Danny Baker
(09-05-2019, 17:14 PM)Blind_Eagle Wrote: What it says about you is you'd rather spend the time denying there is anything offensive about the term 'half caste', based on your own personal experiences, rather than take the opportunity to do a bit of research about the term and see it upsets people.

Each to their own, I can't believe i'm having to defend something so basic on here.

Well personal experience for me is a far more valuable tool for learning these things than an ever changing vocabulary based on what white virtue signallers deem permissable I'm afraid .  Perhaps as an authority on these things,  you should write that dictionary  eh ? As I said the term half caste being offensive is news to me, it probably is to millions of others too .
James O'Brien gave him an easy ride earlier. Had it been anti Semitic he'd have coated Baker.
It's the double standards I don't like.
https://mobile.twitter.com/prodnose/stat...5581309952

Been doing much apologising.  Personally i believe him but I get that plenty won't.
(10-05-2019, 15:04 PM)irtually elgin eagle Wrote: https://mobile.twitter.com/prodnose/stat...5581309952

Been doing much apologising.  Personally i believe him but I get that plenty won't.
He is just embarrassing himself now.

I would not bend a knee to the outrage Gestapo.

He posted a picture in bad taste and lost his job. That is more than punishment enough.

The BBC offend many people every day. Will we all be receiving an apology or just another bill for the license?
I think he's sincere in his apologies. You can watch the reactionaries try to make a martyr of him for their own cause but he's fundamentally a socially aware guy who knows how the establishment operates to screw most of us and maintain the status quo.
(09-05-2019, 17:46 PM)roasthimvinnie Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 17:14 PM)Blind_Eagle Wrote: What it says about you is you'd rather spend the time denying there is anything offensive about the term 'half caste', based on your own personal experiences, rather than take the opportunity to do a bit of research about the term and see it upsets people.

Each to their own, I can't believe i'm having to defend something so basic on here.

Well personal experience for me is a far more valuable tool for learning these things than an ever changing vocabulary based on what white virtue signallers deem permissable I'm afraid .  Perhaps as an authority on these things,  you should write that dictionary  eh ? As I said the term half caste being offensive is news to me, it probably is to millions of others too .

That term has been offensive since the late 1980s. In my union courses in the early 90s we were taught that. The correct term is mixed race and using the other term is illegal today and would see someone prosecuted.

But then my brother, who is 61 still thinks it is acceptable to call black people 'coloured' because he was taught that in the 70s, which was the correct PC term back then.

My problem with this situation is that you can use something 100 times and it is okay but then when used on the wrong person it is classed as racist by people.

The case in point is the monkey picture, which Baker has used before lots of times to poke fun at toffs and the royals who he has called monkeys in suits.

Then, one day through whatever reason he does the same thing and there happens to be a person of colour involved and everyone of a certain persuasion says it has to be racist. Why so? Just because people think it is? Don't they have the warped mind?

So in our every day life we have to think about what we say, not because of what we mean but because of what someone else will think we mean.

I've had it myself with the term 'call a spade a spade' which people wrongly assumed was racist.

Back in 1988 I worked at a place with 2 Arsenal fans. One of them had Korean parents and the other one kept calling him a 'gooner'. After a couple of months the guy with Korean parents was annoyed and asked me how he should tackle the racist abuse he was suffering from the other guy. I was gobsmacked as I hadn't heard anything and asked what had been said.

"He keeps calling me a gooner. You heard it and you are as bad as you smile whenever he says it!"

I said "Stuart, mate, gooner is what Arsenal fans are. He's saying it to be friendly with you against me! You are a gooner, you both are!"

He'd been harbouring these thoughts for months, pissed off and angry at racist abuse. He was a life long Arsenal fan and having been a season ticket holder for 6 years he claimed to have never heard that term.

My point is people want to be offended and it isn't their fault, they blame the person who doesn't have that intention.

