Prozac - The Drug Of The Nation
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ant...31901.html

70 million prescriptions issued last year for 7 million users, one in six 18-65 year olds, and 1 in 5 over 65's.  Are doctors just chucking drugs at the problem because they are all massively overworked?
I thought in Scotland it was Heroin……………………………………..must've watched Trainspotting to many times.
Disgusting. I had severe back pain a few years ago and was prescribed amyltriptoline (probably wrong spelling). I started acting crazy then my wife read the insert and it was a drug for schizophrenics!
Doctors are fucking shit these days.
Maybe he didn't have the heart to tell you what was really the problem Big Grin 

I can say that as my mum had schizophrenia.
Shocking thing to have, truly shocking. Schizophrenia that is, not back pain. Although back pain can be a little uncomfortable as well.
Lol trust me the pain was 24/7 unbearable , when I questioned the”doctor” I was told it was to help me sleep ffs.
Sorry to hear that about your mum .
(05-10-2019, 12:53 PM)Bones14 Wrote: Maybe he didn't have the heart to tell you what was really the problem Big Grin 

I can say that as my mum had schizophrenia.
Shocking thing to have, truly shocking. Schizophrenia that is, not back pain. Although back pain can be a little uncomfortable as well.
I had back pain yesterday.  Seems ok today though.  Fuck having that all the time.

70 million prescriptions though.  That's just nuts.
(05-10-2019, 13:36 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: I had back pain yesterday.  Seems ok today though.  Fuck having that all the time.

70 million prescriptions though.  That's just nuts.
Mines tweaking from breaking into my house the other day.
I had a schizophrenic student once. Very difficult not knowing 'who' you would be tutoring that day. Too difficult for mainstream school to deal with. She got a place in a special needs school in the end which was perfect for her.
Poor parents though, such a tough job.
(05-10-2019, 09:51 AM)Bones14 Wrote: I thought in Scotland it was Heroin……………………………………..must've watched Trainspotting to many times.

^^^^ 

That is what I thought too Smile
The war on drugs is laughable when there are addicts in the community on legally prescribed drugs.
A question does being on drugs like prozac affect driving? It is after all mind altering...or is supposed to be? Just a thought I'm not a medical expert.
(05-10-2019, 15:17 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: The war on drugs is laughable when there are addicts in the community on legally prescribed drugs.
A question does being on drugs like prozac affect driving? It is after all mind altering...or is supposed to be? Just a thought I'm not a medical expert.
Over 20% of the population, not just a few is it.  Shows the scale of social problems like anxiety etc.  I'm probably in the minority but I'd prefer to be focussing on solutions to get that number down, rather than fucking about with shit like brexit.

It's an interesting question about driving.  I think it's deemed safe as it's non drowsy, but it must be mind altering otherwise nobody would take them.
(05-10-2019, 15:17 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: The war on drugs is laughable when there are addicts in the community on legally prescribed drugs.

It doesn't effect driving. It is just an SSRI and increases serotonin. It doesn't make the taker high, sleepy or anything else. Just a little happier.
You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.
(05-10-2019, 12:36 PM)Richard Sole Wrote: Disgusting. I had severe back pain a few years ago and was prescribed amyltriptoline (probably wrong spelling). I started acting crazy then my wife read the insert and it was a drug for schizophrenics!
Doctors are fucking shit these days.
I'll PM you my address do you can forward them on, got to have a bang on those bad boys!
Anti depressants are like putting a plaster on a broken leg as far as I'm concerned. Therapeutic care is the answer. Drugs just mask the symptoms and don't deal with the root cause of unhappiness/ mental trauma in my opinion.
Having a chat with a mate, structured counseling etc are far more effective in addressing the issue.
That said, I reckon half of its bullshit anyway, we're a nation of cry babies by in large.
(05-10-2019, 22:07 PM)ChrisGC Wrote: I'll PM you my address do you can forward them on, got to have a bang on those bad boys!
Big Grin

You say that now Smile

My cousin has suffered from schizophrenia for years, he thinks the birds are talking in a language to him.  He smokes dope from the minute he wakes up till he goes to bed, all his teeth are fucked and he'll never be able to work.  He's 48.  He's been on every prescription drug imaginable, some that just completely mong him out.  My aunty says the doctors think the easiest way to deal with it is just more drugs.  He's the most talented musician I know, plays the piano and bass guitar brilliantly.  Kills me every time at chess too.  But he can't interact with other people or the opposite sex.  It's really sad as I know there's probably someone out there somewhere for him who is very similar, but he's never met her.  Now I know this thread is more about antidepressants and anxiety, but I would agree that counselling or even just sitting about chatting in an environment where he feels safe and when he isn't monged out to fuck seems to make him much better until his demons take over.  We talk about Palace and music and have a laugh about things.  I dunno, it's just one example, but on the railway we seem to be dealing with more and more suicides.  I think we might be getting sick as a country a bit, and a lot of these issues aren't being dealt with properly because of shit like brexit.
(05-10-2019, 22:07 PM)ChrisGC Wrote: I'll PM you my address do you can forward them on, got to have a bang on those bad boys!
If you want to go out armed with weapons looking for rows you’re welcome lol.
(05-10-2019, 22:39 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Big Grin

