Space
What's at the end of it?  A million people could set off from earth in spacecrafts and travel in a straight line in any one of a million directions, and never meet any of the others.  And whats at the fucking end when you get there?  More space?

It makes my head hurt in truth.  Our insignifance is massive in this vastness around us.  I can't believe we are the only place with life on it.  Surely one of those million crafts would encounter life at some point, by the law of averages.  

What would be the first question you would ask if yours was the one who found other life?  (It can't involve brexit) Smile
My question would be, can you explain the offside rule to me.....
(10-10-2019, 14:04 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: What's at the end of it?  A million people could set off from earth in spacecrafts and travel in a straight line in any one of a million directions, and never meet any of the others.  And whats at the fucking end when you get there?  More space?

It makes my head hurt in truth.  Our insignifance is massive in this vastness around us.  I can't believe we are the only place with life on it.  Surely one of those million crafts would encounter life at some point, by the law of averages.  

What would be the first question you would ask if yours was the one who found other life?  (It can't involve brexit) Smile

The universe doesn't have an edge as such because it is space/time. Existence is that which is within it.

Space itself is virtually limitless. One could easily travel randomly in any direction and find nothing.

I think life from other planets or another time has probably found us already.
(10-10-2019, 15:16 PM)Talons Wrote: The universe doesn't have an edge as such because it is space/time. Existence is that which is within it.

Space itself is virtually limitless. One could easily travel randomly in any direction and find nothing.

I think life from other planets or another time has probably found us already.
Yeah that's the bit I find difficult to get my head around.  The sheer vastness of nothingness.  What's its point?

Surely it will be equally difficult for other civilisations to find us too?  Do we just look at what might be possible suns or sources of heat when trying to guess where else might contain life?  

And that's another thing, when I have a bonfire it goes out pretty quickly.  How big must the sun be that it can burn on, day after day, year after year?  Is it burning the gases around it or something, rather than itself?
(10-10-2019, 16:08 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Yeah that's the bit I find difficult to get my head around.  The sheer vastness of nothingness.  What's its point?

Surely it will be equally difficult for other civilisations to find us too?  Do we just look at what might be possible suns or sources of heat when trying to guess where else might contain life?  

And that's another thing, when I have a bonfire it goes out pretty quickly.  How big must the sun be that it can burn on, day after day, year after year?  Is it burning the gases around it or something, rather than itself?
we look at water as that shows life. 

I am sure Humans lived in Mars and moved to Earth as it became too hot.

The Sun is just a big nuclear bomb it soon will devour Mercury, venus, Earth etc......forget Climate change, Sun is getting bigger and hotter Smile
(10-10-2019, 16:08 PM)xelgin eagle Wrote: Yeah that's the bit I find difficult to get my head around.  The sheer vastness of nothingness.  What's its point?

Well if you know what you are looking for then I suppose you can narrow the searh for life. We have started this already with our exo planet project so a much older civilisation might be very good at it by now.

The Sun is a massive ball of nuclear fusion.  It will take another 8 billion years to use its fuel.
(10-10-2019, 17:36 PM)Razorsedge Wrote: we look at water as that shows life. 

The Sun is just a big nuclear bomb it soon will devour Mercury, venus, Earth etc......forget Climate change, Sun is getting bigger and hotter Smile
You are sure are you?

Where is your evidence for that? For a start, Mars isn't hot.
Fuck the universe, just because a robot man in a wheelchair comes out with mad shit about it expanding but being endless, doesn't make it true!!
All just guess work.
(10-10-2019, 17:45 PM)Talons Wrote: You are sure are you?

Where is your evidence for that?

I am from Mars.......and me wife is from Venus. 

Only Octopus is from Earth the rest are aliens.....
(10-10-2019, 18:15 PM)Razorsedge Wrote: I am from Mars.......and me wife is from Venus. 

Only Octopus is from Earth the rest are aliens.....
Maybe you shouldn't have stopped taking that medication.
(10-10-2019, 18:21 PM)Talons Wrote: Maybe you shouldn't have stopped taking that medication.

