Would You Go To War?
Hypothetical question. No judgement here, but if you were transported back into your 18 year old body, and a far right Nazi led country attacked us, would you conscientiously object, unwillingly join up, or volunteer for the infantry and ask for the front line?  

Was pondering this earlier.  Bearing in mind at 18 you know fuck all, so you retain your old gits experience of life to help make the decision.  The chances of returning to your family alive but mentally broken are about 25%.
(02-07-2020, 17:44 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Hypothetical question. No judgement here, but if you were transported back into your 18 year old body, and a far right Nazi led country attacked us, would you conscientiously object, unwillingly join up, or volunteer for the infantry and ask for the front line?  

Was pondering this earlier.  Bearing in mind at 18 you know fuck all, so you retain your old gits experience of life to help make the decision.  The chances of returning to your family alive but mentally broken are about 25%.

Would it matter what the individual felt about it? They would probably be called up and given something to do whether they like it or not.

It's very hard to transport yourself into your own teenage mindset. But I certainly wouldn't willingly fight in WW1, Gulf Wars or Vietnam.

WW2 is a different matter, I would have accepted fighting then.
Ballot spoilers of the world unite.
(02-07-2020, 17:44 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Hypothetical question. No judgement here, but if you were transported back into your 18 year old body, and a far right Nazi led country attacked us, would you conscientiously object, unwillingly join up, or volunteer for the infantry and ask for the front line?  

Would I volunteer?  No chance.
If you got conscripted you wouldn't have much choice unless you could claim invalidity of some sort.
Goodbye European Union. Goodbye Jeremy. Goodbye Nick. Jerk-It
Big Grin 
(02-07-2020, 17:52 PM)Raggy Wrote: Would it matter what the individual felt about it? They would probably be called up and given something to do whether they like it or not.

It's very hard to transport yourself into your own teenage mindset. But I certainly wouldn't willingly fight in WW1, Gulf Wars or Vietnam.

WW2 is a different matter, I would have accepted fighting then.
Yeah, you haven't been enlisted at this point.  All options are open to you, there is no peer pressure and neither side is particularly on top.  There has been no propaganda or nudge theory to make you feel guilty about not joining.  Its not at ww2 stage just yet, for this example we are Polish and the aggressors are Nazi Germany, but it's 2020 and not 1939.

The 18 year old version of me living in 1987 would have.   It was a very different country then and one I would have fought for.

An 18 year old version of me living in 2020 wouldn't.   I just don't view this society as worth dying for and I wouldn't recommend any youngster fighting for it.
(03-07-2020, 12:54 PM)Buck Rodgers Wrote: The 18 year old version of me living in 1987 would have.   It was a very different country then and one I would have fought for.

An 18 year old version of me living in 2020 wouldn't.   I just don't view this society as worth dying for and I wouldn't recommend any youngster fighting for it.

That's exactly how I am too.  Have we changed, or has society changed?  Bit of both perhaps.  I'm definitely less patriotic than when I joined the RAF.  Are today's 18 year olds as patriotic?  I know when I joined up they were struggling to get recruits.  Probably why they took me Big Grin Not sure if it's still the same today.  Perhaps the lure of guaranteed money and accommodation for a long time is a big draw in today's Britain.  Obviously you go where war is, but you know that I guess.

Anyway, back to the question.  German troops are advancing into our hybrid country, UKPoland.  Do we let the current forces deal with it, or sign up to help?  It's hard to know hypothetically I know.  Emotion is a powerful driver isn't it.
(03-07-2020, 14:15 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: That's exactly how I am too.  Have we changed, or has society changed?  Bit of both perhaps.  I'm definitely less patriotic than when I joined the RAF.  Are today's 18 year olds as patriotic?  I know when I joined up they were struggling to get recruits.  Probably why they took me Big Grin Not sure if it's still the same today.  Perhaps the lure of guaranteed money and accommodation for a long time is a big draw in today's Britain.  Obviously you go where war is, but you know that I guess.

Anyway, back to the question.  German troops are advancing into our hybrid country, UKPoland.  Do we let the current forces deal with it, or sign up to help?  It's hard to know hypothetically I know.  Emotion is a powerful driver isn't it.

I think you weigh up the situation and fight for what you think is worth fighting for.  It's a bit of a trite answer I know but essentially you have to be heavily invested to risk your life.

Plus you have the considerations of what kind of war it was....I don't think Germany has nukes but I get the angle you've taken.

I'd probably take the family and move to Ireland where I have relatives.  