Maybe Baker is lying but this is a funny to come out the closet as a racist and he is intelligent enough to do it in a more subtle way.

My Palace blog and podcast can be found at South London and Proud.
(10-05-2019, 21:18 PM)The Expat Eagle Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 17:46 PM)roasthimvinnie Wrote: Well personal experience for me is a far more valuable tool for learning these things than an ever changing vocabulary based on what white virtue signallers deem permissable I'm afraid .  Perhaps as an authority on these things,  you should write that dictionary  eh ? As I said the term half caste being offensive is news to me, it probably is to millions of others too .

That term has been offensive since the late 1980s. In my union courses in the early 90s we were taught that. The correct term is mixed race and using the other term is illegal today and would see someone prosecuted.

But then my brother, who is 61 still thinks it is acceptable to call black people 'coloured' because he was taught that in the 70s, which was the correct PC term back then.

My problem with this situation is that you can use something 100 times and it is okay but then when used on the wrong person it is classed as racist by people.

The case in point is the monkey picture, which Baker has used before lots of times to poke fun at toffs and the royals who he has called monkeys in suits.

Then, one day through whatever reason he does the same thing and there happens to be a person of colour involved and everyone of a certain persuasion says it has to be racist. Why so? Just because people think it is? Don't they have the warped mind?

So in our every day life we have to think about what we say, not because of what we mean but because of what someone else will think we mean.

I've had it myself with the term 'call a spade a spade' which people wrongly assumed was racist.

Back in 1988 I worked at a place with 2 Arsenal fans. One of them had Korean parents and the other one kept calling him a 'gooner'. After a couple of months the guy with Korean parents was annoyed and asked me how he should tackle the racist abuse he was suffering from the other guy. I was gobsmacked as I hadn't heard anything and asked what had been said.

"He keeps calling me a gooner. You heard it and you are as bad as you smile whenever he says it!"

I said "Stuart, mate, gooner is what Arsenal fans are. He's saying it to be friendly with you against me! You are a gooner, you both are!"

He'd been harbouring these thoughts for months, pissed off and angry at racist abuse. He was a life long Arsenal fan and having been a season ticket holder for 6 years he claimed to have never heard that term.

My point is people want to be offended and it isn't their fault, they blame the person who doesn't have that intention.

Maybe Baker is lying but this is a funny to come out the closet as a racist and he is intelligent enough to do it in a more subtle way.

Your mum...
Talk sport will take him.  Fuck the BBC.  Think Baker said as much himself at first but might have deleted it since.
(10-05-2019, 23:02 PM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote:
(10-05-2019, 21:18 PM)The Expat Eagle Wrote: That term has been offensive since the late 1980s. In my union courses in the early 90s we were taught that. The correct term is mixed race and using the other term is illegal today and would see someone prosecuted.

Your mum...

Has been dead for 41 years, thanks for reminding me.

Now Baker is being investigated by the police for the Tweet... Yet Franke Boyle has a series on the BBC. Don't get me wrong, I love Frankie but the two things don't make sense.
I liked the 'curb your enthusiasm' theme music he posted.  It's exactly the sort of shit that would happen to Larry David.
(10-05-2019, 21:18 PM)The Expat Eagle Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 17:46 PM)roasthimvinnie Wrote: Well personal experience for me is a far more valuable tool for learning these things than an ever changing vocabulary based on what white virtue signallers deem permissable I'm afraid .  Perhaps as an authority on these things,  you should write that dictionary  eh ? As I said the term half caste being offensive is news to me, it probably is to millions of others too .

Problem with the fry quote is that left unchecked, you get UKIP candidates being deliberately racist/homophobic as part of  supposed act. Anything's game, including rape gags. 
Some people don't see the rhetoric as 'performance' and take it at face value.

Nuance is dead.
(11-05-2019, 11:25 AM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote:
(10-05-2019, 21:18 PM)The Expat Eagle Wrote: That term has been offensive since the late 1980s. In my union courses in the early 90s we were taught that. The correct term is mixed race and using the other term is illegal today and would see someone prosecuted.

