Roy
(07-02-2021, 18:29 PM)tuzza Wrote: Hodgson has done a brilliant job considering he has clueless tight absentee owners (Harris / Blitzer) & a useless recruitment director (Freedman) to work with.

I would give him a 2-year extension. He can then guide Palace to 10 consecutive seasons of top flight football - a tremendous achievement.

Yeah, we'll be talking about it for years   Undecided
(12-02-2021, 07:16 AM)...TUX... Wrote: Yeah, we'll be talking about it for years   Undecided
It is difficult.
Whilst it is an unprecedented achievement for Palace to have remained in the top flight this long, one cannot help but feel that a club in London with a huge catchment area should have been 'big' years ago. There have been many false dawns largely due to mismanagement.
The key moment for me was when Bloye sold his interest in the club and part of the ground along with it instead of realizing or perhaps caring that he could potentially make Crystal Palace a top London club. Instead, we ended up in Division 3 and bound to Sainsbury's.

Whether we like it or not, Premier League survival, boring or not, is our only way to progression in the longer term. It will probably take the sale of the club to achieve that and such things can go badly wrong. We have to have the right owners and also ones with very deep pockets. Leicester City are a good model.
Goodbye European Union. Goodbye Jeremy. Goodbye Nick. Jerk-It
(12-02-2021, 09:34 AM)Talons Wrote: It is difficult.
Whilst it is an unprecedented achievement for Palace to have remained in the top flight this long
, one cannot help but feel that a club in London with a huge catchment area should have been 'big' years ago. There have been many false dawns largely due to mismanagement.
The key moment for me was when Bloye sold his interest in the club and part of the ground along with it instead of realizing or perhaps caring that he could potentially make Crystal Palace a top London club. Instead, we ended up in Division 3 and bound to Sainsbury's.

Whether we like it or not, Premier League survival, boring or not, is our only way to progression in the longer term. It will probably take the sale of the club to achieve that and such things can go badly wrong. We have to have the right owners and also ones with very deep pockets. Leicester City are a good model.

Yeah, and despite my tongue in cheek comment, i agree.
There's an obvious advantage of being in the PL, eg funding for the academy/global exposure, and i truly hope that we really are going to benefit from our investment in youth, but i can't shift this nagging feeling that it'll all go the same way as it has always gone. 
Hopefully i wrong and this monotony will finally be worth it.
He has to go. We have not only stagnated he has actually made us go into de-evolution. We have no passion. No creativity. No drive. No defensive capabilities. No attacking capabilities. We are slow both mentally and physically. He plays players out of position. He does not give youth a chance. Goes into matches with empty spaces on the bench. 'You have sat too long for any good you have been doing ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!'
Some pretty uninspiring, and in some cases, amusing, names mentioned here:

