We Are In Weird Times.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/afrofuture-...3?aff=eand

This festival has different prices for different races.

[Image: 6a93ed05baa300c90f3916d4ea8f794e.jpg]

2019.... things are getting worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Back in the 90’s I applied for this journalism/media course thing that came up that was funded by the local council. The details of the course really excited me and seemed right up my street. Things weren’t great personally at the time for me and was at quite a low ebb due to certain unlucky circumstances, so this seemed like a good opportunity to pick myself up and get my life on the right track. Put loads of work into the application - had to do a tape and other written stuff, so much so that I was quietly quite confident in being accepted. A few weeks later I received a letter to say unfortunately I wasn’t accepted and didn’t even make it to an interview. Gutted.

Normally I would’ve just left it there but decided to get in touch with those running the course to find out what i’d done wrong as i really felt my application was strong. Finally managed to get through to one of the guys running the course and he was really complimentary about my application which just confused me more. He then mentioned ‘demographics’ and ummed and erred a bit which confused me more and then said he would tell me the reason I didn’t get on as I deserved to know, but it was strictly off the record. He said unfortunately the reason I didn’t make the cut was because I had the wrong ethnic background; they had to fill the course with a quota and percentage of people of a certain ethnicity and unfortunately I didn’t make the cut. I was speechless. I remember saying something stupid like, ‘But my parents are Greek, doesn’t that put me in a better position? But the guy explained it was more to do with the colour of my skin. To his credit he didn’t have to tell me and sounded truely apologetic. I’m guessing it was a positive discrimination thing and the finances to run the course was dependent on this.

Have to say it wasn’t a good feeling. Being knocked back for not being good enough is one thing but...Made you realise how upsetting it must be when people of colour don’t get jobs or are excluded because their skin. Having been brought up in a totally culturally mixed area and being ethnically ‘foreign’ myself, I’d never really seen too much of that.

I totally understand why there is such things as positive discrimination and aware that racism is still rife, but I have to say this obsession with colour and ‘where you’re from’ from both sides actually, totally does my head in.
That's fucked up.  Imagine if it was the other way round.  Nick, you have my sympathies.  Having demographic 'targets' for jobs is just wrong.  The best applicants should get the job, end of.  I always answer 'prefer not to say' to the ethnicity question.

I don't understand a word of this either.  They must have been smoking something when they wrote that.
(07-07-2019, 09:25 AM)Blind_Eagle Wrote: The reasoning behind it seems pretty understandable.

[b]WHY DO WE HAVE POC(PEOPLE OF COLOR) AND NONPOC(WHITE PEOPLE) TICKETS? I'M GLAD YOU ASKED![/b]
[b]EQUALITY[/b] MEANS TREATING EVERYONE THE SAME
[b]EQUITY[/b] IS INSURING EVERYONE HAS WHAT THEY NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL 
OUR TICKET STRUCTURE WAS BUILT TO INSURE THAT THE MOST MARGINALIZED COMMUNITIES [b](PEOPLE OF COLOR)[/b] ARE PROVIDED WITH AN EQUITABLE CHANCE AT ENJOYING EVENTS IN THEIR OWN COMMUNITY[b] (BLACK DETROIT)[/b].
AFFORDING [b]JOY[/b] AND [b]PLEASURE[/b] IS UNFORTUNATELY STILL A PRIVILEGE IN OUR SOCIETY FOR POC AND WE BELIEVE EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE ACCESS TO RECEIVING SUCH.
WE'VE SEEN TOO MANY TIMES ORGASMIC EVENTS HAPPENING IN [b]DETROIT[/b] AND OTHER POC POPULATED CITIES AND WHAT CONSISTENTLY HAPPENS IS PEOPLE OUTSIDE OF THE COMMUNITY BENEFITING MOST FROM AFFORDABLE TICKET PRICES BECAUSE OF THEIR [b]PROXIMITY TO WEALTH[/b].
THIS CYCLE DISPROPORTIONATELY [b]DISPLACES BLACK AND BROWN PEOPLE[/b] FROM ENJOYING ENTERTAINMENT IN THEIR OWN COMMUNITIES.
I never knew there was a place called Black Detroit.
elgin eagle Wrote:I never knew there was a place called Black Detroit.

Its right next to Ginger Georgetown
(07-07-2019, 10:04 AM)The Groover Wrote: Its right next to Ginger Georgetown
Is there a bus?  Obviously with different prices depending how ginger you are.
(07-07-2019, 10:16 AM)Blind_Eagle Wrote: It’s not a place, according to that, it’s a “community”
Snobs.
(07-07-2019, 10:21 AM)Blind_Eagle Wrote: Why different pricing?  Huh
I'm asking the same question.  If equity and equality is so fucking important to them, make it free to everyone.
Not the bus though.  No freeloaders in ginger Georgetown.
(07-07-2019, 09:25 AM)Blind_Eagle Wrote: The reasoning behind it seems pretty understandable.