In terms of the forces today, it's quite amazing what we are seeing.   The downgrades are quite alien to what I grew up with.   It's like they don't really think they will ever fight a real war again......Like watching all those Police running away when the BLM protests started up.....you looked at who was running away and saw that a good number of them were women.
As long as they give me the biggest gun available and a license to kill any fucker i wanted then yes, where do i sign?
If not then no.
(03-07-2020, 14:15 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: That's exactly how I am too.  Have we changed, or has society changed?  Bit of both perhaps.  I'm definitely less patriotic than when I joined the RAF.  Are today's 18 year olds as patriotic?  I know when I joined up they were struggling to get recruits.  Probably why they took me Big Grin Not sure if it's still the same today.  Perhaps the lure of guaranteed money and accommodation for a long time is a big draw in today's Britain.  Obviously you go where war is, but you know that I guess.

Poland 1939 is quite an extreme example because mass genocide ensued when they lost.

All the people saying they don't have much loyalty to 2020 Britain are only seeing half the picture. Its not about how much you love your country, but about how awful the enemy is.

If defeat meant death or starvation for you and your family then people would fight. If defeat just meant being taken over by another branch of the NWO/Cabal then they probably wouldn't bother!
(03-07-2020, 17:07 PM)Raggy Wrote: Poland 1939 is quite an extreme example because mass genocide ensued when they lost.

All the people saying they don't have much loyalty to 2020 Britain are only seeing half the picture. Its not about how much you love your country, but about how awful the enemy is.

If defeat meant death or starvation for you and your family then people would fight. If defeat just meant being taken over by another branch of the NWO/Cabal then they probably wouldn't bother!

The Nazi's plans for the Uk were similar to how they treated France.   So if you were an average joe who refused to fight then the likely destination for you was either fighting in their army or working in their armament's factory.  Either way after the initial defeat of our forces they would have had a puppet government similar to Vichy France. Hitler's genocidal plans, terrible as they were pointed direct hatred for jews, communists and slavs, he didn't have those plans for northern Europeans. If you kept your head down you survived.

In the second world war I would have fought for my country, no questions asked.

However, I wouldn't fight for this country as it is now.  I wouldn't willingly help invaders but I'm not fighting for elites I mostly detest:  let the liberals and left fight for the society they created. My first thought would be to get out of it.
In in order to defend this country yes.   I can't answer about another country as I have no connection with that country.

Given what we now know about the Nazi's then it would have been a must imo.
(03-07-2020, 19:17 PM)The Groover Wrote: In in order to defend this country yes.   I can't answer about another country as I have no connection with that country.

Given what we now know about the Nazi's then it would have been a must imo.
We are currently living in a world where our freedoms are being eroded by the powers that be. There are no bullets or bombs involved, it is just a pervasive creep, but we need to fight them just the same.

That will take a different kind of bravery. The 'progressives' must fail. Our way of life depends on it.
Goodbye European Union. Goodbye Jeremy. Goodbye Nick. Jerk-It
Incidentally my daughter lives in a cottage built in the late 1800's.  It was originally a stables.  She researched the house and discovered that the son of a previous occupant had joined the Sussex regiment at the age of 17.  He was refused when he tried to join the Essex as he was too young so lied about his age.  He was killed on the final day of the Battle of the Lys at the age of 19 defending the German counter attack at Ypres.

I presented her and my son-in-law with a Brass Plaque which now has pride of place in the porch. 

I published a picture of the plaque and the story on the local Facebook group and we have made contact with his relatives.   

In memory of Private Joseph Charles Gamble
1899 – 1918. Who lived at this cottage
until he volunteered for military service during WW1.
He joined the 11th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment aged 17.
Sadly, Killed in Action 29 April 1918 Aged 19.
Lest we forget.
(03-07-2020, 14:38 PM)Buck Rodgers Wrote: I think you weigh up the situation and fight for what you think is worth fighting for.  It's a bit of a trite answer I know but essentially you have to be heavily invested to risk your life.

Plus you have the considerations of what kind of war it was....I don't think Germany has nukes but I get the angle you've taken.

I'd probably take the family and move to Ireland where I have relatives.  

In terms of the forces today, it's quite amazing what we are seeing.   The downgrades are quite alien to what I grew up with.   It's like they don't really think they will ever fight a real war again......Like watching all those Police running away when the BLM protests started up.....you looked at who was running away and saw that a good number of them were women.

It's a good point.  I don't think anyone, or very few anyway, have thought deeply about what they would do in the event of a land invasion on home soil.  We have grown used to watching wars conducted by air power, which has led to a sort of detachment that 'it won't happen to me', wars aren't fought that way anymore.  This might be true of a lot of wars, but it doesn't mean they have stopped.  You only have to look at Syria or Eastern Ukraine to see battles for territory.  I know what you mean about taking the family and moving else where, but I guess you would have to weigh up the mundane, houses, jobs, mortgages etc.  Everything would suddenly be up in the air, much more than with the coronavirus pandemic say. 

