You're The Manager
West Ham away next. For once, could a typical Hodgson negative display be appropriate? Sit, disrupt and counter? West Ham are in good league form recently, but took a thrashing by Oxford fielding a not too shabby team showing that consistency is still an issue.
Tactically a tricky one to call, but given our lack of a striker, the counter attack Hodgsonball is what I'd set up with for this match.
Not too many changes from the Norwich game, although Kelly let the ball bounce around a bit so Tomkins comes in for me. Luka suspended forcing a change.
VG
Ward Cahill Tommo PVA
Macca McCarthy Kouyate
Zaha Ayew Townsend
Think you're spot on there Chris.  Maybe Kelly for tomkins.
I'd go with that team as well Chris.
Man City next. After suffering defeat they usually go out and give the next opponents a right hiding. Personally, this is a free hit in many respects and I don't see the value in 11 behind the ball: you're inviting on the inevitable.

I'd play an old school 4-4-2, press in our own half, get some air under the ball when we've got it. They love a tactical foul and pressing high up so my attitude would be that they can't press what isn't there and we'll bypass the midfield and cut out all those niggly fouls they get away with that makes any counter attack impossible. They've got fuck all centre backs too so an aerial bombardment is the way forward for me!

VG
Ward Cahill Tommo PVA
Zaha Luka Macca Townsend
Benteke Ayew.

Just get it up to big Ben for the knock on, he might be shit but he's fucking massive.
(16-10-2019, 19:44 PM)ChrisGC Wrote: Man City next. After suffering defeat they usually go out and give the next opponents a right hiding. Personally, this is a free hit in many respects and I don't see the value in 11 behind the ball: you're inviting on the inevitable.

I'd play an old school 4-4-2, press in our own half, get some air under the ball when we've got it. They love a tactical foul and pressing high up so my attitude would be that they can't press what isn't there and we'll bypass the midfield and cut out all those niggly fouls they get away with that makes any counter attack impossible. They've got fuck all centre backs too so an aerial bombardment is the way forward for me!

VG
Ward Cahill Tommo PVA
Zaha Luka Macca Townsend
Benteke Ayew.

Just get it up to big Ben for the knock on, he might be shit but he's fucking massive.
I like the thinking 're the long ball and there lack of centre backs. If Benteke was in any sort of form he would be the first name on the sheet wouldn't he.  I noticed when we played man city at selhurst last season sane and the other one hugged the touchline all game to try to counteract our narrow set up and give themselves some width on our poxy sized pitch.  I dunno if they will try that again on Saturday.  If they do there might be a case for 4-5-1 and Benteke but who knows really.  

Free hit though as you say.  The next 5 are free hits really.  I'd imagine we will hope they punch themselves out and hit them on the counter so it might suit us a bit more than teams who come and sit.  Just hope we don't give them too many chances as they will take them.
(16-10-2019, 21:58 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: I like the thinking 're the long ball and there lack of centre backs. If Benteke was in any sort of form he would be the first name on the sheet wouldn't he.  I noticed when we played man city at selhurst last season sane and the other one hugged the touchline all game to try to counteract our narrow set up and give themselves some width on our poxy sized pitch.  I dunno if they will try that again on Saturday.  If they do there might be a case for 4-5-1 and Benteke but who knows really.  