[b]WHY DO WE HAVE POC(PEOPLE OF COLOR) AND NONPOC(WHITE PEOPLE) TICKETS? I'M GLAD YOU ASKED![/b]
[b]EQUALITY[/b] MEANS TREATING EVERYONE THE SAME
[b]EQUITY[/b] IS INSURING EVERYONE HAS WHAT THEY NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL 
OUR TICKET STRUCTURE WAS BUILT TO INSURE THAT THE MOST MARGINALIZED COMMUNITIES [b](PEOPLE OF COLOR)[/b] ARE PROVIDED WITH AN EQUITABLE CHANCE AT ENJOYING EVENTS IN THEIR OWN COMMUNITY[b] (BLACK DETROIT)[/b].
AFFORDING [b]JOY[/b] AND [b]PLEASURE[/b] IS UNFORTUNATELY STILL A PRIVILEGE IN OUR SOCIETY FOR POC AND WE BELIEVE EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE ACCESS TO RECEIVING SUCH.
WE'VE SEEN TOO MANY TIMES ORGASMIC EVENTS HAPPENING IN [b]DETROIT[/b] AND OTHER POC POPULATED CITIES AND WHAT CONSISTENTLY HAPPENS IS PEOPLE OUTSIDE OF THE COMMUNITY BENEFITING MOST FROM AFFORDABLE TICKET PRICES BECAUSE OF THEIR [b]PROXIMITY TO WEALTH[/b].
THIS CYCLE DISPROPORTIONATELY [b]DISPLACES BLACK AND BROWN PEOPLE[/b] FROM ENJOYING ENTERTAINMENT IN THEIR OWN COMMUNITIES.
So real racism is OK when it's against white people, just for having the audacity to be more successful in a predominantly white country.

Anyone who defends this is advocating a genuinely racist policy.
(07-07-2019, 10:37 AM)Blind_Eagle Wrote: We clearly live in weird times.
Just think it's a dangerous road to go down.  Treat the problem, not the effects innit.  If they were that bothered make it cheaper for everyone, or even free.
It's like dredging all over again Smile
(07-07-2019, 10:45 AM)Talons Wrote: So real racism is OK when it's against white people, just for having the audacity to be more successful in a predominantly white country.

Anyone who defends this is advocating a genuinely racist policy.

I think it’s awful, I’m left of centre politically... and this is insane. It’s almost like white people are subsidising non-white people. It’s terrible for all races.

Lower prices for poorer people /those on welfare would make more sense.
As a person from an ethnic heritage, I prefer positive action compared to positive discrimination.

I don't agree with the black Detroit bollocks as it is basically apartheid in practice.

Now if I am going for a job, I would like to think I get it because of my skills knowledge and experience and not because the standards were lowered so I can come in and fuck things up.....

If the job is to fly an jet, I would say I am getting it because I showed my skills in safely handling the aircraft, I wouldn't be comfortable to share a cockpit with someone incompetent but got through because the standards were lowered irrespective of their colour, hence my arguemwnt for positive action, racism is real let's deal with it and get rid of it and not positive discrimination......hope this post makes sense
This is the kind of fuckery that results in shit like Trump winning an election.
Democrat idiot Kamala Harris has pledged to give 100 billion to non whites to help buy there houses if she becomes president , luckily she won’t win.
Whites are being demonised , I hear it in my own family and I’m truly shocked at the comments they make along the lines that all whites are evil . When challenged they can’t back anything up and end up making up shit to justify themselves.My sister in law is the worst by far.
(07-07-2019, 22:15 PM)Blind_Eagle Wrote: ‘It’s really not, I’m not even interested in this subject. 

I just wondered who’d bite.
Smile Fair enough.  It just sounds like ripping off the honky to me.  Reminds me of a strawberry van I used to see parked under a motorway bridge in cyprus, it said in greek, 'fraoules peninda cents', and then underneath in English, 'strawberries, one pound' Big Grin

Anyway anyone paying 20 or 40 quid to see that probably needs their head testing and will get ripped off for dope once inside anyway too.
It’s divisive and stupid. 2019 Sad

(07-07-2019, 22:15 PM)Blind_Eagle Wrote: ‘It’s really not, I’m not even interested in this subject. 

I just wondered who’d bite.
FFS what a c*nt.

There's a whole other webshite dedicated to virtue signalling, as you well know.