Captain
Luka is out with a ban now according to my fantasy league info.
Who should wear the armband against the jellied eel munching Essex cockneys?
I'd say Cahill would be a good shout.
Don't put Benteke on pens though.
(30-09-2019, 12:41 PM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: Luka is out with a ban now according to my fantasy league info.
Who should wear the armband against the jellied eel munching Essex cockneys?
I'd say Cahill would be a good shout.
Don't put Benteke on pens though.

Yep Cahill all day long. 

And as someone that lives in Essex i’m offended by your Essex comment. You missed out white stilettos.  Big Grin
All a captain does is call the coin toss, it's not a relevant position these days.
You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.
The Expat Eagle Wrote:All a captain does is call the coin toss, it's not a relevant position these days.
Go back to the politics thread FFS Big Grin

Ludicrous comment Expat.
(30-09-2019, 13:51 PM)The Groover Wrote: Yep Cahill all day long. 

And as someone that lives in Essex i’m offended by your Essex comment. You missed out white stilettos.  Big Grin
And an XR3i Smile
(02-10-2019, 00:46 AM)Bones14 Wrote: Go back to the politics thread FFS Big Grin

Ludicrous comment Expat.

It's what all the major pundits say as well. Everyone on the pitch should be a leader and the role of captain is arbitrary. Do you think Cahill will be more of a leader if he has an armband?

I'll fuck off back to the politics thread now! Wink
The Expat Eagle Wrote:It's what all the major pundits say as well. Everyone on the pitch should be a leader and the role of captain is arbitrary. Do you think Cahill will be more of a leader if he has an armband?

I'll fuck off back to the politics thread now! Wink
And we've heard what some of those dimwits have said before.

The Captain is the conduit between the Managers game plan and the players on the pitch.
If you think any team has 11 guys on the turf directing traffic, organising the defence, midfield and forward play then you're mad. The majority of players can only focus on themelves and not sacrifice some of their game and put it into others. They'll never be 11 champions players in one team, and they'll never be 11 captains in one team. Such a utopian way to look at things saying that everyone should be a leader.
How many dumb/selfish blokes do you work with? Football is no different.
(02-10-2019, 22:19 PM)Bones14 Wrote: And we've heard what some of those dimwits have said before.

The Captain is the conduit between the Managers game plan and the players on the pitch.
If you think any team has 11 guys on the turf directing traffic, organising the defence, midfield and forward play then you're mad. The majority of players can only focus on themelves and not sacrifice some of their game and put it into others. They'll never be 11 champions players in one team, and they'll never be 11 captains in one team. Such a utopian way to look at things saying that everyone should be a leader.

I would agree with you had there not been some wishy washy people who have been captains of good teams in the past. I doubt most modern captains do what you describe and it is down to the leaders.

In the past, for example, when we had Dann or Punch as captain do you think they were fulfilling the role you described or was it players like Speroni or Delaney?

I am more old school in this in that a captain should matter but I don't think it does today but if it did and a player would need to be able to communicate and see the game then a goalkeeper or striker would never be captain. So Lineker, Kane, Shilton would all have been poor choices.
(02-10-2019, 22:19 PM)Bones14 Wrote: And we've heard what some of those dimwits have said before.

Dougie wanted a team of leaders. Got a few in too.
The Expat Eagle Wrote:I would agree with you had there not been some wishy washy people who have been captains of good teams in the past. I doubt most modern captains do what you describe and it is down to the leaders.

In the past, for example, when we had Dann or Punch as captain do you think they were fulfilling the role you described or was it players like Speroni or Delaney?

I am more old school in this in that a captain should matter but I don't think it does today but if it did and a player would need to be able to communicate and see the game then a goalkeeper or striker would never be captain. So Lineker, Kane, Shilton would all have been poor choices.
They were shit Captains, and were only given the job because Speroni and Delaney weren't first choice players anymore. And if they were our best choices it tells you plenty of the quality of leadership at the time.

Every team has a leadership group now, and they play a massive part in team structure and performance, but ultimately if you have a great Captain, he will oversee all of the areas including the leadership group.
There's many types of Captains as well. Follow me types, lead by example types, verbal types, tactically astute types and plenty of others. It's rare for a Captain to have all the qualities now, hence the reason for the leadership groups.

I was Captain at my club for 7 years and I set the standard at training, I reinforced the coaches gameplan to my teammates both at training and on gameday. I verbally directed traffic out on the ground and put shedloads of time into all the players to make sure they followed what was required for us to be successful. I gave up some of my ability as a player to make sure we had the full compliment of players doing their job. 1 player rarely wins a game off his own boot, so the value of getting everyone to play their role in the team is vital. A good Captain in a good team can be hidden. A great Captain in a good team can turn it into a great team.
Yuri Gagarin Wrote:Dougie wanted a team of leaders. Got a few in too.
Absolutely. It's important. I'll never doubt that as a team with quality leaders is vital. Who leads the leadership group though? The Captain.