace shirt from that period which is my favourite shirt. Ridiculously it cost me just £8 in the club shop!  Shirts with sponsors the next season were £35!
Red Rose supermarket
(04-07-2019, 13:31 PM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: [ -> ]Red Rose supermarket

The kit that sponsor was on is in my two 2 kits, just a shame we had a shit manager at the time.
I'm with Bubbs on this one.
Another thing about sponsors on kits is why do we the consumer have to pay through the nose to buy these tops? You’re basically a walking billboard for these companies. They should be paying us to wear them!

Obviously there should be a pay scale. If you live in London you should get paid more than say someone living on the Isle of Mull as more people will view your sponsor. Also, you get less money if you suffer from agoraphobia or are house bound for whatever reason.
I'm with Bubbs here, I hate sponsors on shirts, all over the stadium, anywhere really.  At least we only have one though.  I've seen some in Europe that are covered in em.  I suppose if I had to say which ones weren't totally shit it would have to be TDK or the fly Virgin one.  Back when we were totally shit I had a Churchill one and the church bit fell off, so I was walking around with 'ill' on the front of my top.  It was kind of poetic given how we were at the time.
(06-07-2019, 09:45 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: [ -> ]I'm with Bubbs here, I hate sponsors on shirts, all over the stadium, anywhere really.  At least we only have one though.  I've seen some in Europe that are covered in em.  I suppose if I had to say which ones weren't totally shit it would have to be TDK or the fly Virgin one.  Back when we were totally shit I had a Churchill one and the church bit fell off, so I was walking around with 'ill' on the front of my top.  It was kind of poetic given how we were at the time.

We actually have two, since 2017 all Premier League shirts have sleeve sponsors too. Everton has Angry Birds. Smile

But we need advertising around the ground, they have always been there so I have no problem with them. I am happy to accept the shirt sponsors too but just not on the ones we buy.

You have to wonder why UEFA and FIFA have never allowed them on national shirts.

There is a way of removing the sponsor involving a spirit or petrol based solution you can buy in the DIY shops. It melts the glue and doesn't damage the shirt but the down side is the fumes.
(06-07-2019, 11:54 AM)Swedish Expat Eagle Wrote: [ -> ]We actually have two, since 2017 all Premier League shirts have sleeve sponsors too. Everton has Angry Birds. Smile

But we need advertising around the ground, they have always been there so I have no problem with them. I am happy to accept the shirt sponsors too but just not on the ones we buy.

You have to wonder why UEFA and FIFA have never allowed them on national shirts.

There is a way of removing the sponsor involving a spirit or petrol based solution you can buy in the DIY shops. It melts the glue and doesn't damage the shirt but the down side is the fumes.
White spirit?  My man bet x black away kit seems to be disintegrating by itself.  Will try speeding up the process with some of that.  If it works I'll put a picture in the top tips thread.  Shame it won't get rid of the yellow jd sports crap at the ground too.
(06-07-2019, 20:33 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: [ -> ]White spirit?  My man bet x black away kit seems to be disintegrating by itself.  Will try speeding up the process with some of that.  If it works I'll put a picture in the top tips thread.  Shame it won't get rid of the yellow jd sports crap at the ground too.

It isn't pure white spirit. It is a petroleum/white spirit mix. There was a thread somewhere unrelated to Palace and I tried it on an old shirt.
(06-07-2019, 21:14 PM)Swedish Expat Eagle Wrote: [ -> ]It isn't pure white spirit. It is a petroleum/white spirit mix. There was a thread somewhere unrelated to Palace and I tried it on an old shirt.
Ah OK.   Need to know the ratio of petrol to white spirit.  I doubt adding varnish would help.