Earth
How many years has it got left to be habitable or will it survive us being on it?
I have started packing my bags, I am planning to immigrate to one of the moons near Jupiter.

Jokes apart interesting question, as I am not sure whom to believe but when you see, the only animals we have now is the one we produce to eat, and the wild animals are scattered round the world and are nearly extinct (apart from snakes)

Temperatures are raising but then the earth does spin on its axis and we are getting closer to the Sun and away and also the Sun is growing in size which may be the reason for raise in temperatures.

But doesn't help to be green I suppose
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-clima...SKCN1T50CF
Relevant.  Perhaps they will act now lthat osing money might be involved.
I'll be brown bread so I don't give a monkey's... I've done my bit by not having kids. Smile
(05-06-2019, 16:21 PM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-clima...SKCN1T50CF
Relevant.  Perhaps they will act now lthat osing money might be involved.

Still with the carbon message.  Sigh.

METHANE METHANE METHANE...….

Nasa -  Recent report.  Methane will generate 20x more warming than CO2 in the next 5 years and in every subsequent 5 year period. 

I've been saying that for decades.

Earth will still be here.  Its whether we are here to enjoy it!!! 

Until companies are forced to do something nothing will happen.  They could capture GHG's at source but wont.  They could extract from the atmosphere but wont. 

Look at the Emissions scandal.  Car manufacturers would rather spend money on cheating the tests than on producing cleaner cars.

And it was not just VW.  BMW did the same as well and you will probably find that they were all at it. 

The diesel situation already had an off the shelf fix.  Bosch already had a device that could reduce emissions to almost zero.  Why was it not used? COST!  Well that shot them all in the foot didn't it.

How about shipping?  Never mentioned.  Ships sail the oceans 24/7.  They run on heavy oil producing massive amounts of GHG's.  Again, there is a fix (scrubbers - no not that kind!) are they fitted.  Fuck no.  COST.

All this GHG stuff is smoke and mirrors.  Yes its happening but scientists continue to blame the industrial revolution and the use of oil. 

The scientists just love quoting 1800 as the start of the problem, the industrial revolution.  Temperatures have risen 2 degrees since then.  What they don't tell you is we were in a mini ice age.  The Thames froze over every year!!   

If you look at the graphs of the rise in GHG it matches perfectly the rise in human population.  All this shite can be traced to that and that alone.  We use more resource because there's more of us.  Simples!

In the year 1800 there were 1 Billion humans on the planet.

In the year 2020 we will pass 8 billion!!!!!  livestock, farming, deforestation etc. have all increased by the same amount.

A sobering stat to consider is that in the year 1800 there were 1 billion humans living on the planet.

In the last 12 years the population has INCREASED by 1 billion.

QED.
(05-06-2019, 20:35 PM)The Groover Wrote: Still with the carbon message.  Sigh.

METHANE METHANE METHANE...….

Nasa -  Recent report.  Methane will generate 20x more warming than CO2 in the next 5 years and in every subsequent 5 year period. 

I've been saying that for decades.

Earth will still be here.  Its whether we are here to enjoy it!!! 

Until companies are forced to do something nothing will happen.  They could capture GHG's at source but wont.  They could extract from the atmosphere but wont. 

Look at the Emissions scandal.  Car manufacturers would rather spend money on cheating the tests than on producing cleaner cars.

And it was not just VW.  BMW did the same as well and you will probably find that they were all at it. 

The diesel situation already had an off the shelf fix.  Bosch already had a device that could reduce emissions to almost zero.  Why was it not used? COST!  Well that shot them all in the foot didn't it.

How about shipping?  Never mentioned.  Ships sail the oceans 24/7.  They run on heavy oil producing massive amounts of GHG's.  Again, there is a fix (scrubbers - no not that kind!) are they fitted.  Fuck no.  COST.

All this GHG stuff is smoke and mirrors.  Yes its happening but scientists continue to blame the industrial revolution and the use of oil. 

