GDPR - Necessary Or Ridiculous
My workplace has gone GDPR crazy.  For example, we have a phone book of all the drivers and conductors, which previously everyone used to use to phone each other with to get swaps.  Now, 'because of GDPR' they have to phone the person first and ask them if it's ok to give the person who wants their number, their number.  Seems mental to me. Don't put your number in a bleedin phone book if you don't want to be phoned up.

It just seems like where do you draw the line with shit like this.  Have blank offices with everything in drawers?
(05-09-2019, 09:26 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: My workplace has gone GDPR crazy.  For example, we have a phone book of all the drivers and conductors, which previously everyone used to use to phone each other with to get swaps.  Now, 'because of GDPR' they have to phone the person first and ask them if it's ok to give the person who wants their number, their number.  Seems mental to me. Don't put your number in a bleedin phone book if you don't want to be phoned up.

It just seems like where do you draw the line with shit like this.  Have blank offices with everything in drawers?

When I was on the railway it worked like that, nobody gave out someone else's number. As a union we were against it and as a ASLEF LDC rep we would never have allowed it to happen and we didn't. Even before GDPR we had data protection and personal privacy so I'd say before the change your depot was breaking the law and it isn't because of GDPR.

The TCS would always have to call the person first to ask permission or, usually, make the request for the swap. In reality a request was left in the pigeon hole. Of course this did not prevent another member of train crew giving the number out but at least it wasn't management abusing their authority and access to a directory.

Personally, I'd be pissed off is someone at my depot who I didn't like could get my number or address easily. It's open up to abuse.
(05-09-2019, 10:08 AM)The Expat Eagle Wrote: When I was on the railway it worked like that, nobody gave out someone else's number. As a union we were against it and as a ASLEF LDC rep we would never have allowed it to happen and we didn't. Even before GDPR we had data protection and personal privacy so I'd say before the change your depot was breaking the law and it isn't because of GDPR.

The TCS would always have to call the person first to ask permission or, usually, make the request for the swap. In reality a request was left in the pigeon hole. Of course this did not prevent another member of train crew giving the number out but at least it wasn't management abusing their authority and access to a directory.

Personally, I'd be pissed off is someone at my depot who I didn't like could get my number or address easily. It's open up to abuse.
What abuse though?  Surely if you had your phone number in a public phone book someone could just look you up there just the same.

I can see the need for it to a degree though.  Say I wanted to edit some of the posts I made years ago on the BBS.  Currently it tells me I am unable to log in.  Is that a GDPR infringement because some jobsworth has deemed that I am not allowed to post there anymore?

I'm conflicted by the whole issue to be honest.
(05-09-2019, 10:15 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: What abuse though?  Surely if you had your phone number in a public phone book someone could just look you up there just the same.

I can see the need for it to a degree though.  Say I wanted to edit some of the posts I made years ago on the BBS.  Currently it tells me I am unable to log in.  Is that a GDPR infringement because some jobsworth has deemed that I am not allowed to post there anymore?

I'm conflicted by the whole issue to be honest.

I didn't have my number the public phone book. Last estimates are that 51% are ex-directory and most of my colleagues were. Besides phone books no longer exist and BT or 118 charge for the service. Smile Baring in mind I live in a country where every piece of information on me can be looked up it is only my phone number that I can insist is kept secret unless I get a court order to hide the rest. Smile

Yes, being unable to edit the posts on the BBS is a GDPR infringement but that is a separate issue. Smile

There are a lot of cases being brought to the courts about facial recognition records being kept and even banning councils and governments from keeping records of claims, etc. after the time limit. So if you went to the social for help 8 years ago and then go next week they should have no record of your previous visit.

Over here people have been sacked by the council for looking up details of cases they are not working on.

Yeah, the question is how do people find out but that is a different problem for a different day. Smile
Expat, I keep agreeing with you, can you not post something i wont agree on Smile

I don't give numbers or details out without asking permission. I find it rude when someone does it
(05-09-2019, 10:23 AM)The Expat Eagle Wrote: I didn't have my number the public phone book. Last estimates are that 51% are ex-directory and most of my colleagues were. Besides phone books no longer exist and BT or 118 charge for the service. Smile in mind I live in a country where every piece of information on me can be looked up it is only my phone number that I can insist is kept secret unless I get a court order to hide the rest. Smile

Yes, being unable to edit the posts on the BBS is a GDPR infringement but that is a separate issue. Smile

There are a lot of cases being brought to the courts about facial recognition records being kept and even banning councils and governments from keeping records of claims, etc. after the time limit. So if you went to the social for help 8 years ago and then go next week they should have no record of your previous visit.

