Newcastle Discussion
Although we haven't won in 2020 yet i'm thinking 2 more wins will do it.  Given that we have 12 games left and the next 4 all winnable this should be achievable given some of the shit below us.  Newcastle were dogshit before they scored with their only chance up there.  Personally I hate the Luka/McArthur/McCarthy midfield, and think it is a lot of why we don't create much and score less.  Hopefully we can be a little less negative at home and help the forwards a bit more.  Dunno what the other comrades think.
I’ll be well happy sneaking a 1-0
We’re down.
(09-02-2020, 21:43 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Although we haven't won in 2020 yet i'm thinking 2 more wins will do it.  Given that we have 12 games left and the next 4 all winnable this should be achievable given some of the shit below us.  Newcastle were dogshit before they scored with their only chance up there.  Personally I hate the Luka/McArthur/McCarthy midfield, and think it is a lot of why we don't create much and score less.  Hopefully we can be a little less negative at home and help the forwards a bit more.  Dunno what the other comrades think.
Do you hand on heart honestly believe there will be a change? Possibly Kouyate for McArthur. The fact CB scored means AT will not return and Ayew will again be a makeshift wide man. You know it I know it and I'm sure my mother knows it and she has absolutely no interest in sport.
Personally I'd like to see Kouyate and Jairo shield the back four with Meyer behind Ayew with Wilf and AT hugging the touchline....it wont happen.
(10-02-2020, 20:54 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: Do you hand on heart honestly believe there will be a change? Possibly Kouyate for McArthur. The fact CB scored means AT will not return and Ayew will again be a makeshift wide man. You know it I know it and I'm sure my mother knows it and she has absolutely no interest in sport.
Personally I'd like to see Kouyate and Jairo shield the back four with Meyer behind Ayew with Wilf and AT hugging the touchline....it wont happen.
That would be exciting to watch and very different from the turgid midfield which im sure has now been worked out by most teams unsurprisingly.  I know Roy favours organisation over the element of surprise though, so yes, it wont happen.
(10-02-2020, 21:02 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: That would be exciting to watch and very different from the turgid midfield which im sure has now been worked out by most teams unsurprisingly.  I know Roy favours organisation over the element of surprise though, so yes, it wont happen.
Do I sense a slight move towards Roy fatigue even from you?
We’re down.
(10-02-2020, 21:14 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: Do I sense a slight move towards Roy fatigue even from you?
Big Grin Nobody is beyond criticism when results are poor are they.  Theres just shades of blame.  Window after window of ineptitude has to be the biggest thing to blame though.  Its left him with an aging, limited squad and targetman striking options without wingers.  Surely the worst combination for any squad.  However its still a squad being paid over 115 million pounds a year, so surely there must be at least 4 goalscoring options in its 25 man squad.  What, there is one?  And he has 1 goal in 37?  In any sane world that would have been addressed 3 windows ago.  Dont even get me started on the full back situation.  We are Barnstoneworth.  Roy has done miracles, but you cant pull rabbits out of hats forever, and surely theres a time and a place to play 3dm's.  Not every week, home or away.
Good post EE
(10-02-2020, 22:30 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Big Grin Nobody is beyond criticism when results are poor are they.  Theres just shades of blame.  Window after window of ineptitude has to be the biggest thing to blame though.  Its left him with an aging, limited squad and targetman striking options without wingers.  Surely the worst combination for any squad.  However its still a squad being paid over 115 million pounds a year, so surely there must be at least 4 goalscoring options in its 25 man squad.  What, there is one?  And he has 1 goal in 37?  In any sane world that would have been addressed 3 windows ago.  Dont even get me started on the full back situation.  We are Barnstoneworth.  Roy has done miracles, but you cant pull rabbits out of hats forever, and surely theres a time and a place to play 3dm's.  Not every week, home or away.
Accepting that transfer windows have been poor it doesnt address why all our forwards are sh*te or should I say short of goals. I dont remember any forward under Roy missing hat full of chances in a game or come to think of it ..in a series if games. The squad is aging but I strongly believe it's the type of squad Roy likes. I refuse to believe we have no one worthy of being given a few substitution run outs or even starts in the u23s. Especially during the xmas period and piling up of injuries. Is Sorloth crap or badly treated by Roy. People saying Turkish league is Championship standard...but a lot of good strikers in EPL did well in Championship. I personally thought Sorloth was as deserving of chances as CB and based on last years form more so than Ayew. He did reasonably well in his cameo appearances as sub. The not playing of Camarasa will always raise questions in my mind as does the lack of use of Jairo over the past 2 seasons. Dont believe he was suddenly good enough to do a solid job during injury crisis but wasnt before or apparently since. The same with AWB. Nowhere to be seen. Fosu-Mensah was preferred until an injury crisis. AWB is a revelation and dropped as soon as Ward fit. I can accept losing I can even accept poor performances. I wouldnt be a palace supporter if I couldn't..but I cant accept a manager that is stubborn and yes I believe as arrogant as Roy when he has only one system one plan and does not have any tactical awareness. Our set plays are abysmal and have been for almost 2 seasons if not more under Roy. Done feck all to try and resolve it. Or it seems. Sorry to rant on. But it frustrates me so much. It wouldnt surprise me that we dont bring in players because it's a waste of money. Roy wont use them.