https://www.thesackrace.com/teams/crystal-palace

Today was the first day when I really felt he has to go.  However we have to get the replacement right as he has a massive job on his hands, after years of mismanagement and underinvestment.
Reports that we may be looking to replace RH with Steve Cooper from Swansea.
Roy has a system. He has drilled that system into the players. Its one of caudtion and defensive dogma aided by some luck some brilliant goalkeeping and some flashes of brilliance. That is okay when you arevtrying to steady a ship. Its why Pukis and FSA are so good. They do the same. The difference is they can look at team and tweak it. They also look at the strengths and weaknesses of their players. They pick players that fit the roles they want filled. BUT they are bring found out too. They are stagnating as arecwe. The worst is Roy becsuse he cannot change his 40 year blueprint.
He has a stubnornbloyalty to senior players. My view of Roy prior to him bring Palace manager was as it is today. As England manager he was okay qualifying for a tournament. He was abysmal at tournaments. The argument that he needs better players doesn't hold. He had a big pool of players to chose from in 2014 and 2016.He failed both times miserably brcsuse tournaments mean winning games NOT avoiding defeat. He was snd is unable to see the on field problems or tactical switches during games. We all know he is very reactive in game management but usually too slow. He never changes anything at half time unless a player is injured or isn't fit enough because of lack of game time. We have been poor most games against 10 men...WBA was an outlier result. Thankfully as 11 v 11 we were struggling). Villa(2021 3 0)Brighton(2018 3 0) Wolves (2019 1 1 after leading 1 0) and others we have struggled and failed in. We don't change our approach or dynamics or tactics. We plod on. Get desperate leave gaps and then concede again. I've lost track of the ludicrous substitutions. Mostly like for like sometimes bizarre (a defender for Midfielder when losing at home). Even then the changes mostly are far too late.
Yesterday the selection was ill though out. Overloaded with forwards with no change to tactics. No one to provide service to 2 strikers. MF player at CB with 2 on the bench. PVA who has not been grat replacing Mitchell again...why? It almost seems deliberate. Do he can say...see I tried to be more expansive and have an attacking line up but the players aren't good enough...not my fault. That's why I have 3 DMs That's why we sit back and rely on Wilf magic so much.
Oh and I don't fill all the bench as I don't see point if I'm not going to use them.
If that's the case just have 3 subs Roy. The ones you aways use.
I defy anyone to identify what the gsmeplan was yesterday and against Leeds. Its not just the injury list. Because we have the defenders and we have forwards. We even have midfielders. Who was missing that he'd play...that's right McArthy snf McArthur and Wilf. Many clubs have far morec1stctesmerscouy and cope by playing players in a system that suits the available players notvvice versa
Fulham winning today is ominous. They are 11 points behind with game in hand and others behind us are only 5 points or less behind . What coukd have been a trouble free season is now looking ominous
(14-02-2021, 21:04 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: Fulham winning today is ominous. They are 11 points behind with game in hand and others behind us are only 5 points or less behind . What coukd have been a trouble free season is now looking ominous
Agree. Those results vs Burnley and Leeds are shocking. We were never in the games either.
(14-02-2021, 15:15 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: Roy has a system. He has drilled that system into the players.  Its one of caudtion and defensive dogma aided by some luck some brilliant goalkeeping and some flashes of brilliance. That is okay when you arevtrying to steady a ship. Its why Pukis and FSA are so good. They do the same. The difference is they can look at team and tweak it. They also look at the strengths and weaknesses of their players. They pick players that fit the roles they want filled. BUT they are bring found out too. They are stagnating as arecwe. The worst is Roy becsuse he cannot change his 40 year blueprint.
He has a stubnornbloyalty to senior players. My view of Roy prior to him bring Palace manager was as it is today. As England manager he was okay qualifying for a tournament.  He was abysmal at tournaments. The argument that he needs better players doesn't hold. He had a big pool of players to chose from in 2014 and 2016.He failed both times miserably brcsuse tournaments mean winning games NOT avoiding defeat. He was snd is unable to see the on field problems or tactical switches during games. We all know he is very reactive in game management but usually too slow. He never changes anything at half time unless a player is injured or isn't fit enough because of lack of game time. We have been poor most games against 10 men...WBA was an outlier result. Thankfully as 11 v 11 we were struggling). Villa(2021 3 0)Brighton(2018 3 0) Wolves (2019 1 1 after leading 1 0) and others we have struggled and failed in.  We don't change our approach or dynamics or tactics. We plod on. Get desperate leave gaps and then concede again. I've lost track of the ludicrous substitutions. Mostly like for like sometimes bizarre (a defender for Midfielder when losing at home). Even then the changes mostly are far too late.
Yesterday the selection was ill though out. Overloaded with forwards with no change to tactics. No one to provide service to 2 strikers. MF player at CB with 2 on the bench. PVA who has not been grat replacing Mitchell again...why? It almost seems deliberate. Do he can say...see I tried to be more expansive and have an attacking line up but the players aren't good enough...not my fault. That's why I have 3 DMs That's why we sit back and rely on Wilf magic so much. 
Oh and I don't fill all the bench as I don't see point if I'm not going to use them.
If that's the case just have 3 subs Roy. The ones you aways use.
I defy anyone to identify what the gsmeplan was yesterday and against Leeds. Its not just the injury list. Because we have the defenders and we have forwards. We even have midfielders. Who was missing that he'd play...that's right McArthy snf McArthur and Wilf. Many clubs have far morec1stctesmerscouy and cope by playing players in a system that suits the available players notvvice versa

I know you love Roy LH but I have to agree with you about yesterday.  Yes I know we have a lot of injuries and no Wilf, but yesterday was a horrible, paceless, disjointed mess.  I sort of understood him starting Benteke and Batshuayi but they badly let him and everyone else down.  That said, the service to them was shocking and Kouyate and Dann together was horrible yet again.

Having calmed down a bit now I think it was glaringly obvious that Kouyate should play in midfield and not centre back anymore ever.  Its not his position and Cahill is a much better leader.  Talking of round pegs, Mitchell should play left back and Ward should play right back.  Eze should play centrally behind the strikers and Townsend and PVA should play in their natural positions.  Roy has to find the centre forward partnership between Benteke, Ayew and Mateta.  Send Batshit Dyer back.  Luka needs dropping.  OK having typed that I realise I haven't calmed down all that much.  All I can see is that we need a proper defence, a proper midfield, proper strikers, and a proper plan by next Monday.
(14-02-2021, 21:24 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: I know you love Roy LH but I have to agree with you about yesterday.  Yes I know we have a lot of injuries and no Wilf, but yesterday was a horrible, paceless, disjointed mess.  I sort of understood him starting Benteke and Batshuayi but they badly let him and everyone else down.  That said, the service to them was shocking and Kouyate and Dann together was horrible yet again.

