Miserable Pre Seasons
Currently losing 5-2 to Barnet with a few from the 25 playing, and lost the Urine Cup.  Haven't signed anyone, lost our most promising player along with a lot of attacking options, and not seemingly close to replacing any of them.

Cause for concern, or just pre-season, can't judge anything at this stage?  Experience of past Palace summers says the latter, but recent transfer windows for Roy the former.
(16-07-2019, 20:31 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Currently losing 5-2 to Barnet with a few from the 25 playing, and lost the Urine Cup.  Haven't signed anyone, lost our most promising player along with a lot of attacking options, and not seemingly close to replacing any of them.

Cause for concern, or just pre-season, can't judge anything at this stage?  Experience of past Palace summers says the latter, but recent transfer windows for Roy the former.
It's put me off of going to Bromley on Saturday.
Don't take our country back, take it forwards.
It's concerning, I'd hoped our youth players would have a bit more about them. There were some promising players out there on the pitch today, and Brandon Aveiro on the bench (a highly rated academy prospect). Hopefully a one off and they learn some lasting lessons from this. I'm not sure Sørloth has any excuses though.
Our first team got stuffed by Crawley 5 0 a few seasons ago. We did ok that year.
(16-07-2019, 21:34 PM)Glazier Wrote: It's concerning, I'd hoped our youth players would have a bit more about them. There were some promising players out there on the pitch today, and Brandon Aveiro on the bench (a highly rated academy prospect). Hopefully a one off and they learn some lasting lessons from this. I'm not sure Sørloth has any excuses though.
He always seemed like a desperation punt after we missed out on all the other targets.  Has never looked the part along with Jach, has he.  Maybe they will come good in time, who knows.  I think Sorloth was sold for 375k 12 months before we paid x milion for him.  Maybe if we signed a proper crosser of the ball?  Maybe Ayew is the plan.  All the time we can ride the Wilf roller coaster we will stay up, but the lack of ambition will eventually see him leave.  Arguably he already has in his head and it's just a matter of time now.  Must admit I thought we would have done a lot more than sign a very average 3rd keeper on a free by now, having seen so many depart.  Hopefully it's just a waiting game until the other clubs have bloated squads, then we can pick up players like Antonio cheaper.  Let's see what happens against Bromley before jumping off cliffs Smile They seemed to start ok enough against Barnet.  Not sure what happened afterwards though.  Hard to judge anything at this time of the season though, as Yuri says.  We certainly finished last season strongly enough, admittedly losing something at the back in the process.
(17-07-2019, 04:02 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: He always seemed like a desperation punt after we missed out on all the other targets.  Has never looked the part along with Jach, has he.  Maybe they will come good in time, who knows.  I think Sorloth was sold for 375k 12 months before we paid x milion for him.  Maybe if we signed a proper crosser of the ball?  Maybe Ayew is the plan.  All the time we can ride the Wilf roller coaster we will stay up, but the lack of ambition will eventually see him leave.  Arguably he already has in his head and it's just a matter of time now.  Must admit I thought we would have done a lot more than sign a very average 3rd keeper on a free by now, having seen so many depart.  Hopefully it's just a waiting game until the other clubs have bloated squads, then we can pick up players like Antonio cheaper.  Let's see what happens against Bromley before jumping off cliffs Smile They seemed to start ok enough against Barnet.  Not sure what happened afterwards though.  Hard to judge anything at this time of the season though, as Yuri says.  We certainly finished last season strongly enough, admittedly losing something at the back in the process.

Yep, hopefully Parish has a few tricks up his sleeve anyway but also exploits the buyers market if it appears.

And whilst I agree with most of this, you've ruined my usual meltdown "buzz" somewhat with your fairly sober non hyperbolic post.

I will have to go you-know-where to get it back.
Any Comrades going to Bromley on Saturday?
(18-07-2019, 09:03 AM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: Any Comrades going to Bromley on Saturday?
Not me mate, would be up for a comrade meet before hertha or any league match though. Usually go in the Selhurst railway club these days.  Nice militant location.  Cheap drinks too.
Victory club me
(17-07-2019, 21:13 PM)Glazier Wrote: Yep, hopefully Parish has a few tricks up his sleeve anyway but also exploits the buyers market if it appears.

And whilst I agree with most of this, you've ruined my usual meltdown "buzz" somewhat with your fairly sober non hyperbolic post.

