It's A Plant!
350 million trees planted in one day!

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/07/e...04536.html
Fair play Ethiopia.
They're cutting them down in Sheffield.
Don't take our country back, take it forwards.
(02-08-2019, 20:07 PM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: 350 million trees planted in one day!

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/07/e...04536.html
Fair play Ethiopia.
They're cutting them down in Sheffield.

Absolutely.  Fair play to them.  Although I've never been there, I always associated Ethiopia with drought and famine.  If they can do it, what's stopping the rest of the planet.  Granted it's harder than it looks.  None of the oak tree acorns I planted have turned into trees.  Might have another go next year.  I think you have to keep them in the fridge all winter.  I buried mine in the garden but maybe the frost got to them or something.
(03-08-2019, 07:35 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: Absolutely.  Fair play to them.  Although I've never been there, I always associated Ethiopia with drought and famine.  If they can do it, what's stopping the rest of the planet.  Granted it's harder than it looks.  None of the oak tree acorns I planted have turned into trees.  Might have another go next year.  I think you have to keep them in the fridge all winter.  I buried mine in the garden but maybe the frost got to them or something.
Fuck oaks. Plant fruit trees everywhere, then if yer hungry, just grab an apple from the municipal trees planted all over your town.
(03-08-2019, 12:11 PM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: Fuck oaks. Plant fruit trees everywhere, then if yer hungry, just grab an apple from the municipal trees planted all over your town.
Or a plum.  Sounds pretty good to have free food everywhere.  I was looking at the diy angle though.  Can't beat oak flooring.
(03-08-2019, 20:24 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Or a plum.  Sounds pretty good to have free food everywhere.  I was looking at the diy angle though.  Can't beat oak flooring.
Fair point. 
I'm convinced localism is a way forward. Particularly when it comes to power.
Public owned town grids fed from solar and wind. Self sustainable without being at the whim of companies owned by the French state.
(03-08-2019, 20:58 PM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: Fair point. 
I'm convinced localism is a way forward. Particularly when it comes to power.
Public owned town grids fed from solar and wind. Self sustainable without being at the whim of companies owned by the French state.

It's not something I've ever thought very deeply about before, but you are right, the current system is flawed in many ways.  I wonder how much 350 million saplings cost?  That's a hell of a job lot.  Probably easier in Ethiopia to find the land required but we have a fair bit of national trust land and parks.
You need to germinate your acorn first in a pot. Use local soil from your garden and cover the acorn in a pot and place them in your garage. Autumn is the best time. Make sure the garage is not heated. Once it spurs you will have to keep watering and 're transplant it
(04-08-2019, 06:23 AM)Razorsedge Wrote: You need to germinate your acorn first in a pot. Use local soil from your garden and cover the acorn in a pot and place them in your garage. Autumn is the best time. Make sure the garage is not heated. Once it spurs you will have to keep watering and 're transplant it
Cheers mate, it's an integrated garage so never that cold.  Will try it this winter.  How deep in the soil should they go?  If I collect them this autumn and plant them straight away, when should I take them out, in the spring?  They will need light at some time surely?

You need to start a gardening thread Smile I'm shit at gardening.
(04-08-2019, 06:59 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: Cheers mate, it's an integrated garage so never that cold.  Will try it this winter.  How deep in the soil should they go?  If I collect them this autumn and plant them straight away, when should I take them out, in the spring?  They will need light at some time surely?

You need to start a gardening thread Smile I'm shit at gardening.

They don't need light initially and upto a year, year and half leave them in the pots.

If for example the acorn is an inch tall plant it and cover the acorn with an inch and half soil (hope that makes sense) but use local soil. Or choose the soil where you will be planting them oak plants
A gardening thread is a good idea
(04-08-2019, 07:04 AM)Razorsedge Wrote: They don't need light initially and upto a year, year and half leave them in the pots.

If for example the acorn is an inch tall plant it and cover the acorn with an inch and half soil (hope that makes sense) but use local soil. Or choose the soil where you will be planting them oak plants
Ok nice one.  Will gather up loads and stick them in the garage for 18 months.  Would I water the soil every couple of weeks?  How many can I put in each pot?  It's quite big, the pot.
(04-08-2019, 07:09 AM)Razorsedge Wrote: A gardening  thread is a good idea
Looks like we've got one!
You can start the saga holidays thread though.
(04-08-2019, 14:31 PM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: Looks like we've got one!
You can start the saga holidays thread though.
Oi!  How old do you have to be to go on them?

Asking for a friend.
(04-08-2019, 13:48 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Ok nice one.  Will gather up loads and stick them in the garage for 18 months.  Would I water the soil every couple of weeks?  How many can I put in each pot?  It's quite big, the pot.
I would put 4 to 6. But make sure they are evenly spaced

Sprinkle some water once a week. You don't want moss to form in the winter
(04-08-2019, 14:54 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Oi!  How old do you have to be to go on them?

Asking for a friend.
Over 50 I think....

Saga holidays here we come
(04-08-2019, 14:55 PM)Razorsedge Wrote: I would put 4 to 6. But make sure they are evenly spaced

Sprinkle some water once a week. You don't want miss to form in the winter
Ok will do.  I'll get some more pots.  Think they grow slowly but at least they soak up the rain.

Bad news about the saga.  I qualify.  I mean my friend qualifies.
(04-08-2019, 16:55 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Ok will do.  I'll get some more pots.  Think they grow slowly but at least they soak up the rain.

Do you think 80 year old spinsters hover round the gangplank to see what 'youngsters' board?
(04-08-2019, 16:55 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Ok will do.  I'll get some more pots.  Think they grow slowly but at least they soak up the rain.

Saga is good Smile 

It should read 'Moss' not 'Miss' bloody autocorrect
(04-08-2019, 18:23 PM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: Do you think 80 year old spinsters hover round the gangplank to see what 'youngsters' board?

Yay, I was never a babe magnet, but I might just be the granny magnet.....can't wait Smile
(04-08-2019, 18:23 PM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: Do you think 80 year old spinsters hover round the gangplank to see what 'youngsters' board?
I bet they choose an outside berth just for that.

'Ooh, he's got a fine head of hair, that one'
'Look how quickly he's boarding Vera'
'He could board me anyday'
Cackles/coughs