Brighton Away, Monday 8pm
What an incredible game.  That's only going to result in similar tactics though.  That's not a good thing.  Amazingly vital points though.
(22-02-2021, 22:03 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: What an incredible game.  That's only going to result in similar tactics though.  That's not a good thing.  Amazingly vital points though.
That's footballs version of Rope a Dope!
(22-02-2021, 22:01 PM)The Groover Wrote: I actually think the squad is quite good.  Its the way they are told to play that's the problem.  Constantly hoofing it back to them with no outlet is always going to result in pressure.

We have a few players that are now dead wood but is that because of the setup?

Players that were the spine of the team now seem spineless. 

Good goal by big ben though.

Ayew given MotM by sky so he's dropped next game then!!!!
I agree.  It's the set up that's the problem and the erratic use of the squad. I laughed when Tekkers scores. It was an absolute steal. Brighton must be totally gutted....Good.
(22-02-2021, 22:24 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: I agree.  It's the set up that's the problem and the erratic use of the squad. I laughed when Tekkers scores. It was an absolute steal. Brighton must be totally gutted....Good.
Happiest moment since we beat the weed in the play-offs.  
I actually think it hurt them more that we played so shite and still beat them. ( class told in the end ) , Reckon they will suffer a confidence crisis now and get relegated ..
Ive seen some very poor Palace performances in my 54 years watching them, but tonight ranks up with the 9-0 from Livescum, and the 7 a few weeks ago 

How we won with 2-1 with a DREADFULL performance, but have to say defensively pretty good, is incredible

Also How BshitN didnt batter us 5-0, i cant believe, and even in the earlier game in the season they should have, plus we got a dodgy penalty (if i remember correctly)  

Football defies any logic
(22-02-2021, 22:01 PM)The Groover Wrote: I actually think the squad is quite good.  Its the way they are told to play that's the problem.  Constantly hoofing it back to them with no outlet is always going to result in pressure.

We have a few players that are now dead wood but is that because of the setup?

Players that were the spine of the team now seem spineless. 

Good goal by big ben though.

Ayew given MotM by sky so he's dropped next game then!!!!

That's the very expensive question isn't it Smile Clearly when you look at how Villa, and to a lesser extent, Brighton, have been able to improve just by signing a few key players, it proves that if you regard the players of a team as part of an engine, you can build a successful side.  I've said for years that Benteke needs service from wingers to be effective.  We signed zero wingers.  Andros finally puts an out swinging cross in from his natural left hand side in the last minute of the game, and Benteke scores.  Not rocket science is it, especially if you look at his Aston Villa goals reels.  Imagine if we had 2 full backs and 2 wingers bombing in crosses to him all game, and Eze and Wilf feeding off the knock ons and second balls.  Surely it wouldn't cost that much compared to a total rebuild and would give so many more attacking options.
(22-02-2021, 22:58 PM)Racehorse-80s Wrote: Happiest moment since we beat the weed in the play-offs.  
I actually think it hurt them more that we played so shite and still beat them. ( class told in the end ) , Reckon they will suffer a confidence crisis now and get relegated ..

It could happen but if they can keep creating at that rate sadly they will be absolutely fine.  We should be OK this season now, but that was a freak result.  Guaitas treble save and the millions of chances they missed could easily have seen us moaning about a 4-2 defeat or something.  You can't attack with one man in the box.  At times Brighton had 7 in ours, and were still fit enough to get back into shape when we escaped.

A real smash n grab but I don't think many are fooled.  This side needs a lot of work or we will be Sheff Utd next season I think.
(22-02-2021, 23:36 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: It could happen but if they can keep creating at that rate sadly they will be absolutely fine.  We should be OK this season now, but that was a freak result.  Guaitas treble save and the millions of chances they missed could easily have seen us moaning about a 4-2 defeat or something.  You can't attack with one man in the box.  At times Brighton had 7 in ours, and were still fit enough to get back into shape when we escaped.

A real smash n grab but I don't think many are fooled.  This side needs a lot of work or we will be Sheff Utd next season I think.
It's difficult to work out whether they were so suoerior because they are just better than us or its because of the wayvwecset up and the make up of the team. Eze was anonymous yesterday. Mateta hardly saw the ball apart from a sublime moment. Luka flatters to deceive. I don't understand some of the moaning about CK (in past) he was quite something yesterday and he's not in his best position. Cahil was brilliant. I dont understand not pushing CK into midfield and bringing in Kelly. 
Having said that....there is no excuse for some of the sloppiness in passing from everyone. I hope andros stays on the left. Superb cross. As average as he's been this season he's got four massjve proper assists not like the Mcarthy assist for Eze goal v Sheff United Big Grin
(22-02-2021, 21:59 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: It is hilarious. We were shit for 93cminnutesxapart from the Mateta goal. Brighton have battered us for over 3 hours this season....and got one point.

'Tis a funny old game  Big Grin
BBC sports have Benteke as MOM, how i didnt split my sides laughing, i dont know

He touched the ball three times, once in midfield, once blazing over the bar, and one wicked goal
Nearly as good as Townsends against Man city a couple of years ago
(23-02-2021, 09:29 AM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: It's difficult to work out whether they were so suoerior because they are just better than us or its because of the wayvwecset up and the make up of the team. Eze was anonymous yesterday. Mateta hardly saw the ball apart from a sublime moment. Luka flatters to deceive. I don't understand some of the moaning about CK (in past) he was quite something yesterday and he's not in his best position. Cahil was brilliant. I dont understand not pushing CK into midfield and bringing in Kelly. 
Having said that....there is no excuse for some of the sloppiness in passing from everyone. I hope andros stays on the left. Superb cross. As average as he's been this season he's got four massjve proper assists not like the Mcarthy assist for Eze goal v Sheff United Big Grin

My negative view.  We only improved the squad with Eze this season.  Mateta is on loan.  A significant number have gone backwards and are past it.  A lot are out of contract. This is a direct result of the board not investing adequately in youth for a long time.

Having said that, its a brilliant way to wake up and realise it wasn't a dream Big Grin I celebrated with a large whiskey last night.  To somehow win without Wilf, there, and in that ridiculous manner, was brilliant.