The scientists just love quoting 1800 as the start of the problem, the industrial revolution.  Temperatures have risen 2 degrees since then.  What they don't tell you is we were in a mini ice age.  The Thames froze over every year!!   

If you look at the graphs of the rise in GHG it matches perfectly the rise in human population.  All this shite can be traced to that and that alone.  We use more resource because there's more of us.  Simples!

In the year 1800 there were 1 Billion humans on the planet.

In the year 2020 we will pass 8 billion!!!!!  livestock, farming, deforestation etc. have all increased by the same amount.

A sobering stat to consider is that in the year 1800 there were 1 billion humans living on the planet.

In the last 12 years the population has INCREASED by 1 billion.

QED.

I blame the cows.

How many greyhounds are on the planet?

Usually wars keep population growth down a bit don't they.
(06-06-2019, 13:56 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: I blame the cows.

I've been saying for years that there's too many people in the world and that we need a bloody good war.
My theory for global warming was abut people rather than anything else. If you have a gym and it's empty it is pretty chilly. Fill it with 20 people and it is okay. Give them computers, TVs and so on and it will be warm.

People, too many cars, electronic devices and so on are a problem. This computer, for example, has a CPU that is 50 degrees and the thing is spewing out air that is about 40 degrees so you sdon't need to be smart to work out it is warming up my room which is 28 degrees, 30 degrees outside.

Sure, we can do things to help like switch to LED lights. Why not? But I don't buy half the guff we're told.
(06-06-2019, 13:56 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: I blame the cows.

In 1800 20% of methane was made by...….Wait for it...….Termite flatulence!!!  Now cattle accounts for 20%.   The number of farm animals is directly proportional to the number of humans.  Improved healthcare and as has been said the lack of war/pestilence has failed to reduce increases in population.

My own opinion is that sea levels will rise by 2.5m when the Greenland ice melts (fresh water).  This has happened before.  Recent research of greenland ice core samples has found that ice melts have occurred during previous interglacial periods.  It was thought that samples may have been contaminated by drilling but a British invention has meant that samples are valid and historical data from ice samples has been seen to melt into previous layers as it is now.  This proves that the current situation has occurred during previous IGP's.
(06-06-2019, 17:55 PM)The Groover Wrote: In 1800 20% of methane was made by...….Wait for it...….Termite flatulence!!!  Now cattle accounts for 20%.   The number of farm animals is directly proportional to the number of humans.  Improved healthcare and as has been said the lack of war/pestilence has failed to reduce increases in population.

My own opinion is that sea levels will rise by 2.5m when the Greenland ice melts (fresh water).  This has happened before.  Recent research of greenland ice core samples has found that ice melts have occurred during previous interglacial periods.  It was thought that samples may have been contaminated by drilling but a British invention has meant that samples are valid and historical data from ice samples has been seen to melt into previous layers as it is now.  This proves that the current situation has occurred during previous IGP's.

I bow to your knowledge on the subject Smile  Did someone have to sniff the termites to prove that?

Landfill sites must produce a bit too.  They stink when you go past them.

Obviously there's no way to trap the methane as it leaves the cow, short of giving them cow nappies or something.

What happens to it all when it leaves earth atmosphere, or can't it escape?  Is there no way to puncture it with something like more aerosols or something?  When I start to try and think what is beyond the earth it makes my head hurt.
(06-06-2019, 20:41 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: I bow to your knowledge on the subject Smile  Did someone have to sniff the termites to prove that?

Landfill sites must produce a bit too.  They stink when you go past them.

Obviously there's no way to trap the methane as it leaves the cow, short of giving them cow nappies or something.

What happens to it all when it leaves earth atmosphere, or can't it escape?  Is there no way to puncture it with something like more aerosols or something?  When I start to try and think what is beyond the earth it makes my head hurt.

Happens to me too when I think, me head hurts Smile