Leicester (Away) Saturday 1500
How do we see this one going?  We had the sign over these until recently.
Can't see anything beyond another humiliating capitulation, really.

On the basis of last night's performance, it looks to me like "we've got our 42 pts, we're safe for another season, we're off to the beach".

Seeing that we are safe, if I were Roy, I'd be calling first teamers into the office one by one this week to ask them two questions:

- are you really committed to playing under these strange conditions?
- and if so, are you going to bust a gut to get Palace as many points as possible for these last few games?

If the answer to either is no, then I'd drop the player in question to the bench, and bring in either a second string player or one of the kids. Give them a chance to show what they can do, stressing that "here's your chance to stake a claim for a first team slot next season".

Relegation isn't an issue now, so even if we tinker, it's not going to cause any major damage, and to be honest it's not going to result in much worse performances than we saw last night.

Squad players, if they're worth their salary, should be champing at the bit for such a chance, and - strangely enough - I reckon that the current conditions would be good to give youngsters a chance. They are used to giving it their all for the team in front of empty stands at the level they play, so the excuse of not having the crowd to back them up doesn't apply: and I would have thought that they would also jump at the chance to see how they shape up against top-flight opposition.

What have we got to lose?
Hodgson plays for 0-0, we lose 3-0. Simple as that.
(30-06-2020, 18:02 PM)HonorOakBloke Wrote: Can't see anything beyond another humiliating capitulation, really.

On the basis of last night's performance, it looks to me like "we've got our 42 pts, we're safe for another season, we're off to the beach".

Seeing that we are safe, if I were Roy, I'd be calling first teamers into the office one by one this week to ask them two questions:

- and if so, are you going to bust a gut to get Palace as many points as possible for these last few games?

If the answer to either is no, then I'd drop the player in question to the bench, and bring in either a second string player or one of the kids. Give them a chance to show what they can do, stressing that "here's your chance to stake a claim for a first team slot next season".

Relegation isn't an issue now, so even if we tinker, it's not going to cause any major damage, and to be honest it's not going to result in much worse performances than we saw last night.

Squad players, if they're worth their salary, should be champing at the bit for such a chance, and - strangely enough - I reckon that the current conditions would be good to give youngsters a chance. They are used to giving it their all for the team in front of empty stands at the level they play, so the excuse of not having the crowd to back them up doesn't apply: and I would have thought that they would also jump at the chance to see how they shape up against top-flight opposition.

Ask Steve Parish Big Grin Looking at how hard they have tried not to refund the season ticket money, I reckon he would be pointing at the couple of million per final league position place.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if Roy has been told to play full strength sides right until the final match.

Looking at what's happening in Leicester with the coronavirus outbreaks there I doubt any of the players will fancy going there Smile  Maybe they will play it at a neutral ground instead.
(30-06-2020, 20:55 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Ask Steve Parish Big Grin Looking at how hard they have tried not to refund the season ticket money, I reckon he would be pointing at the couple of million per final league position place.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if Roy has been told to play full strength sides right until the final match.

Looking at what's happening in Leicester with the coronavirus outbreaks there I doubt any of the players will fancy going there Smile  Maybe they will play it at a neutral ground instead.
Ha! True enough that - money talks, especially when as a club Palace aren't exactly at the top table when it comes to finances.

That said, it could be short-term gains only... we surely have to rebuild the team for next season, and an extra few £m for finishing 9th instead of 11th (for example) isn't going to help us much in the transfer market.

Giving the youth a run out could pay big dividends if (& I know its a big if...) we unearth even just one who is ready to step up to the first XI next season.
(01-07-2020, 05:22 AM)HonorOakBloke Wrote: Ha! True enough that - money talks, especially when as a club Palace aren't exactly at the top table when it comes to finances.

That said, it could be short-term gains only... we surely have to rebuild the team for next season, and an extra few £m for finishing 9th instead of 11th (for example) isn't going to help us much in the transfer market.

Giving the youth a run out could pay big dividends if (& I know its a big if...) we unearth even just one who is ready to step up to the first XI next season.

