Whos Sick Of The Meghan And Harry Stuff
ChrisGC Wrote:Most people do it to a certain extent these days. Nobody has to be wrong anymore. Look at the coronavirus thread on this website. Intelligent, clearly compassionate people defending their wild changes in opinion over the course of a year by just saying “this is my truth and you’re wrong”. Amazing.

I changed my opinion from the early days based on the data I looked at originally (which came from china and was clearly all lies).  I re-evaluated my view based on the new data.

The issue is not changing ones opinion its basing an opinion on miss information or ones own view based on what you decide to be the correct opinion without looking at the correct facts.
(07-04-2021, 08:47 AM)Raggy Wrote: Not so sure about that. The encouragement of 'heroism' led to about 20 million futile deaths of Europeans in WW1. A great many of them believed they were heroes dying for God and King/Emperor/Kaiser. European civilisation (and birth rates) arguably never fully recovered.
There are other similarly idiotic follies from history, such as the Children's Crusade, founded on similar motivations. Yes, Europe may have progressed further than other civilisation/continent - But it might have progressed even further if it demonstrated less 'heroism' and more cautious, considered pragmatism. A few more Isambard Kingdom Brunel's and a few less General Haigs would have helped.

I am not convinced that mindset has gone away either. Aren't some of today's woke zealots the inheritors of the same religious zeal? Is the charge to protest for a 'heroic cause' in 2021, the same as the charge to enlist for a 'heroic cause' in 1914?

It's quite a meaty topic and something I want to spend time on answering....it's all a bit hectic the last couple of days and I'll focus on this tomorrow.
(07-04-2021, 08:47 AM)Raggy Wrote: Not so sure about that. The encouragement of 'heroism' led to about 20 million futile deaths of Europeans in WW1. A great many of them believed they were heroes dying for God and King/Emperor/Kaiser. European civilisation (and birth rates) arguably never fully recovered.
There are other similarly idiotic follies from history, such as the Children's Crusade, founded on similar motivations. Yes, Europe may have progressed further than other civilisation/continent - But it might have progressed even further if it demonstrated less 'heroism' and more cautious, considered pragmatism. A few more Isambard Kingdom Brunel's and a few less General Haigs would have helped.

I am not convinced that mindset has gone away either. Aren't some of today's woke zealots the inheritors of the same religious zeal? Is the charge to protest for a 'heroic cause' in 2021, the same as the charge to enlist for a 'heroic cause' in 1914?

I apologise for the lateness of my reply.....life gets in the way and all that.

I take your point that 'heroism' can be abused and taken advantage of, however its holistic affect benefited society in innumerous ways.  It's part of a societal self image that is seen as 'supremacy' by indoctrinated morons today but when replaced with nihilism and rampant individualism results in the encroaching dystopia we are steaming towards.

I've heard views that both world wars last century were futile and in some senses this can be said about any war.   However, it's a debate over whether different timelines would have ultimately fared worse.....for example avoiding early war with Hitler in the thirties was the aim of the European powers and yet it only created a much larger one later on.   We are always limited to the judgement of the era's elites at the time and truth be told outcomes are probably far more governed by luck than their judgements.

However, the second most likely didn't happen without the first and I do agree that long term these wars led to the destruction of European empire and hence the degradation of its societies.....aided and abetted by other insidious fifth column factors that continue to feed on it today.
(13-04-2021, 01:20 AM)Buck Rodgers Wrote: I apologise for the lateness of my reply.....life gets in the way and all that.

I take your point that 'heroism' can be abused and taken advantage of, however its holistic affect benefited society in innumerous ways.  It's part of a societal self image that is seen as 'supremacy' by indoctrinated morons today but when replaced with nihilism and rampant individualism results in the encroaching dystopia we are steaming towards.

I've heard views that both world wars last century were futile and in some senses this can be said about any war.   However, it's a debate over whether different timelines would have ultimately fared worse.....for example avoiding early war with Hitler in the thirties was the aim of the European powers and yet it only created a much larger one later on.   We are always limited to the judgement of the era's elites at the time and truth be told outcomes are probably far more governed by luck than their judgements.

However, the second most likely didn't happen without the first and I do agree that long term these wars led to the destruction of European empire and hence the degradation of its societies.....aided and abetted by other insidious fifth column factors that continue to feed on it today.

Interesting discussion, I do like an alternative history timeline discussion - I think I will start a new thread to continue.

I suspect Harry and Meghan still have some tricks up their sleeve, so this Harry &Meghan thread still needs 'space' to grow  Wink
Ballot spoilers of the world unite.