TV's
Any TV experts out there?  Have decided our 50' Techwood is a bit shit and want to upgrade.  Quite like the look of the LG OLED tv's.  Apparently they are prone to screen burn issues though.  Amazing picture.
Tut, tut.

Why do you think that 'we' own some Theta tokens? Streaming is the future but bandwidth is the problem. Theta solves this problem so buy a TV that ultimately will pay for itself.................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgZQJgwHKb0
(28-06-2020, 11:43 AM)...TUX... Wrote: Tut, tut.

Why do you think that 'we' own some Theta tokens? Streaming is the future but bandwidth is the problem. Theta solves this problem so buy a TV that ultimately will pay for itself.................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgZQJgwHKb0
Ah I see.  So i need to be looking at Samsung is it?  They have QLED instead of OLED I think.  Not sure what the difference is though.
(28-06-2020, 11:56 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: Ah I see.  So i need to be looking at Samsung is it?  They have QLED instead of OLED I think.  Not sure what the difference is though.

Me neither bud, I just look at them  Smile

Joking aside, as well as Samsung and a few others, Theta have also recently done a deal with Google (owners of Youtube) so this 'space' is growing fast.
I am not a fan of Samsung try Panasonic. You will find it cheaper and does a better job than Samsung
(28-06-2020, 09:15 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: Any TV experts out there?  Have decided our 50' Techwood is a bit shit and want to upgrade.  Quite like the look of the LG OLED tv's.  Apparently they are prone to screen burn issues though.  Amazing picture.
I just bought an LG '4k' OLED B9 65 inch and the picture is marvellous. I previously had a 1080 LG Plasma. The plasma does have a very lifelike picture but they no longer make them. The OLED has the advantage of more pixels which does make for an amazingly solid picture even at 65 inch when watching a 4k source. The upscaling is good too. Whether it looks more real than a plasma, I'm not sure.  It's certainly much better than your run of the mill LEDs.
Is it better than the best Samsung QLED? You need to decide that with your own eyes. If you only had 1080 or 720 before then the clarity of either 4k will impress.

The burn-in was certainly an issue with my old plasma and it was apparently a problem with older OLEDs. LG say the new ones have stuff built in to combat it. Obviously it's also probably not a good idea to play games on it or leave it on Sky Sports News or anything with tickers or icons for hours on end.

In the end, it is the current best picture quality with a risk of burn in versus a slightly less good picture without.
Goodbye European Union. Goodbye Jeremy. Goodbye Nick. Jerk-It
Cheers lads.  Like Talons, I think OLED is the way to go.  The new ones have self lighting pixels apparently, so things like stars in a night sky are really visible.  Good news about them fixing the screen burn issues too.  You would be gutted if you spent that much and it went wrong straightaway.  I guess something you really have to take out the warranty on.  I've only ever had 1080p, so it would be a big jump in class.  Obviously LG are the OLED kings, but I think others besides Sony are doing them now.  I've seen some second hand OLEDs on eBay for 350 ish, so not a fortune.
Went for an LG in the end. 65c8pla. Hopefully it's as good as the reviews say it is.
(01-07-2020, 17:37 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Went for an LG in the end.  65c8pla.  Hopefully it's as good as the reviews say it is.
If it is anything like my new B9, it will be one sexy TV. I wish my eyesight was still as perfect as the picture.
(01-07-2020, 18:03 PM)Talons Wrote: If it is anything like my new B9, it will be one sexy TV. I wish my eyesight was still as perfect as the picture.
Haha I know the feeling Smile Obviously being on eBay it has to have some flaw, and it's 3 red pixels, and the corner looks a bit dented, but it cost £3495 new last year according to the reviews.  To get for a grand seems like a bargain.  I did a lot of googling and this model seems to represent decent value.  Was originally only intending to spend the equivalent of the season ticket money (I don't think fans will be back next season) but you know what it's like.

Yay, the TV came.  Have to admit I was blown away by the picture.  The detail is amazing.

Can't even see the 3 red pixels.
(03-07-2020, 22:06 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Yay, the TV came.  Have to admit I was blown away by the picture.  The detail is amazing.

Can't even see the 3 red pixels.
Nice.

Looks very similar to the B9. All the new LG 4Ks have great pictures.

Is that a Denon AV you have there? I have the 2400 which does the job for surround.

(Yesterday, 07:39 AM)Talons Wrote: Nice.

Looks very similar to the B9. All the new LG 4Ks have great pictures.

Is that a Denon AV you have there? I have the 2400 which does the job for surround.