Problem with the fry quote is that left unchecked, you get UKIP candidates being deliberately racist/homophobic as part of  supposed act. Anything's game, including rape gags. 

Nuance is dead.

That's why sensationalism sucks.  Nothing can be debated on its own merits anymore.  Baker was clearly making an 'in joke' and the internet decided he was being racist instead.  Once it's out there and you've pressed send, you can't take it back.  Instead of increasing our freedom of speech, it's restricting it by making anyone scared to say anything in case it offends someone.  It's mental.  Anyone could be offended by anything if they chose to.
(11-05-2019, 11:25 AM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote:

Nuance is dead.

Nuance may be dead but context is ignored. How many times have we had conversations with people on a thread and one post is taken out of context of the whole conversation because the person hasn't bothered to read the whole context?

The subject of a joke isn't always the object of a joke. As with everything, it's how it's done that is important. People just get outraged about everything. A joke about rape. Was it about rape or was rape used an a metaphor? A joke about the disabled. Same same.

Abusive jokes inciting hated or making a joke about a specific issue isn't okay but then Frankie Boyle is very left wing and practically a communist, he makes fun out of Katy Price's black disabled son (and a rape joke to boot) and people were outraged. However I could see her son wasn't the object of the joke, her mothering skills were the object.

Some people say it's the uneducated who make such jokes but I'd say it is the uneducated who get offended. Danny Baker and Frankie Boyle, both lefties to different degrees, are well educated who have been too clever for their own good.
(12-05-2019, 00:05 AM)The Expat Eagle Wrote:
(11-05-2019, 11:25 AM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: Problem with the fry quote is that left unchecked, you get UKIP candidates being deliberately racist/homophobic as part of  supposed act. Anything's game, including rape gags. 

Nuance is dead.

Nuance may be dead but context is ignored. How many times have we had conversations with people on a thread and one post is taken out of context of the whole conversation because the person hasn't bothered to read the whole context?

The subject of a joke isn't always the object of a joke. As with everything, it's how it's done that is important. People just get outraged about everything. A joke about rape. Was it about rape or was rape used an a metaphor? A joke about the disabled. Same same.

Abusive jokes inciting hated or making a joke about a specific issue isn't okay but then Frankie Boyle is very left wing and practically a communist, he makes fun out of Katy Price's black disabled son (and a rape joke to boot) and people were outraged. However I could see her son wasn't the object of the joke, her mothering skills were the object.

Some people say it's the uneducated who make such jokes but I'd say it is the uneducated who get offended. Danny Baker and Frankie Boyle, both lefties to different degrees, are well educated who have been too clever for their own good.

As my dear old Dad would have said, 'Bakers dropped a right bollock there son'
No Lineker and Baker pod this week...
I never listened to Linekar's podcast, has he ever said anything that is worth listening
(17-05-2019, 21:04 PM)Razorsedge Wrote: I never listened to Linekar's podcast, has he ever said anything that is worth listening

A lot of anecdotes about Gazza.  I listened to one today, it wasn't bad to be fair.
(17-05-2019, 21:10 PM)elgin eagle Wrote:
(17-05-2019, 21:04 PM)Razorsedge Wrote: I never listened to Linekar's podcast, has he ever said anything that is worth listening

A lot of anecdotes about Gazza.  I listened to one today, it wasn't bad to be fair.

Oh ok, I may listen to it then.
(17-05-2019, 21:21 PM)Razorsedge Wrote:
(17-05-2019, 21:10 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: A lot of anecdotes about Gazza.  I listened to one today, it wasn't bad to be fair.

Oh ok, I may listen to it then.

The world of podcasts is new to me, but I downloaded some of the recommendations from the podcasts thread.  Made a long flight much more bearable, I have to say.  Usually I just sit there or play candy crush like a long haired teenager.