Electric bike hybrid thingys
Having commuted 20 miles each way to work by motorbike for the past 10 years I'm now moving to a depot 2.5 miles from home. So now the plan is to ditch the motorbike and get a bike. 

As Elgin will tell you I'm half the size of him (well he is a chubby c*nt) and I'm fit as fuck (spin classes and swim most days). The commute to work is mostly down hill but coming home is a steady incline for a couple of miles. After a laborious 10 hour shift thats too much like hard work so I've been advised to go hybrid.

Now unlike Elgs I don't buy cheap tat on ebay to live in my garage or back garden so am looking for advice on what kind of bike to go far. 

So far I've looked at  a carrera vengeance E mens electric mountain bike at Halfords which is £950. It gets good reviews but also a few dodgy ones. 

Any advice is appreciated
Not the advice you were after but it’s my first thought so:

Jogging is free, and much better for you. Will take you 15 mins at a slow pace.
Hes not that fit Joe Big Grin
(25-04-2019, 15:41 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Hes not that fit Joe Big Grin

Huh
I suppose your right.

Fuck jogging though after a 9 or 10 hour shift
(25-04-2019, 15:41 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Hes not that fit Joe Big Grin

Explains why he prefers a hybrid....might as well get a car...

I used to do middle distance running in the my youth....nowadays the only run I do is to the takeaway....

Geezer at work has a vitus (I think) and he swears by it..
`know nothing about hybrids but would happily recommend Genesis bikes Genesis One is great Genesis Zero even better. Give it a month of cycling and that hill won't feel like it's even there
(25-04-2019, 15:24 PM)Joe85 Wrote: Not the advice you were after but it’s my first thought so:

Jogging is free, and much better for you. Will take you 15 mins at a slow pace.

He’d get to work all sweaty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-Cube-Rea...ect=mobile

Here you go slap head. 99p
I’ve got an ebike.

Cube stereo pro or summat. Great bit of kit. Not cheap but awesome bike. Got for it Keltic. You fat bastard.
What are the point of these things? They have been popular over here for years but I've never got my hands on one to know if the electric part assists with peddling (making it easier to go along) or if it will act like an electric scooter and just power the bike for you in which case... What's the point?

There are already electric mopeds or those bloody scooters which can do 20 km/h and only cost a couple of hundred quid. Easy to fold up to go into the locker and they have lights built in. They are road legal in Sweden.
My Palace blog and podcast can be found at South London and Proud.
I brought a Carrera ebike. Cost me about a grand with all the accessories. Awesome bike. I love it although haven't riden it in the rain yet. Those hills don't even feel like they exist
(01-07-2019, 09:55 AM)Keltic Eagle Wrote: I brought a Carrera ebike. Cost me about a grand with all the accessories. Awesome bike. I love it although haven't riden it in the rain yet. Those hills don't even feel like they exist
A grand?? Hope you got a good lock or two thrown in. Does it charge itself?
(01-07-2019, 10:53 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: A grand?? Hope you got a good lock or two thrown in. Does it charge itself?
I don't buy second hand shit on Ebay. Only the best will do
(01-07-2019, 13:48 PM)Keltic Eagle Wrote: I don't buy second hand shit on Ebay. Only the best will do

Oh I say.  Far superior.  On yer bike Bill Gates.  Youve bought shit off ebay before to my certain knowledge Smile
(01-07-2019, 13:48 PM)Keltic Eagle Wrote: I don't buy second hand shit on Ebay. Only the best will do

Why would anyone buy 'shit' first hand or second hand or dump from anywhere......it makes no poosense Smile
(01-07-2019, 14:15 PM)Razorsedge Wrote: Why would anyone buy 'shit' first hand or second hand or dump from anywhere......it makes no poosense Smile
You haven't seen his garage  Huh

(01-07-2019, 14:03 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: Oh I say.  Far superior.  On yer bike Bill Gates.  Youve bought shit off ebay before to my certain knowledge Smile
2 second hand motorbikes well worth the money. Your knowledge is correct   Big Grin
(01-07-2019, 14:31 PM)Keltic Eagle Wrote: You haven't seen his garage  Huh

2 second hand motorbikes well worth the money. Your knowledge is correct   Big Grin
Big Grin

I know Smile I might get one on ebay then we can have a race.  Not to palace though.
I wouldn't buy a second hand bike. Mind you I can't ride motor bikes....
All this is well and good but I am none the wiser as to if the electric part assists the peddling or if it propels the bike without the need to pedal. Smile

You can all bicker later. Smile
My Palace blog and podcast can be found at South London and Proud.
(01-07-2019, 16:55 PM)Swedish Expat Eagle Wrote: All this is well and good but I am none the wiser as to if the electric part assists the peddling or if it propels the bike without the need to pedal. Smile

You can all bicker later. Smile
You need to be pedalling for the electric motor to 'assist'. As soon as you stop pedalling you hear the motor cut out. It works really well though as part of my route is a steep climb on a footpath through a place called bluebell woods. Half way up I switched the battery off and ground to a halt straight away as was in too high a gear. Also I was following a guy the other day on a similar bike but bot electric. Once I managed to get past him I disapeared into the distance. 

By law in the UK the electric part can only work up to 15mph. In Europe I believe it is 22mph.

https://youtu.be/ipERBeqkYVc
This may give you an idea or google carerra vengeance ebike. This is the one I have.