Having calmed down a bit now I think it was glaringly obvious that Kouyate should play in midfield and not centre back anymore ever.  Its not his position and Cahill is a much better leader.  Talking of round pegs, Mitchell should play left back and Ward should play right back.  Eze should play centrally behind the strikers and Townsend and PVA should play in their natural positions.  Roy has to find the centre forward partnership between Benteke, Ayew and Mateta.  Send Batshit Dyer back.  Luka needs dropping.  OK having typed that I realise I haven't calmed down all that much.  All I can see is that we need a proper defence, a proper midfield, proper strikers, and a proper plan by next Monday.
And a proper manager  Big Grin
Obviously losing Wilf is a blow but Roy seems to forget why we get beat and repeats the same formula.

Why Benteke? Why Van Aarnholt? Why 4-4-2? Why Eze on the wing?

It doesn't work

Put Wardy and Cahill back in, play Mitchell with Batshyui, Eze and Wilf behind Mateta. Without Wilf it will have to be Townsend or Ayew sadly.

We have seriously missed Schlupp and Tomkins and our failure to strengthen certain positions has had predictable results.
Goodbye European Union. Goodbye Jeremy. Goodbye Nick. Jerk-It
(15-02-2021, 13:51 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: And a proper manager  Big Grin
Big Grin

I think Roy is here until the end of the season, come what may.  I reckon the rumours about Steve Cooper, Swanseas defensive minded manager, are true.  You wont go down with a good defence, which is all Parish and the yanks care about.  Whether he will come to us however, is another question.  Why would he want to, especially if they go up.  We have more chance of getting Mini Cooper.
(15-02-2021, 15:54 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Big Grin

I think Roy is here until the end of the season, come what may.  I reckon the rumours about Steve Cooper, Swanseas defensive minded manager, are true.  You wont go down with a good defence, which is all Parish and the yanks care about.  Whether he will come to us however, is another question.  Why would he want to, especially if they go up.  We have more chance of getting Mini Cooper.
Or mini mouse?
(15-02-2021, 15:54 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Big Grin

On a different tack. Don't you think it would make sense to identify the new manager and bring him in sooner rather than later? Give him chance to look at squad nd identify those he coukd work with and those we can let go? Also identify his targets for the coming season? Also it may lead to a bounce in performance which will ensure safety. At the moment we lok flat and demotivated. Roy looks lost without his 10 DMs. It makes sense to me at least. But it wkukd do as it means Roy will be gone Sad
The bloke is totally lacking in any ambition. No wonder the players show no emotion or passion https://www.theguardian.com/football/202...erambition
(22-02-2021, 07:52 AM)DaiLaffing Wrote: The bloke is totally lacking in any ambition. No wonder the players show no emotion or passion https://www.theguardian.com/football/202...erambition
His attitude reflects that of the board. Sick of the lot of them.

Lots and lots of Palace fans come out with the “careful what you wish for” and “look what happened to Charlton” fear mongering. I don’t understand it. Why not look at Leicester instead? 

For me it’s simple. If your ambition is to finish in the top 7 (Europe) and you build a team around that ambition, yet you fall short, you finish mid table. If your ambition is to just stay in the league every season and you fall short, you get relegated. Every team eventually misses their target...

We’ve had nearly 10 seasons to progress our ambition and grow into an established premier league team challenging for a top 7 finish. When we are eventually relegated this will be a case of opportunity missed.
(22-02-2021, 08:05 AM)ChrisGC Wrote: His attitude reflects that of the board. Sick of the lot of them.

Lots and lots of Palace fans come out with the “careful what you wish for” and “look what happened to Charlton” fear mongering. I don’t understand it. Why not look at Leicester instead? 

For me it’s simple. If your ambition is to finish in the top 7 (Europe) and you build a team around that ambition, yet you fall short, you finish mid table. If your ambition is to just stay in the league every season and you fall short, you get relegated. Every team eventually misses their target...

We’ve had nearly 10 seasons to progress our ambition and grow into an established premier league team challenging for a top 7 finish. When we are eventually relegated this will be a case of opportunity missed.
He Clearly wants a new contract. As happy as I was thstvee won today I spent the entire game getting angrier and angrier at the ineptitude on the pitch. These players are no mugs. They seem to have no sense of adventure in their approach. Hzd we lost that 4 1 it would not have flattered Brighton. Of course people will say we won don't moan. But really it was shite  I said in a post somewhere that I can't think of a game where we were dominantly and won...maybe Sheff United. The WBA result was due to the sending off.
(22-02-2021, 22:51 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: He Clearly wants a new contract. As happy as I was thstvee won today I spent the entire game getting angrier and angrier at the ineptitude on the pitch. These players are no mugs. They seem to have no sense of adventure in their approach. Hzd we lost that 4 1 it would not have flattered Brighton. Of course people will say we won don't moan. But really it was shite  I said in a post somewhere that I can't think of a game where we were dominantly and won...maybe Sheff United. The WBA result was due to the sending off.
Great result, but very lucky. That’s all it boiled down to. Before that it was ducking awful. I can’t go on watching this dross for another season under Hodgson.