Yep.  When you think of all the millions spent on signing players, it's indicative that our best players (Clyne, Zaha, Wan Bissaka) have all come through the youth system.  Frank De Boer was probably too far the other way in that he would play all of them, and mostly in the wrong positions, but someone like Kieran Flanagan might have made it, instead of ended up being released.  Coronavirus has showed how TV money dictates this league and how it is run.  As if we didnt know that to our cost already!

I've always said that if we had signed Albrighron and Maddison before he got out of our league, wingers like that who could whip in crosses fast and hard, would be meat and drink to our targetmen.  Sadly we decided to never sign crossers of the ball, and loan our targetmen out, apart from Benteke, who we couldn't afford to.
Probably due to the fact that I’m still pissed from last night, but I reckon we’ll win 6-0.
(Yesterday, 08:19 AM)ChrisGC Wrote: Probably due to the fact that I’m still pissed from last night, but I reckon we’ll win 6-0.
At least 6 I reckon.  It's not like they have anything to play for, while we still have 10th in our sights.
Only seen Leicester play badly since the break, hope they dont change that trend against us
That’s Immigration sorted. It didn’t take long.
You wanted it.
You voted for it.
This government gets it done.
(Yesterday, 11:06 AM)TheBiggin Wrote: Only seen Leicester play badly since the break, hope they dont change that trend against us
I'm sure we will find a way to help them out of their lockdown. Its what we do.
Thumbs Up 
(Yesterday, 12:09 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: I'm sure we will find a way to help them out of their lockdown. Its what we do.

Cry Sadly yes.
That’s Immigration sorted. It didn’t take long.
You wanted it.
You voted for it.
This government gets it done.
(30-06-2020, 18:02 PM)HonorOakBloke Wrote: Can't see anything beyond another humiliating capitulation, really.

Thats an assumption that Roy is disappointed with their performances. He probably puts defeat at Anfield down to their brilliant play. The home defeat as unlucky as they hardly created anything and got a goal from goalkeeping error. He rarely changes his teams. Except at Anfield after Bournemouth but that we then find out was partly due to injuries. ROY DOESNT DO CHANGE
(Yesterday, 11:06 AM)TheBiggin Wrote: Only seen Leicester play badly since the break, hope they dont change that trend against us
They are 3rd for a reason though.  Expecting them to really want it today.  Hope we can force a point but hard to see much beyond that.
A couple of changes but none in an exciting attacking way. Meyer and Jairo in better than leaving MacArthur in. Would like to have seen Pierrick start and CB on bench or maybe Wilf on bench.Also drop ward for one of kids. But zzzzzzzzzz
(Yesterday, 13:19 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: A couple of changes but none in an exciting attacking way. Meyer and Jairo in better than leaving MacArthur in. Would like to have seen Lierrjck start and CB in bencg or maybe Wilf on bench.Also drop ward for one of kids. But zzzzzzzzzz
Just glad kouyate isn't starting. 
Agree we should start Meyer.

Be interesting to see if benteke was as missed and as vital to our attack as some people, fans and pundits, have said.

If we do concede let's hope we can give some of our other players a chance. Be nice to see what we have
If a teams been playing bad we make them.look good.

If a teams been winning well we get slaughtered.

That's a generalisation I know but it seems that way at times
Can anyone with sky post updates as I don't have it
Oh it's on Pick TV too!
(Yesterday, 13:27 PM)Billypalace Wrote: Just glad kouyate isn't starting. 
Agree we should start Meyer.

Be interesting to see if benteke was as missed and as vital to our attack as some people, fans and pundits, have said.

If we do concede let's hope we can give some of our other players a chance. Be nice to see what we have
According to that clueless lundit janie redknapp CB has looked reay good since the restart. Erm based in his performance against Bournemouth  and who else Jamie?
(Yesterday, 13:29 PM)Billypalace Wrote: If a teams been playing bad we make them.look good.

If a teams been winning well we get slaughtered.

That's a generalisation I know but it seems that way at times
and if a team is out of sorts ........we get beaten. A generalisation but less of one than the other.  Villa a few seasons ago a prime example.