Home
Do you have one place where you can walk around and everyone knows your name? Being a bit of a gypo I have lots of places where a few people know my name and nowhere that I can really class as truly home, just places where we live.  
Quite jealous of people with strong roots.
I sadly got more than one place, where I can walk round and people know me, in different countries and continents.....I feel like a nomad...and with you EE I am jealous of people with strong roots...me wife has strong roots in Devon and I am jealous of that Sad
I'm the opposite... I long for anonymity. Everywhere I go... I seem to see someone I know... not necessarily a friend... but someone I actually know. My one thing I really like doing is, popping in to my local for a pint on the way back from taking the dog for a walk... just recently, people have started to chat to me in there...I go there for a bit of alone time... no wife asking me to do stuff, no daughter wanting to be dropped off... just me, beer and my dog.
(30-06-2019, 22:26 PM)mushroom Wrote: I'm the opposite... I long for anonymity.
I know that feeling.  I miss London and how despite the millions of people I can go anywhere and do anything without witnesses bumping into people I know.  Here in the third world every fucker knows everyone's business.  A lot of the twats a t work know each other from school, know each other's families, ARE each other's families.  This sort of thing is horrifying to a normal Londoner.

I could never move back to London now but I long to get away from this weird, tiny, insular existence.
(01-07-2019, 12:08 PM)Antichrist Wrote: I know that feeling.  I miss London and how despite the millions of people I can go anywhere and do anything without witnesses bumping into people I know.  Here in the third world every fucker knows everyone's business.  A lot of the twats a t work know each other from school, know each other's families, ARE each other's families.  This sort of thing is horrifying to a normal Londoner.

I could never move back to London now but I long to get away from this weird, tiny, insular existence.

I feel pretty similar about the 'city' where I live. Everyone knows everyone and I can't be anonymous.

I get asked often if I miss London and I always say the same, I miss a time not the place. The London I miss is the one you see in Minder or The Sweeney. Even Only Fools to a certain extent.

I don't feel I could ever move back because the city I knew isn't there any more.
My Palace blog and podcast can be found at South London and Proud.
Maybe it's like a trade off.  You get more life experiences I suppose by living in lots of places with lots of weird accents, but you definitely lose that home feeling you get if you stay in one place and grow old with a lot of the people you were young with.  The forces give you a bit of both but you are still moving every couple of years.  The 8 years I have lived here is easily the longest I have ever lived anywhere but is it home?  Is it fuck.  I will always feel like a southerner living in jockland.  I feel more at home in Cyprus, as we go there so often and have had our little flat there for 18 years.  I can't say I have any 'home' though.  Its a bit weird but comforting to know others have the same quandaries.
(01-07-2019, 16:53 PM)Swedish Expat Eagle Wrote: I feel pretty similar about the 'city' where I live. Everyone knows everyone and I can't be anonymous.

I get asked often if I miss London and I always say the same, I miss a time not the place. The London I miss is the one you see in Minder or The Sweeney. Even Only Fools to a certain extent.

I don't feel I could ever move back because the city I knew isn't there any more.

That is so true, it is the time we miss