I will have to go you-know-where to get it back.
Haha, don't look at me as some sort of beacon of positivity though mate, I'm as concerned as some on there.  Although the live com threads are always funny when we start badly and improve Smile

I listened to the Jordan podcasts: https://podtail.com/podcast/boot-room-to...n-between/

It was interesting what Jordan said about transfers not always equalling value for money.  Arguably investing in youth for the long term is the way to go, looking at Wilf and AWB vs our expensive signings and their now worth.
(18-07-2019, 12:14 PM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: Victory club me
Ironic name for a club.  Unless it's for away fans.
(18-07-2019, 12:24 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Haha, don't look at me as some sort of beacon of positivity though mate, I'm as concerned as some on there.  Although the live com threads are always funny when we start badly and improve Smile

I listened to the Jordan podcasts: https://podtail.com/podcast/boot-room-to...n-between/

It was interesting what Jordan said about transfers
not always equalling value for money.  Arguably investing in youth for the long term is the way to go, looking at Wilf and AWB vs our expensive signings and their now worth.
My favourite story was Ruddock being a sub because there weren't any shorts big enough for him.
(18-07-2019, 12:51 PM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: My favourite story was Ruddock being a sub because there weren't any shorts big enough for him.
Smile

I'm going to listen to another one.  Think I'm becoming a bit of a podcast addict.  Hadn't listened to one before last year.
(18-07-2019, 12:24 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Haha, don't look at me as some sort of beacon of positivity though mate, I'm as concerned as some on there.  Although the live com threads are always funny when we start badly and improve Smile

It was interesting what Jordan said about transfers not always equalling value for money.  Arguably investing in youth for the long term is the way to go, looking at Wilf and AWB vs our expensive signings and their now worth.

I'll have to give the SJ pod a go - I've watched a fair few interviews on youtube and they're all highly watchable. On that note there's a Parish podcast which was released (his most recent) a few months ago, it's very good. I'll post the link when I find it. But Jordan speaks a lot of sense, he's just not as good a leader as he is speaker.

Continuing with the positivity theme, the first team just lost 1-0 to Forest today, they were shite for a lot of the match and Roy made only one sub. Meltdown is in full flow (the live thread is just dire, it's not even funny today imo), but this time I fear there may be something to it; I can't see Zaha being here at the start of the season, and I can't see us signing someone like St-Maximin, or a decent replacement right back. 

I almost think we're back to where we were in 2013/14, squad quality wise, except then we had Bolasie.
(19-07-2019, 20:51 PM)Glazier Wrote: I'll have to give the SJ pod a go - I've watched a fair few interviews on youtube and they're all highly watchable. On that note there's a Parish podcast which was released (his most recent) a few months ago, it's very good. I'll post the link when I find it. But Jordan speaks a lot of sense, he's just not as good a leader as he is speaker.

Continuing with the positivity theme, the first team just lost 1-0 to Forest today, they were shite for a lot of the match and Roy made only one sub. Meltdown is in full flow (the live thread is just dire, it's not even funny today imo), but this time I fear there may be something to it; I can't see Zaha being here at the start of the season, and I can't see us signing someone like St-Maximin, or a decent replacement right back. 

I almost think we're back to where we were in 2013/14, squad quality wise, except then we had Bolasie.
Difficult to disagree mate.  It currently seems an aging squad devoid of flair or excitement, with still the possibility of losing Wilf.   The players currently linked (Wilkinson,  Ayew, Mounie) hardly inspire either.  Let's hope Palace are trolling us all.
Well as we are or a representative side is currently losing to Bromley we have almost had a perfect disaster of pre season to date apart from win on pens in uhren cup. Maybe we are getting all our defeats out of the way and will have an unbeaten season
(20-07-2019, 15:30 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: Well as we are or a representative side is currently losing to Bromley we have almost had a perfect disaster of pre season to date apart from win on pens in uhren cup. Maybe we are getting all our defeats out of the way and will have an unbeaten season
We can hope can't we.  The performances at Cardiff and at home to Bournemouth seem like a distant memory right about now don't they.  Amazing what taking a few key players out of a squad can do.  Let's hope they know how to put them back in the next 3 weeks and not just replace them with uninspiring overpaid constantly injured shite.  Let's hope there is a proper plan for proper players next week, and not just a cash trousering one.  Parish can hardly bemoan Noades for showing a lack of ambition in 1991 at the moment.  A duff keeper who lets in 6 to a non league side on his debut, and selling the best prospect in years to the wankiest club in the world.

Glass half empty tonight  Smile
I stayed in to watch the netball and Tour de France rather than hi to Bromley.
My son went. Said it was rubbish.
Bit less miserable today, albeit against a poor Bristol City side.  Still, cant argue with 5 nil away from home.

Hope it doesn't close the purse strings though, that was pretty much all the decent players we have starting today.
(27-07-2019, 16:06 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Bit less miserable today, albeit against a poor Bristol City side.  Still, cant argue with 5 nil away from home.

Hope it doesn't close the purse strings though, that was pretty much all the decent players we have starting today.

Agreed. Roy had a face like thunder in the post match interview too, he sees it too.