Cheers, it's a Sony.  I bought some Celestion speakers ages ago, the wife hates them but the sound is great from them.  I haven't even tried the tv sound as the firestick plugs into the amp.  I chopped the ends off the speaker wire as it had gone all black and stripped back some new wire.  They sound even better now.  Well chuffed with the telly though.  Not going to Palace for a while will suck but I cant see full crowds at Selhurst for a while.
(Yesterday, 08:59 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: Cheers, it's a Sony.  I bought some Celestion speakers ages ago, the wife hates them but the sound is great from them.  I haven't even tried the tv sound as the firestick plugs into the amp.  I chopped the ends off the speaker wire as it had gone all black and stripped back some new wire.  They sound even better now.  Well chuffed with the telly though.  Not going to Palace for a while will suck but I cant see full crowds at Selhurst for a while.
I nearly bought some Celestion speakers just as the lockdown kicked in. I didn't want to go and collect them so I cancelled. I thought they would make a good replacement for my two front surround speakers but I do already have some Linn Kelidths that I use for my hi fi. They will only do stereo connected through my hi fi amp for TV but they do improve the overall sound quality when synced with the AV. With those plus 4 LG towers, 2 small rear speakers and an AV link woofer, it can blasts me out of the room already.
(Yesterday, 09:46 AM)Talons Wrote: I nearly bought some Celestion speakers just as the lockdown kicked in. I didn't want to go and collect them so I cancelled. I thought they would make a good replacement for my two front surround speakers but I do already have some Linn Kelidths that I use for my hi fi. They will only do stereo connected through my hi fi amp for TV but they do improve the overall sound quality when synced with the AV. With those plus 4 LG towers, 2 small rear speakers and an AV link woofer, it can blasts me out of the room already.

I must admit I've never understood why people choose soundbars over an AV set up.   It needn't cost much more if you buy second hand and you can find great quality if you search about and can collect.  I think I paid £165 for the towers, a centre speaker and two tears, plus a subwoofer.  The amp was £100 I think.  With the telly it's cost £1300 altogether.
(Yesterday, 10:30 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: I must admit I've never understood why people choose soundbars over an AV set up.   It needn't cost much more if you buy second hand and you can find great quality if you search about and can collect.  I think I paid £165 for the towers, a centre speaker and two tears, plus a subwoofer.  The amp was £100 I think.  With the telly it's cost £1300 altogether.
Yep. I think second hand is generally the way to go for Hi fi and speakers.
I did buy the AV new but I would certainly not buy a hi fi amp or speakers for the insane prices they want new. New is not a guarantee of better anyway.
All I would say is that you run a risk of bother if you get second hand equipment by courier.
I got one amp which worked for one day before conking out and the guy refunded me but another from a shop which didn't work on arrival and I had to go to an ombudsman to get my money back.

At least with new, you have a guarantee but you will be a lot poorer.

Soundbars are OK for a bedroom or home gym maybe but you want proper 5/7.1 for the lounge.
I have a pair of Kef Celeste speakers hiding in the cupboard along with NAD amplifier tuner and tape decks Might drag them out for and airing.
That’s Immigration sorted. It didn’t take long.
You wanted it.
You voted for it.
This government gets it done.
(Yesterday, 11:21 AM)TheBiggin Wrote: I have a pair of Kef Celeste speakers hiding in the cupboard along with NAD amplifier tuner and tape decks Might drag them out for and airing.

Liberate them immediately.

I had a pair of KEF Concords years ago. They were great big things with two bass speakers, wine glass bases, not particularly refined. The neighbours loved them. Big Grin
(Yesterday, 10:42 AM)Talons Wrote: Yep. I think second hand is generally the way to go for Hi fi and speakers.
I did buy the AV new but I would certainly not buy a hi fi amp or speakers for the insane prices they want new. New is not a guarantee of better anyway.
All I would say is that you run a risk of bother if you get second hand equipment by courier.
I got one amp which worked for one day before conking out and the guy refunded me but another from a shop which didn't work on arrival and I had to go to an ombudsman to get my money back.

At least with new, you have a guarantee but you will be a lot poorer.

Soundbars are OK for a bedroom or home gym maybe but you want proper 5/7.1 for the lounge.

Agree with all this.  Speakers especially are great to buy second hand aren't they.  I suppose they could be blown but it's pretty unlikely.  I would never post an amp, they are too fragile.  Was worried enough about the TV, but it was seriously wrapped up and banded to a pallet.  The wheelie bins are full of wrapping already.
(Yesterday, 12:28 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Agree with all this.  Speakers especially are great to buy second hand aren't they.  I suppose they could be blown but it's pretty unlikely.  I would never post an amp, they are too fragile.  Was worried enough about the TV, but it was seriously wrapped up and banded to a pallet.  The wheelie bins are full of wrapping already.
My son and I had a bit of a job getting ours out of the polystyrene and cardboard base and lifting it with those polystyrene handles because the screen is so thin and big but we got there after a few dodgy moments.

Yes, I would never buy or sell any electrical kit ever again using a courier. It just ain't worth the risk.
Speakers are a different matter unless they are loaded full of active circuit boards.