Will We Be Stronger Next Season Or Not?
I read somewhere to expect a mad transfer window.  Not sure if he meant insane mad or mad in a good way though.

What would you be happy with from the next 3 weeks?
I'm already not happy that we have sold AWB to the scum and are about to sign Ayew.

We have to keep Zaha and sign a striker, a right back and another centre half at least.
Too early to say, IMHO, but the transfer dealings to date - and the rumours in the pipeline - don't exactly fill me with enthusiasm. Right now it looks to me that we're pinning our hopes on last season's flops (...yes I'm looking at you, Benteke and Sorloth) coming good, with one or two 'meh' signings to bolster up the squad.

Unless we get some real "under the radar" signings in the next few weeks, it looks like Roy is going to be starting the new campaign with pretty much the same core squad that we finished with last year, minus at least one (possibly two) of the shining stars of that team.

Glass definitely half full at the moment.
No. We will be weaker and it will be a season of rebuilding. But we will stay up.

Also, as HonorOakBloke says, it is too early to say. We could make 5 brilliant signings in the next month.
(09-07-2019, 17:04 PM)HonorOakBloke Wrote: Too early to say, IMHO, but the transfer dealings to date - and the rumours in the pipeline - don't exactly fill me with enthusiasm. Right now it looks to me that we're pinning our hopes on last season's flops (...yes I'm looking at you, Benteke and Sorloth) coming good, with one or two 'meh' signings to bolster up the squad.

Unless we get some real "under the radar" signings in the next few weeks, it looks like Roy is going to be starting the new campaign with pretty much the same core squad that we finished with last year, minus at least one (possibly two) of the shining stars of that team.

Glass definitely half full at the moment.
Yeah, me too.  Was quite hopeful about Castagne, but that one seems off now.  I'm sure who we read about and who we end up signing will be mostly totally different.  Ayew aside, but he was always going to attractive to us given his price. We have to try to hold onto Wilf now, it's surely too late to be able to replace both him and AWB now, let alone strengthen in all the other areas.  If we do that second part it's going to happen very late after they have missed the crucial bonding period.

Having said that, this happens every season so you never know Smile
Depends who we sell/buy but it gets harder each season and I'm not sure we're keeping up with the other clubs.
If Wilf goes I wouldn’t replace him with a similar skilful winger (obviously never going to replace him) but get someone who primarily can cross the ball and make use of our three tall forwards.  My concern if Wilf goes is if we continue with the same tactics of trying to play through sides.  Won’t work without Wilf pulling defenders out of position and causing mayhem.

Going to have to be a little bit more direct.
(13-07-2019, 18:21 PM)Bubbs11 Wrote: If Wilf goes I wouldn’t replace him with a similar skilful winger (obviously never going to replace him) but get someone who primarily can cross the ball and make use of our three tall forwards.  My concern if Wilf goes is if we continue with the same tactics of trying to play through sides.  Won’t work without Wilf pulling defenders out of position and causing mayhem.

Going to have to be a little bit more direct.
I do worry we won't have enough goals with our 3 existing forwards and no supply to them bar townsends floaters.

Surely we have to get some business done offensively.  So many have left, and only Ayew probably coming in imminently.
It’s crazy, but had Pardew not got rid of Murray, our problems would be a lot less and have a lot more money in the bank...and scored a lot more goals!

Just hope we’ve seen the last of signings like Benteke that are just far too big a risk for a club like ours. I’d rather take punts on lower league players. Works for Burnley.
(13-07-2019, 19:07 PM)Bubbs11 Wrote: It’s crazy, but had Pardew not got rid of Murray, our problems would be a lot less and have a lot more money in the bank...and scored a lot more goals!

Just hope we’ve seen the last of signings like Benteke that are just far too big a risk for a club like ours.  I’d rather take punts on lower league players.  Works for Burnley.
Yeah I've always thought most teams in the lower leagues have players capable of playing at a higher level.  It's also telling that our best two recent players, Wilf and AWB have come through the youth set-up, much better than those we've had to pay multi millions for.  Makes you think what sort of academy we could have had if we had chucked 50 million at it and worldwide scouting, instead of say, Benteke.
Benteke signing felt wrong right at the start even though he had a decent first season. I thought maybe it was my small team mentality that made me have reservations but turned out to be more a vanity signing than an astute one.
(13-07-2019, 20:28 PM)Bubbs11 Wrote: Benteke signing felt wrong right at the start even though he had a decent first season.  I thought maybe it was my small team mentality that made me have reservations but turned out to be more a vanity signing than an astute one.
If we got a bid from China at this late stage for him I wonder if we would accept it.  It wouldn't leave us long to replace him and even if Ayew finally joins our forward options would only really consist of Sorloth and Wickham, plus Wilf if he stays.  Then of course there is the question of whether Benteke himself would even move.  I guess it would force us into action if someone like Villa wanted him back though.  They are spending money like it's going out of fashion, and Benteke might fancy Birmingham over Bejing.