Over here people have been sacked by the council for looking up details of cases they are not working on.

Yeah, the question is how do people find out but that is a different problem for a different day. Smile
Big Grin  that's a trivial detail.

Take your points though. Just seems like a bit of an unnecessary minefield to me.
(05-09-2019, 10:31 AM)Razorsedge Wrote: Expat, I keep agreeing with you, can you not post something i wont agree on Smile

I don't give numbers or details out without asking permission. I find it rude when someone does it

Sorry, I'll try to not be so agreeable in future. Smile
(05-09-2019, 10:38 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: Big Grin  that's a trivial detail.

Take your points though. Just seems like a bit of an unnecessary minefield to me.

Not if you'd rather some arse didn't get your number. ;-) I preferred for people not to know my number or address, especially after I became a union rep and branch secretary. One reason was to prevent calls from people wanting to ask questions, mostly trivial, but also to stop people calling early when I've been on late turn as a joke.

It's always the minority that spoils it... Smile
(05-09-2019, 10:31 AM)Razorsedge Wrote: Expat, I keep agreeing with you, can you not post something i wont agree on Smile

I'm phoning you at 3am Wink
(05-09-2019, 18:46 PM)The Expat Eagle Wrote: Not if you'd rather some arse didn't get your number. ;-) I preferred for people not to know my number or address, especially after I became a union rep and branch secretary. One reason was to prevent calls from people wanting to ask questions, mostly trivial, but also to stop people calling early when I've been on late turn as a joke.

Yeah I'd imagine you would get your fair share of calls.  Comes with the territory I guess.

I might retrain as a GDPR lawyer.  They'll probably be snowed under with work in the coming years.
(05-09-2019, 19:15 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: I'm phoning you at 3am Wink
I will be snoring Smile
(05-09-2019, 18:42 PM)The Expat Eagle Wrote: Sorry, I'll try to not be so agreeable in future. Smile
Smile
(05-09-2019, 18:46 PM)The Expat Eagle Wrote: Not if you'd rather some arse didn't get your number. ;-) I preferred for people not to know my number or address, especially after I became a union rep and branch secretary. One reason was to prevent calls from people wanting to ask questions, mostly trivial, but also to stop people calling early when I've been on late turn as a joke.

I had a separate dog for union stuff when I was a div sec.
(05-09-2019, 20:07 PM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: I had a separate dog for union stuff when I was a div sec.

You were paid too much. I'm talking about the 90s though company council had a separate line paid for.
When people used to wake me up early after lates they'd say "sorry, did I wake you?" and I'd reply "no, the phone woke me you are just the c*nt on the end of it!" Smile
(05-09-2019, 20:40 PM)The Expat Eagle Wrote: You were paid too much. I'm talking about the 90s though company council had a separate line paid for.
I'm talking 2012 onwards
(05-09-2019, 19:38 PM)Razorsedge Wrote: I will be snoring Smile
I'll leave you expats number on your voicemail then.

Which reminds me, on our house phone, apart from one of Mrs Elgins friends who is too tight to call mobiles, we never get anything other than nuisance calls to it.  The home phone is the most pointless bit of electrical equipment in our house.  How do these c*nts get our number?
(05-09-2019, 21:37 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: I'll leave you expats number on your voicemail then.

Which reminds me, on our house phone, apart from one of Mrs Elgins friends who is too tight to call mobiles, we never get anything other than nuisance calls to it.  The home phone is the most pointless bit of electrical equipment in our house.  How do these c*nts get our number?

There is a small box which says please tick if you are happy for us to give your number to   selected third parties blah blah blah.....you tick that, BT or any pioneer company will sell your number and bingo you will have people ringing
(06-09-2019, 06:37 AM)Razorsedge Wrote: There is a small box which says please tick if you are happy for us to give your number to   selected third parties blah blah blah.....you tick that, BT or any pioneer company will sell your number and bingo you will have people ringing
To be honest we mostly just let the house phone battery go flat Smile I'm with virgin, next time I phone them I'll get them to change the settings, cheers.
(05-09-2019, 21:37 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: I'll leave you expats number on your voicemail then.

BT and other companies sell numbers to telemarketing companies.

Over here I don't know anyone who has a home phone. Most broadband providers offer IP telephone but everyone has mobiles and we have unlimited calls and texts for £5 a month so there is no need.

When someone comes to the outside door of my building and rings my flat it goes through to my mobile so I can answer the door from anywhere in the world should I choose to. Smile