(10-02-2020, 23:09 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: Accepting that transfer windows have been poor it doesnt address why all our forwards are sh*te or should I say short of goals. I dont remember any forward under Roy missing hat full of chances in a game or come to think of it ..in a series if games. The squad is aging but I strongly believe it's the type of squad Roy likes. I refuse to believe we have no one worthy of being given a few substitution run outs or even starts in the u23s. Especially during the xmas period and piling up of injuries. Is Sorloth crap or badly treated by Roy. People saying Turkish league is Championship standard...but a lot of good strikers in EPL did well in Championship. I personally thought Sorloth was as deserving of chances as CB and based on last years form more so than Ayew. He did reasonably well in his cameo appearances as sub. The not playing of Camarasa will always raise questions in my mind as does the lack of use of Jairo over the past 2 seasons. Dont believe he was suddenly good enough to do a solid job during injury crisis but wasnt before or apparently since. The same with AWB. Nowhere to be seen. Fosu-Mensah was preferred until an injury crisis. AWB is a revelation and dropped as soon as Ward fit. I can accept losing I can even accept poor performances. I wouldnt be a palace supporter if I couldn't..but I cant accept a manager that is stubborn and yes I believe as arrogant as Roy when he has only one system one plan and does not have any tactical awareness. Our set plays are abysmal and have been for almost 2 seasons if not more under Roy. Done feck all to try and resolve it. Or it seems. Sorry to rant on. But it frustrates me so much. It wouldnt surprise me that we dont bring in players because it's a waste of money. Roy wont use them.
Good post, entitled to your own opinion.
(10-02-2020, 22:30 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Big Grin Nobody is beyond criticism when results are poor are they.  Theres just shades of blame.  Window after window of ineptitude has to be the biggest thing to blame though.  Its left him with an aging, limited squad and targetman striking options without wingers.  Surely the worst combination for any squad.  However its still a squad being paid over 115 million pounds a year, so surely there must be at least 4 goalscoring options in its 25 man squad.  What, there is one?  And he has 1 goal in 37?  In any sane world that would have been addressed 3 windows ago.  Dont even get me started on the full back situation.  We are Barnstoneworth.  Roy has done miracles, but you cant pull rabbits out of hats forever, and surely theres a time and a place to play 3dm's.  Not every week, home or away.
Very much agree with this.

I’ve always been of the opinion that you can’t play negatively and expect positive results. Roy is a numbers man, he’ll always get 40 points by doing the exact same thing week in week out. He matches the board’s ambition, who are the root cause of our ongoing problems as far as I’m concerned. I have come to respect Roy and feel it’s slightly pointless getting rid as even if we could get Pep Guardiola, what’s the point? Parish and the yanks will still be there cunting things up and aiming for 17th place spending fuck all.
It’s a very frustrating situation. What I really don’t like is the lack of willingness to have a go. We are one dimensional and that comes from playing with fear. Chelsea away was the final straw for me. We lost 2-0 against a wounded team unable to keep a clean sheet with a cobbled together back four who were there for being pressed and harried and having a go at and we sat back as usual and INVITED them on. It showed a complete lack of tactical awareness. I honestly think we’re in big trouble and Roy or the board aren’t brave enough to attack the situation and adapt to overcome. We’ll do the exact same thing in the next match as in the last one. And the one before. And the one before. And the one before....
Agree with all of that.I never got the sorloth is shit business.Id 99% say that if he’d played the last 37 games he’d have more than one goal.
(10-02-2020, 23:21 PM)ChrisGC Wrote: Very much agree with this.

I’ve always been of the opinion that you can’t play negatively and expect positive results. Roy is a numbers man, he’ll always get 40 points by doing the exact same thing week in week out. He matches the board’s ambition, who are the root cause of our ongoing problems as far as I’m concerned. I have come to respect Roy and feel it’s slightly pointless getting rid as even if we could get Pep Guardiola, what’s the point? Parish and the yanks will still be there cunting things up and aiming for 17th place spending fuck all.
It’s a very frustrating situation. What I really don’t like is the lack of willingness to have a go. We are one dimensional and that comes from playing with fear. Chelsea away was the final straw for me. We lost 2-0 against a wounded team unable to keep a clean sheet with a cobbled together back four who were there for being pressed and harried and having a go at and we sat back as usual and INVITED them on. It showed a complete lack of tactical awareness. I honestly think we’re in big trouble and Roy or the board aren’t brave enough to attack the situation and adapt to overcome. We’ll do the exact same thing in the next match as in the last one. And the one before. And the one before. And the one before....