I must admit, seeing Police running away during the BLM stuff was a first.  I've seen them retreat en masse in riot situations to concede ground, but never actually run for their lives.

Raggys point about also considering the awfulness of the enemy is also valid.  If ISIS mobilised and funded a big Islamic army with ideologies similar to the Nazis then that would probably result in a strong response from the civilian population, who would recognise that they hate everything about our way of life and what we stand for.  I guess that's what I mean about it being an emotive issue, that might override our natural inclination to survive.
The GrooverIncidentally my daughter lives in a cottage built in the late 1800's.  It was originally a stables.  She researched the house and discovered that the son of a previous occupant had joined the Sussex regiment at the age of 17.  He was refused when he tried to join the Essex as he was too young so lied about his age.  He was killed on the final day of the Battle of the Lys at the age of 19 defending the German counter attack at Ypres.

I presented her and my son-in-law with a Brass Plaque which now has pride of place in the porch. 

I published a picture of the plaque and the story on the local Facebook group and we have made contact with his relatives.   

Lest we forget.

I tip my hat to you and most of us bow to those heroes who fought and died for their loved ones, friends and country.
(03-07-2020, 21:43 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: It's a good point.  I don't think anyone, or very few anyway, have thought deeply about what they would do in the event of a land invasion on home soil.  We have grown used to watching wars conducted by air power, which has led to a sort of detachment that 'it won't happen to me', wars aren't fought that way anymore.  This might be true of a lot of wars, but it doesn't mean they have stopped.  You only have to look at Syria or Eastern Ukraine to see battles for territory.  I know what you mean about taking the family and moving else where, but I guess you would have to weigh up the mundane, houses, jobs, mortgages etc.  Everything would suddenly be up in the air, much more than with the coronavirus pandemic say. 

I must admit, seeing Police running away during the BLM stuff was a first.  I've seen them retreat en masse in riot situations to concede ground, but never actually run for their lives.

Raggys point about also considering the awfulness of the enemy is also valid.  If ISIS mobilised and funded a big Islamic army with ideologies similar to the Nazis then that would probably result in a strong response from the civilian population, who would recognise that they hate everything about our way of life and what we stand for.  I guess that's what I mean about it being an emotive issue, that might override our natural inclination to survive.

There are interesting scenarios you are coming up with Eagle.     Cool

I agree, each situation has its own details and you'd have to calculate what's safest for those you're responsible for.

While a land invasion is unlikely as our real enemies are quite remote and like Germany would have to take coastal Europe to seriously entertain moving that number of troops......blimey, we'd have to blow up the channel tunnel.     Cool    So we'd be bombed to feck instead.

Civil war from city states like London and Birmingham wanting to break free is more likely......not that I necessarily think war would happen over that but just that it's more likely than a foreign troop invasion.
Would I willingly go and fight? Too right. I reckon the call is coming soon anyway the way things are going. Can’t wait. It’ll be far more rewarding caving in the head of some antifa tosser with a rifle stock than it was scrambling around in some shit hole desert trying not to get your bollocks blown off.

Willingly sign up. Tick. Front line infantry. Tick. Fucking too right. Make that figure 50/50 with me in the squad doing bits (as the kids might say).
(03-07-2020, 22:28 PM)Buck Rodgers Wrote: There are interesting scenarios you are coming up with Eagle.     Cool

I agree, each situation has its own details and you'd have to calculate what's safest for those you're responsible for.

While a land invasion is unlikely as our real enemies are quite remote and like Germany would have to take coastal Europe to seriously entertain moving that number of troops......blimey, we'd have to blow up the channel tunnel.     Cool    So we'd be bombed to feck instead.

Civil war from city states like London and Birmingham wanting to break free is more likely......not that I necessarily think war would happen over that but just that it's more likely than a foreign troop invasion.

Yeah, I think any foreign troop invasion would have had to have taken Europe first before they got to us, so you would probably be looking at the later stages of a war I guess, by when you would probably have had time to decide what you would do.  Unless a secret Islamic or Chinese Army could mobilise here slowly on the quiet, before attacking when they were ready.

As Chris says, it's a lot easier to be motivated to defend what's yours, than illegally occupy what isn't miles away.
(03-07-2020, 19:41 PM)The Groover Wrote: Incidentally my daughter lives in a cottage built in the late 1800's.  It was originally a stables.  She researched the house and discovered that the son of a previous occupant had joined the Sussex regiment at the age of 17.  He was refused when he tried to join the Essex as he was too young so lied about his age.  He was killed on the final day of the Battle of the Lys at the age of 19 defending the German counter attack at Ypres.

Lest we forget.

Good work.

Coincidentally my Great, Great Uncle was also in the Sussex regiment and also killed in Belgium (aged 19). We went to see his grave. The message from his parents on the grave was heartbreaking.