Crystal Palace Comrades Forums

Full Version: Wilf
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Was that a waving goodbye wave or a see you in August wave?
Dunno but the way he shrugged off two rough challenges and set up the fifth goal to ram the Bournemouth fans taunts down there throats was epic!
(12-05-2019, 18:55 PM)Richard Sole Wrote: [ -> ]Dunno but the way he shrugged off two rough challenges and set up the fifth goal to ram the Bournemouth fans taunts down there throats was epic!

That was fantastic wasn't it?  Better than Watford, or Huddersfield away.  We've got such a special player.  Hope he's still Palace when var comes in next season.
Yep, that run...
Had a hand in at least four of the goals.
Hope it isn't the last we see of him in the red and blue with thin white fading stripes.
It’s all about motivation I think.He has a family and is loved here plus signed a 25-30 million pound contract let alone bonuses and endorsements.i honestly think he will stay, I fucking hope so anyway.
Would have been good to have him with VAR coming in.  Ah well, another bit of the love for football just died.  Let's get another mercenary in who doesn't give a fuck about Palace really.
(07-08-2019, 21:35 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Would have been good to have him with VAR coming in.  Ah well, another bit of the love for football just died.  Let's get another mercenary in who doesn't give a fuck about Palace really.
I share your feeling about love of football dying. The greed is bad enough but seeing a few clubs just buying up all the talent paying ludicrous wages and sky pundits ejaculating at the hundreds of millions being spent then seeing clubs like Bolton and Bury floundering is saddening. The whole thing is about money chasing. When all is said and done what do the majority of clubs get out of being in EPL? NOTHING. They spend all their income trying to stay there and if they fail they spiral into debt because of the inflated wages of their players that they are stuck with and no one wants.
(07-08-2019, 22:37 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: [ -> ]I share your feeling about love of football dying. The greed is bad enough but seeing a few clubs just buying up all the talent paying ludicrous wages and sky pundits ejaculating at the hundreds of millions being spent then seeing clubs like Bolton and Bury floundering is saddening. The whole thing is about money chasing. When all is said and done what do the majority of clubs get out of being in EPL? NOTHING. They spend all their income trying to stay there and if they fail they spiral into debt because of the inflated wages of their players that they are stuck with and no one wants.
Capitalism has killed the football we knew when growing up.
It’s globalisation that has changed things - I was in Vancouver mid-90s and no one knew about English football - now my cousins children were so knowledgable about Palace / Zaha.

In the last 20 years, the EPL has grown into a monster.
(07-08-2019, 22:37 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: [ -> ]I share your feeling about love of football dying. The greed is bad enough but seeing a few clubs just buying up all the talent paying ludicrous wages and sky pundits ejaculating at the hundreds of millions being spent then seeing clubs like Bolton and Bury floundering is saddening. The whole thing is about money chasing. When all is said and done what do the majority of clubs get out of being in EPL? NOTHING. They spend all their income trying to stay there and if they fail they spiral into debt because of the inflated wages of their players that they are stuck with and no one wants.
Yep.  Spot on.  Not sure what the answer is.  Shoot the sky satellite down perhaps and start again.
I am sounding bitter with a couple of these posts but it's more despondency than bitterness. We never seem to kick on and progress upwards. Wilf deserves to flourish. I have no doubt he will be seen as a brilliant player for whomever he goes to. It will be due to the new manager not that he was that good with us. I would be less despondent if he went abroad. But woukdnt it be great if we finished above Everton or whomever he joins and qualified for Europa through cup or league....be rather ironic. But no I cant see it either
We could keep Wilf and he might get badly injured.  Maybe it is wiser to sell, and get 4 or 5 quality players with the money?  Spread the risk as it were, and stop us being a one man team.  Just looking at our options now.  Bit hard on deadline day, right enough.  It would be nice if we could have one summer without chaos though.
Didn't realise at the time, but that wave was a 'I'm fucking going no matter what' wave.
So he's been told to stay.  I hope it doesn't affect his game.  I understand he's been loyal, and must be pissed off that we won't sell him, but surely he can understand that a Pulis-esque action like this on deadline day eve isn't the best way to go about things.
I think he’ll get his head down and play for the team , you can’t just switch off camaraderie .
It’s a sorry state all round but wtf can we do? Lining up a replacement is a must because he will go sooner or later.
(08-08-2019, 19:28 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: [ -> ]So he's been told to stay.  I hope it doesn't affect his game.  I understand he's been loyal, and must be pissed off that we won't sell him, but surely he can understand that a Pulis-esque action like this on deadline day eve isn't the best way to go about things.
TBH I think hes most frustrated at the lack of progress and the way we play.  No real ambition
(09-08-2019, 16:00 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: [ -> ]TBH I think hes most frustrated at the lack of progress and the way we play.  No real ambition
I think I would be frustrated too but 120 grand a week and playing for Palace would soften the blow Smile Mind you the crowd would sing ' he's just too fat for you'.  If only we had invested in a proper scouting and recruitment team and bought players with resale value over the last seven years instead of valueless 30 year olds we wouldn't be in this mess.
(09-08-2019, 17:28 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: [ -> ]I think I would be frustrated too but 120 grand a week and playing for Palace would soften the blow Smile Mind you the crowd would sing ' he's just too fat for you'.  If only we had invested in a proper scouting and recruitment team and bought players with resale value over the last seven years instead of valueless 30 year olds we wouldn't be in this mess.
I think your opening sentence is affected by your red and blue specs. If it was about money I think he would have looked for a better contract first. I honestly believe its ambition fuelled by pundit talk about him being not good enough for top teams. We know he is. But playing for us makes it easy for people to denigrate him. Also his choosing IC over england has jaundiced views about him.
(09-08-2019, 17:56 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: [ -> ]I think your opening sentence is affected by your red and blue specs. If it was about money I think he would have looked for a better contract first. I honestly believe its ambition fuelled by pundit talk about him being not good enough for top teams. We know he is. But playing for us makes it easy for people to denigrate him. Also his choosing IC over england has jaundiced views about him.
Hopefully he can turn this into a positive and we can reap the benefit.  If he sulks it'll be shit.  Well more shit than usual.
(09-08-2019, 16:00 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: [ -> ]TBH I think hes most frustrated at the lack of progress and the way we play.  No real ambition

But we all knew that he was too good for us for us years ago?

We are Palace - South London and proud etc - Wilf has a god given talent which from a football point  of view deserves CL 

Bigger Picture - Wilf becomes a local legend - local club before money etc
Pages: 1 2