Good analysis.  We really need to get rid of the yanks and employ professional scouts and negotiators with the agents.  Thats what will help Roy or any manager, faster, fitter, better, younger players, with the ability to beat players and get round the back.  Look at Leicester.  Thats the model for a club our size to aim towards.  We've ridden the Wilf rollercoaster for ages but now even he is getting tired of carrying us.
Sorry that was for Lombardos post
(10-02-2020, 23:09 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: Accepting that transfer windows have been poor it doesnt address why all our forwards are sh*te or should I say short of goals. I dont remember any forward under Roy missing hat full of chances in a game or come to think of it ..in a series if games. The squad is aging but I strongly believe it's the type of squad Roy likes. I refuse to believe we have no one worthy of being given a few substitution run outs or even starts in the u23s. Especially during the xmas period and piling up of injuries. Is Sorloth crap or badly treated by Roy. People saying Turkish league is Championship standard...but a lot of good strikers in EPL did well in Championship. I personally thought Sorloth was as deserving of chances as CB and based on last years form more so than Ayew. He did reasonably well in his cameo appearances as sub. The not playing of Camarasa will always raise questions in my mind as does the lack of use of Jairo over the past 2 seasons. Dont believe he was suddenly good enough to do a solid job during injury crisis but wasnt before or apparently since. The same with AWB. Nowhere to be seen. Fosu-Mensah was preferred until an injury crisis. AWB is a revelation and dropped as soon as Ward fit. I can accept losing I can even accept poor performances. I wouldnt be a palace supporter if I couldn't..but I cant accept a manager that is stubborn and yes I believe as arrogant as Roy when he has only one system one plan and does not have any tactical awareness. Our set plays are abysmal and have been for almost 2 seasons if not more under Roy. Done feck all to try and resolve it. Or it seems. Sorry to rant on. But it frustrates me so much. It wouldnt surprise me that we dont bring in players because it's a waste of money. Roy wont use them.
You make a good counter argument and fair play to sticking to it regardless of which position we have been in the league during the season.  As others have said, Roy is the classic percentages manager.  His brief is to keep the side up at all costs and he fulfils that brief.  Although its horrible to watch sometimes, its still better than Pardew after he lost his way.  You might be right about new players being lost on Roy, he has his favourites and sticks with them.  I actually think he is McArthurs Grandad.  Even so, for me his share of the blame is small.
(10-02-2020, 23:48 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: You make a good counter argument and fair play to sticking to it regardless of which position we have been in the league during the season.  As others have said, Roy is the classic percentages manager.  His brief is to keep the side up at all costs and he fulfils that brief.  Although its horrible to watch sometimes, its still better than Pardew after he lost his way.  You might be right about new players being lost on Roy, he has his favourites and sticks with them.  I actually think he is McArthurs Grandad.  Even so, for me his share of the blame is small.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again Elgin,Roy is a 4 points every 3 games manager and to a certain degree I’m happy with that  coz that is midtable stability.The ageing squad is a big thing.
The entertainment at Selhurst has been dire for 2-3 years now but the top brass don’t care cos Roy will keep us up on a shoestring and there’s a waiting list for STs anyway .... but the age thing is a ticking time bomb,the issue needs to be addressed in the next few windows assuming we stay up.
(11-02-2020, 00:22 AM)Richard Sole Wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again Elgin,Roy is a 4 points every 3 games manager and to a certain degree I’m happy with that  coz that is midtable stability.The ageing squad is a big thing.
The entertainment at Selhurst has been dire for 2-3 years now but the top brass don’t care cos Roy will keep us up on a shoestring and there’s a waiting list for STs anyway .... but the age thing is a ticking time bomb,the issue needs to be addressed in the next few windows assuming we stay up.
It definitely is mate.  We did seem to be looking at younger players this window, even if we ended up only signing one of them.   I cant see Wilf staying beyond this summer can you?  That'll be our lot then i think.
Big Grin 
(11-02-2020, 09:36 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: It definitely is mate.  We did seem to be looking at younger players this window, even if we ended up only signing one of them.   I cant see Wilf staying beyond this summer can you?  That'll be our lot then i think.
We stayed up in our first  season (which historically has been bad for us)without Wilf.But that team had verve and drive.I can’t see us staying up without him now though, I really can’t.If and most probably when relegation happens I’ll just look back at a good time in Palaces history or even better win the championship the next season Big Grin
(11-02-2020, 21:05 PM)Richard Sole Wrote: We stayed up in our first  season (which historically has been bad for us)without Wilf.But that team had verve and drive.I can’t see us staying up without him now though, I really can’t.If and most probably when relegation happens I’ll just look back at a good time in Palaces history or even better win the championship the next season Big Grin
There's some lively teams in the championship.  Our old timers might struggle with 46 games against them.