What Would It Take For You To Stop Going To Palace?
I think only a serious illness that would stop me drinking all day, or some financial hardship that meant my family would suffer if i kept going would stop me.  Palace often try my patience with their greed, such as the streaming of friendlies or the exhorbitant entrance fees for cup matches against lower league opposition, or their preference for a huge corporate hospitality stand while the commoners suffer in the dangerously unsafe arthur or soon to be ridiculous whitehorse.  It seems that despite rolling in armchair money for 7 years, they still want to fleece us for everything. 

Just wondering what it would take (or has taken) for you to say, fuck it I'll just watch on tv now.
Getting dragged all over englandshire picking up Ebay shite enroute
(22-07-2019, 10:47 AM)Keltic Eagle Wrote: Getting dragged all over englandshire picking up Ebay shite enroute
You love it.  The tv day was one of the funniest ever.  How we got through Glasgow in time to catch the last train I'll never know.
I came close - very close - this year, after the E block fiasco, but my heart ruled my head and I've renewed my S/T.

Now we've got this streaming of friendlies only available if you fork out for Gold membership story. We aren't fans any more - we're revenue potential, and the club are taking the piss by trying to maximise that potential at every opportunity with scant respect for the people they are targeting.

Wonder what the next bright idea will be - restricted areas on the official website for paying customers only?

Much more of this 'stuff you, you're only a fan' attitude and I'll be offski next season.
Serious Ill health or lack of funds. I missed 3 seasons in the early 80s when I was an apprentice with a young family. Saw about 3 games per season.
(22-07-2019, 12:51 PM)HonorOakBloke Wrote: I came close - very close - this year, after the E block fiasco, but my heart ruled my head and I've renewed my S/T.

Now we've got this streaming of friendlies only available if you fork out for Gold membership story. We aren't fans any more - we're revenue potential, and the club are taking the piss by trying to maximise that potential at every opportunity with scant respect for the people they are targeting.

Wonder what the next bright idea will be - restricted areas on the official website for paying customers only?

Much more of this 'stuff you, you're only a fan' attitude and I'll be offski next season.
I must admit that streaming shit really stuck in my craw too.  It doesn't matter if people found ways to get out of paying - it's the principle of the thing.  We have stuck by them for years while they serve up game after game of miserable defeats, sometimes travelling miles and forking out cash for flights due to late notice fixture changes, and this is how they treat us.  Palace (and some scum excuse for Palace fans on the site that can't be mentioned) have really tested my love for palace recently.  I can only imagine what you guys in Block E have felt like.

When you say you'll be offski though, do you expect it to be a non painful withdrawal, or will you not miss the whole build up, the scrum in the pubs, the queueing for a piss, the comraderie, the (very) occasional performance, the drinking on the way home afterwards?  The thought of staying home and going shopping instead just fills me with dread.  I'm far happier telling Keltic we have to pick up x or y from z and seeing his little face light up.
(22-07-2019, 20:28 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: I must admit that streaming shit really stuck in my craw too.  It doesn't matter if people found ways to get out of paying - it's the principle of the thing.  We have stuck by them for years while they serve up game after game of miserable defeats, sometimes travelling miles and forking out cash for flights due to late notice fixture changes, and this is how they treat us.  Palace (and some scum excuse for Palace fans on the site that can't be mentioned) have really tested my love for palace recently.  I can only imagine what you guys in Block E have felt like.

When you say you'll be offski though, do you expect it to be a non painful withdrawal, or will you not miss the whole build up, the scrum in the pubs, the queueing for a piss, the comraderie, the (very) occasional performance, the drinking on the way home afterwards?  The thought of staying home and going shopping instead just fills me with dread.  I'm far happier telling Keltic we have to pick up x or y from z and seeing his little face light up.
Twat  Angry
(22-07-2019, 21:59 PM)Keltic Eagle Wrote: Twat  Angry
 Big Grin I never said light up with pleasure Smile 

You can't deny that there has been some great bargains along the way though.  And hardly any have involved detours for you.  You refusing to travel by car anymore has seen to that.  It's too hard to find bargains in Scotland as you well know.  They are too tight and greedy.
Will it be a painful withdrawal if I do decide to give up on going to Selhurst? Before I was shunted out of E block and the community of Palace fans I've known for 20 years was strewn to the 4 corners of the ground, I'd have said yes, it would hurt like hell.

