Potholes On The Roads , Getting Better Or Worse In Your Area ?
I live in sussex , and the roads in rural areas are a fucking accident waiting to happen .  A lot of main roads arent much better either . Be interesting to hear what state the roads are in elsewhere and how proactive your councils are in repairing them, because mine seems oblivious ! Wankers ..
We are a country of pot holes. It is getting worse and soon people in me area can visit Australia using one of these potholes....
I don't think they have the money to repair them.  I've noticed more and more potholes in recent years.  Plus they don't cut the hedgerows as often.  Country roads are a nightmare in the summer.  Mind you, you should see the potholes in Russia.  I think the water freezes then when the ice thaws it expands, breaking up the road.  Something like that anyway.
(01-07-2019, 06:49 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: I don't think they have the money to repair them.  I've noticed more and more potholes in recent years.  Plus they don't cut the hedgerows as often.  Country roads are a nightmare in the summer.  Mind you, you should see the potholes in Russia.  I think the water freezes then when the ice thaws it expands, breaking up the road.  Something like that anyway.

Thats exactly what causes them elgin,  and after lsst years heavy snow etc it caused havoc .  A good friend of mine works for east sussex council and i gave him some earache one night after i clouted a crater about a mile from my house .  I was surprised to hear that the road tax we pay does not go towards the maintenance of roads , only very indirectly . So in short its down to the council to do the repairs , which is a bit worrying as every single council in the country is pleading poverty .  last look he did for me via his contacts was a bit of a shock , over 3000 in east sussex alone .
Considering the amount motorists pay it’s a disgrace.

I did a wheel in on my way to Hastings.  They just repair the worst of them and wait until those not so bad get dangerous.  Angry
It ain't just rural roads that suffer from the curse of potholes. I live on a residential street in the borough of Lewisham, and some of the potholes on my road are the size of modest bomb craters. It seems like nowadays unless the road is deemed to be a major artery, proper pothole repairs are something you can only dream about.

Our street is also designated as a "rat run route" for emergency services, so instead of sleeping policemen running right across the road, we have those stupid "speed cushions", and a few months back, when one pothole next to one of these cushions got too large to ignore (presumably an ambulance or police crew had complained...) a contractor called out to repair the hole. As it was right outside my house, I was privileged to watch the entire process:

- lorry with 2 navvies turns up
- navvy #1 jumps out with a bucket, fills it with tarred gravel from the back of the lorry
- navvy #1 throws the tarred gravel in the pothole
- navvy #2 reverses the rear wheel of the lorry over the pothole to tamp down the tarred gravel
- navvy #1 jumps back in lorry,lorry drives off.

Total time elapsed - 5 minutes.
Total time before freshly deployed tarred gravel has been spread all over the road by traffic and the pothole is back- about 6 hours.

Wonder how much the contractor charged Lewisham council for that?
(01-07-2019, 12:25 PM)HonorOakBloke Wrote: It ain't just rural roads that suffer from the curse of potholes. I live on a residential street in the borough of Lewisham, and some of the potholes on my road are the size of modest bomb craters. It seems like nowadays unless the road is deemed to be a major artery, proper pothole repairs are something you can only dream about.

Our street is also designated as a "rat run route" for emergency services, so instead of sleeping policemen running right across the road, we have those stupid "speed cushions", and a few months back, when one pothole next to one of these cushions got too large to ignore (presumably an ambulance or police crew had complained...) a contractor called out to repair the hole. As it was right outside my house, I was privileged to watch the entire process:

- lorry with 2 navvies turns up
- navvy #1 jumps out with a bucket, fills it with tarred gravel from the back of the lorry
- navvy #1 throws the tarred gravel in the pothole
- navvy #2 reverses the rear wheel of the lorry over the pothole to tamp down the tarred gravel
- navvy #1 jumps back in lorry,lorry drives off.

Total time elapsed - 5 minutes.
Total time before freshly deployed tarred gravel has been spread all over the road by traffic and the pothole is back- about 6 hours.

Wonder how much the contractor charged Lewisham council for that?
It's a bloody joke isn't it.  Considering what it costs you or your insurance if you drive down one in tyres and repairs you would think there would be a good business to be made from getting a tarmac lorry and going round filling in all the holes properly.  I suppose the problem as always is who pays you?  The council, insurance company, or punter.  Maybe each insurance company could have some bit set aside for pothole repairs or something.  Nah, that wouldn't work would it.  Fuck knows.  There must be a better way.
Just checked £50billion is taken from motorist. £15billion spent.
(01-07-2019, 13:25 PM)The Groover Wrote: Just checked £50billion is taken from motorist. £15billion spent.
That 15 bil ,  is that the total for road building including maintenance , or just building ?  Either way there is no excuse for the lack of money to solve this issue .
(01-07-2019, 13:33 PM)roasthimvinnie Wrote: That 15 bil ,  is that the total for road building including maintenance , or just building ?  Either way there is no excuse for the lack of money to solve this issue .

All spending  Dodgy