Free hit though as you say.  The next 5 are free hits really.  I'd imagine we will hope they punch themselves out and hit them on the counter so it might suit us a bit more than teams who come and sit.  Just hope we don't give them too many chances as they will take them.
Difference being that last season AWB absolutely owned anyone who came near him, especially Sane. Ward's in for a shafting I reckon.
(17-10-2019, 08:21 AM)ChrisGC Wrote: Difference being that last season AWB absolutely owned anyone who came near him, especially Sane. Ward's in for a shafting I reckon.
They will surely want to take out the recent defeats on someone you would think.  It must be so tempting to play 5 at the back.  However fortune usually favours the brave.  This is a good tactical analysis of how Norwich beat Man City
https://www.coachesvoice.com/tactical-an...er-city-2/
I think we can go second with a win, but would be well happy with a point really.
Think what you suggested for Saturday was probably the way to go Chris.  Ayew did well up there, but having Benteke up there as well might have kept them back a bit.  They are a very good side though.  Some of their work to get in behind was really good.  We probably would have lost that one whatever we did.
So, Arsenal today.  Would be tempted to go with Benteke to give a focal point up there.  Thought we looked better against Man City when he came on.  However given that its away maybe its better rely on the pacier players for the counter attack.
(27-10-2019, 09:21 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: So, Arsenal today.  Would be tempted to go with Benteke to give a focal point up there.  Thought we looked better against Man City when he came on.  However given that its away maybe its better rely on the pacier players for the counter attack.
We looked better when Luka came off.
Don't take our country back, take it forwards.
(27-10-2019, 09:37 AM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: We looked better when Luka came off.
Benteke came on for him I think didn't he?
Ayew looked well peeved to get subbed but not as much as Xhaka did Smile huge luck with the var decisions but great character to come back nonetheless.
Leicester next.  We seem to have had the sign over them in recent times, but they look good under Rodgers, fast paced, attacking, direct.  It could be a really open game if we can do as well offensively as them.  Need to work on stopping the crosses as well.
(30-10-2019, 09:24 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: Leicester next.  We seem to have had the sign over them in recent times, but they look good under Rodgers, fast paced, attacking, direct.  It could be a really open game if we can do as well offensively as them.  Need to work on stopping the crosses as well.
They've only got 2 players over 6 foot.
(30-10-2019, 10:14 AM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: They've only got 2 players over 6 foot.
They have, but Albrighton has a wicked cross on him.  A lot of time they get the ball in low and hard and create something from what happens after.  Added to the pacy, direct attacks and you can see why they are a handful again.  We definitely don't want to be going down to ten men either seeing what they did to Newcastle and Southampton.
Sorry, lost track of this thread.

I'm not the biggest fan of Hodgson, but he's coming up trumps so far assisted by VAR which seems to be a leveler for us! Never before have we enjoyed such fairness!
Tricky one Leicester. I really fancy them to do well this season and would be reluctant to change a formula which is working. That said, 3 points would be massive and could change our entire attitude towards season expectations: if we get 3 points off Leicester our ambition cannot be merely survival. We'll be 11 games in so should shift that to challenging for Europa (a target I've thought realistic for 3 seasons). Therefore, I think we should really go for it: a loss isn't too damaging as Leicester are being touted now. Nothing ventured...

Like us with Zaha, take care of Vardy and it's half the job done. Cahill and Luka tasked to mark him out of the game in respective phases of play, don't get drawn out so he can get a run on you.

VG in goal if fit: WH is a great shot stopper but you can tell the defence don't trust him and he's a nightmare on crosses.
Ward Tommo Cahill Schlupp (really starting to despise PVA)
Luka kicking Vardy
Meyer McCarthy
Townsend Zaha Ayew.
4-1-2-3. Aggressive. Meyer and McCarthy distribution wide or centre and roving around.
Bentekkers for the 4-4-2 lump and run option plan B off the bench.
Macca on the bench to be deployed to protect and lead on 75 mins.
(30-10-2019, 20:58 PM)ChrisGC Wrote: Sorry, lost track of this thread.

I'm not the biggest fan of Hodgson, but he's coming up trumps so far assisted by VAR which seems to be a leveler for us! Never before have we enjoyed such fairness!
Tricky one Leicester. I really fancy them to do well this season and would be reluctant to change a formula which is working. That said, 3 points would be massive and could change our entire attitude towards season expectations: if we get 3 points off Leicester our ambition cannot be merely survival. We'll be 11 games in so should shift that to challenging for Europa (a target I've thought realistic for 3 seasons). Therefore, I think we should really go for it: a loss isn't too damaging as Leicester are being touted now. Nothing ventured...

Like us with Zaha, take care of Vardy and it's half the job done. Cahill and Luka tasked to mark him out of the game in respective phases of play, don't get drawn out so he can get a run on you.

VG in goal if fit: WH is a great shot stopper but you can tell the defence don't trust him and he's a nightmare on crosses.
Ward Tommo Cahill Schlupp (really starting to despise PVA)
Luka kicking Vardy
Meyer McCarthy
Townsend Zaha Ayew.
4-1-2-3. Aggressive. Meyer and McCarthy distribution wide or centre and roving around.
Bentekkers for the 4-4-2 lump and run option plan B off the bench.
Macca on the bench to be deployed to protect and lead on 75 mins.
Schlupp's pace might help with reg Vardy