Thanks for reminding me Smile 
I am on it...now for something completely different
(10-10-2019, 17:42 PM)Talons Wrote: Well if you know what you are looking for then I suppose you can narrow the searh for life. We have started this already with our exo planet project so a much older civilisation might be very good at it by now.

The Sun is a massive ball of nuclear fusion.  It will take another 8 billion years to use its fuel.
That's true I guess.  I was just thinking how much of a speck we all are in the great scheme of things.
(10-10-2019, 18:28 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: That's true I guess.  I was just thinking how much of a speck we all are in the great scheme of things.

I do think we are a speck seen from a microscope.

But I would love to find Aliens, all joking  apart
(10-10-2019, 17:36 PM)Razorsedge Wrote: we look at water as that shows life. 

This proves that bunking off school does you no good. Mars is further away from the Sun so it is colder than the Earth.

If you got that simple well known fact wrong what does that say about your opinion on Brexit? Wink
You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.
I believe humans lived on the sun , some probably still do .
(10-10-2019, 19:00 PM)Razorsedge Wrote: I do think we are a speck seen from a microscope.

But I would love to find Aliens, all joking  apart
Come to Scotland mate.

They should call it area 52.
The size of space is indeed vast.

Voyager is heading out of our solar system if it were heading towards the nearest star (Apha Centauri) it would take 80,000 years to get there. Its 4.2 light years away.  Our Galaxy is 100,000 light years across it!!!!   Our Galaxy is one of billions of galaxy's and there are 10's/100's of thousands of light years between each of them.  Each galaxy has 100's of billions of stars!!!  We know of 100 billion galaxy's!!!

Our galaxy is traveling away from the centre of the universe at 500,000 Miles/hour.  

Its expected that the galaxy Andromeda will collide with the milky way in 4 billion years time.  1 billion years before our sun will go red dwarf and engulf earth.  Amazingly, it is thought that very few collisions of suns or planets will occur due the vast empty-ness between stars.  

However, gravitational forces will cause stars to change orbits and strip away planets. 

The sheer vastness of space makes it unlikely that we will travel to other stars unless light speed travel can be accomplished.  Which will mean proving Einstein wrong.   

If other civilizations have been around longer than us then they may have beaten this particular hurdle. 

This maybe possible.  After all Earth has been around for 4.5Billion years and we have only become intelligent enough for technology in the last 200 years.
(10-10-2019, 21:41 PM)The Groover Wrote: The size of space is indeed vast.

Voyager is heading out of our solar system if it were heading towards the nearest star (Apha Centauri) it would take 80,000 years to get there. Its 4.2 light years away.  Our Galaxy is 100,000 light years across it!!!!   Our Galaxy is one of billions of galaxy's and there are 10's/100's of thousands of light years between each of them.  Each galaxy has 100's of billions of stars!!!  We know of 100 billion galaxy's!!!

Our galaxy is traveling away from the centre of the universe at 500,000 Miles/hour.  

Its expected that the galaxy Andromeda will collide with the milky way in 4 billion years time.  1 billion years before our sun will go red dwarf and engulf earth.  Amazingly, it is thought that very few collisions of suns or planets will occur due the vast empty-ness between stars.  

However, gravitational forces will cause stars to change orbits and strip away planets. 

The sheer vastness of space makes it unlikely that we will travel to other stars unless light speed travel can be accomplished.  Which will mean proving Einstein wrong.   

If other civilizations have been around longer than us then they may have beaten this particular hurdle. 

This maybe possible.  After all Earth has been around for 4.5Billion years and we have only become intelligent enough for technology in the last 200 years.
Fuck that.
Those extinction mongs need to chill the fuck out and enjoy the ride whilst it lasts.
(10-10-2019, 21:52 PM)ChrisGC Wrote: Fuck that.
Those extinction mongs need to chill the fuck out and enjoy the ride whilst it lasts.
Your devil may care attitude has got you this far I s'pose!
(10-10-2019, 21:01 PM)The Expat Eagle Wrote: This proves that bunking off school does you no good. Mars is further away from the Sun so it is colder than the Earth.

If you got that simple well known fact wrong what does that say about your opinion on Brexit? Wink
Earth might have cut in front at the lights.