You say that now Smile

My cousin has suffered from schizophrenia for years, he thinks the birds are talking in a language to him.  He smokes dope from the minute he wakes up till he goes to bed, all his teeth are fucked and he'll never be able to work.  He's 48.  He's been on every prescription drug imaginable, some that just completely mong him out.  My aunty says the doctors think the easiest way to deal with it is just more drugs.  He's the most talented musician I know, plays the piano and bass guitar brilliantly.  Kills me every time at chess too.  But he can't interact with other people or the opposite sex.  It's really sad as I know there's probably someone out there somewhere for him who is very similar, but he's never met her.  Now I know this thread is more about antidepressants and anxiety, but I would agree that counselling or even just sitting about chatting in an environment where he feels safe and when he isn't monged out to fuck seems to make him much better until his demons take over.  We talk about Palace and music and have a laugh about things.  I dunno, it's just one example, but on the railway we seem to be dealing with more and more suicides.  I think we might be getting sick as a country a bit, and a lot of these issues aren't being dealt with properly because of shit like brexit.
Crikey that’s rough Elgin, mental illness is increasing I feel but why are people getting like this? Is it a reflection of an increasingly sick society?
(06-10-2019, 03:42 AM)Richard Sole Wrote: If you want to go out armed with weapons looking for rows you’re welcome lol.
I do that anyway, just want to be buzzing off my tits when I do lol
(06-10-2019, 03:48 AM)Richard Sole Wrote: Crikey that’s rough Elgin, mental illness is increasing I feel but why are people getting like this? Is it a reflection of an increasingly sick society?
I dunno mate.  But there's quite a lot of people who don't like taking pills or seeing doctors as well aren't there.  In my cousins case, in terms of support networks there is fuck all.  I think he would benefit from group therapy as he could identify with others suffering similarly and not feel so alone, even if he might not feel able to communicate at first.  Having a drop in place staffed by trained counsellors or Doctors that people could access to talk about their issues together would be a good middle ground I think between the doctor and Samaritans, and might well take the pressure off both.

Is society getting sicker?  More anxious I would say, and less able to enjoy life as it should be enjoyed.  If 20% are needing antidepressants with a lot more fighting without them that stat does point to a big problem that wasn't as big before.
Problem is elgin, the first step to getting better is acceptance of your illness.

My mum was diagnosed in 1979 at age 34, I was only 7 at the time. By the time she accepted she had the issue, it was 1987. 8 years of going in and out of mental institutions, 8 years of being a guinea pig for the drugs to find what worked and what doses to give her that quelled some of the side effects. It's a condition that today, they still cant find enough of a happy medium so as these people can live a 50% life without there being to much overflow from the condition/drugs.

Police and ambulances at your door every second week because she went berserk. Walking into a hospital seeing your mum in a straightjacket, or just completely bombed out from the drugs. And this is only your mother, as the other patients were completely knackered as well which you have a close view of. How do you get better in a place like that, when you are constantly surrounded by other lunatics that don't have tourettes but certainly sound like they do.

I genuinely never new my mother. As far as I can remember she was always sick, always. The best conversation I had with my mum was one night after being out with my mates, we (mates) had a few hash cones Big Grin , I got home and she made me some food. My dad was in the lounge watching tele and her and I in the kitchen. She'd not long got out of hospital again and was on a new drug which seemed like she was constantly ripped. Anyway, we both had a conversation and we seriously had tears rolling down our faces from laughter as the chat was so bloody ridiculous it never made sense. My father came in wondering what all the commotion was, we both looked at him and laughed, then she told him to fuck off, to which I roared from the bottom of my lungs and we continued to talk about nothing.
I woke up the next morning and thought to myself, holy shit, that was a weird night and could only then understand that my mum was all over the shop. How sad a life she had, and that was only compounded by the fact in 1992 she had renal failure due to all the drugs that she had put through her 55kg body. Doctors are living in hope with their diagnosis and prescriptions as we are of having a semi normal relative. It's a fucked up world, it really is. There's very few winners in that type of life as we know it.

My dad looked after her until 2011 when she passed away. 32 years he devoted his life to her and never once thought about leaving her. He even knocked out a doctor in 1980 who said the best thing you can do is divorce her and take your kids. The drugs can help, but its the support and love from family that keep them alive.