But now it's a bit of a clean slate for me: I don't have the same deep ties to Selhurst that I once had. So now the main thing that finally persuaded me to renew my S/T was the (probably vain) hope that this coming season our home form will be much better so that I can at least enjoy watching the game. But as I've said on another thread, seeing how preseason is going and hearing the (lack of) transfer news has left me feeling glass half-empty on that score as well.

I'll see how this season goes. But if the club dishes out any more shit to us fans, and the home form remains dire, and VAR ruins the beauty of the game, then I'm less than 50:50 on whether I'll renew after this season.

If I do decide to jack it in, I wouldn't be able to stop watching live football entirely- like you say half of the fun is the ritual around the game rather than the 90 minutes on the pitch. So I'll probably go back to watching the first team I ever followed as a snotty 8 year old kid, and toddle along to Champion Hill to watch Hamlet.

At least they haven't sacrificed their relationship with their loyal supporters in the chase for a fast buck...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
(23-07-2019, 20:09 PM)HonorOakBloke Wrote: Will it be a painful withdrawal if I do decide to give up on going to Selhurst? Before I was shunted out of E block and the community of Palace fans I've known for 20 years was strewn to the 4 corners of the ground, I'd have said yes, it would hurt like hell.

But now it's a bit of a clean slate for me: I don't have the same deep ties to Selhurst that I once had. So now the main thing that finally persuaded me to renew my S/T was the (probably vain) hope that this coming season our home form will be much better so that I can at least enjoy watching the game. But as I've said on another thread, seeing how preseason is going and hearing the (lack of) transfer news has left me feeling glass half-empty on that score as well.

I'll see how this season goes. But if the club dishes out any more shit to us fans, and the home form remains dire, and VAR ruins the beauty of the game, then I'm less than 50:50 on whether I'll renew after this season.

If I do decide to jack it in, I wouldn't be able to stop watching live football entirely- like you say half of the fun is the ritual around the game rather than the 90 minutes on the pitch. So I'll probably go back to watching the first team I ever followed as a snotty 8 year old kid, and toddle along to Champion Hill to watch Hamlet.

At least they haven't sacrificed their relationship with their loyal supporters in the chase for a fast buck...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Good post.  I suspect that resonates with a lot of us who go regularly.  The VAR thing, in competent hands, should improve games like it did in the highly successful russian world cup.  However in fast paced, highly charged english premier league games, with players trying to cheat at every turn, and win pens off inept officials by chipping the ball into an opponents hands, I can see it being a nightmare.  At least if we keep Wilf we can look forward to a lot of justified penalties.  It's a big if though isn't it.  I think if we don't feel like product, as fans we can put up with an awful lot to keep making the trips.  It's hard doing it from Scotland every other week, but beer and good company helps.  Sadly I have to make do with Keltic and him me, but when it's the first train out and last train back it's a long day sometimes.

Keltic suggested an away season ticket instead this year,  which on the face of it isn't a bad idea if we keep Wilf, but you know with sods law we will sell him and win 1 away all season, while Selhurst becomes an improbable fortress Smile
(23-07-2019, 03:52 AM)elgin eagle Wrote:  Big Grin I never said light up with pleasure Smile 

You can't deny that there has been some great bargains along the way though.  And hardly any have involved detours for you.  You refusing to travel by car anymore has seen to that.  It's too hard to find bargains in Scotland as you well know.  They are too tight and greedy.
Poundshop Mr T.

I ain't gettin in no motor.
(23-07-2019, 21:31 PM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: Poundshop Mr T.

I ain't gettin in no motor.
He doesn't trust my Citroën c1.  Says something about it being full of dog hairs and stinking.  The fact its done 209000 miles and picked up every conceivable object known to man in various detours on the way to football has nothing to do with it.  It's always blame the chihuahuas.  Now we have to take the train everywhere which has curtailed my bargain hunting massively.