Brexit Deal- How Would You Negotiate It
This is a hypothetical scenario, imagine yourself to be Mr/Mrs Civil Servant and you have the Brexit secretary asking you to start negotiating a deal for us to get out of EU and also a deal going forward under WTO rules. 

Where would you start first and what would you think needs protecting and what are the subjects that we won't compromise

I will start with things i won't compromise

GFA
British Citizens living in EU to have status to continue to live and work after Brexit
EU citizens who would like to continue to live and work in UK after Brexit to be offered stay and right to remain
Workers rights
Human rights

Etc etc

Your thoughts please
1) Keep our own armed forces. No requirement to work for the Germans.
2) No EU input into our laws. No UK input into those in the EU.
3) to 8) What you said.

Not sure if that would count as a soft or hard brexit.  Soft I guess.
I think we need to put these Euromythys to bed, not sure which EU law we follow, all the law is passed in Parliament by our esteemed colleagues in Westminster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euromyth
(29-10-2019, 09:30 AM)elgin eagle Wrote: 1) Keep our own armed forces. No requirement to work for the Germans.
2) No EU input into our laws. No UK input into those in the EU.
3) to 8) What you said.

Not sure if that would count as a soft or hard brexit.  Soft I guess.

Soft to Hard Brexit it is Smile
(29-10-2019, 10:21 AM)Razorsedge Wrote: I think we need to put these Euromythys to bed, not sure which EU law we follow, all the law is passed in Parliament by our esteemed colleagues in Westminster

If we are not tied into EU laws then the only issue up for negotiation is trade and freedom of movement. But that clearly isnt what its all about. Its about controlling how we deal with rest of world and how we fund and assist industry in UK. It was said in QT last week by Norman Lamont that EU prevent investment in North East for example...it was  not challenged by any of the opposition panelists.
(29-10-2019, 10:21 AM)Razorsedge Wrote: I think we need to put these Euromythys to bed, not sure which EU law we follow, all the law is passed in Parliament by our esteemed colleagues in Westminster

Never did like Annie Lennox much
Don't take our country back, take it forwards.
(30-10-2019, 11:27 AM)Yuri Gagarin Wrote: Never did like Annie Lennox much

I don't think I am fan of hers either
(29-10-2019, 08:17 AM)Razorsedge Wrote: This is a hypothetical scenario, imagine yourself to be Mr/Mrs Civil Servant and you have the Brexit secretary asking you to start negotiating a deal for us to get out of EU and also a deal going forward under WTO rules. 

Where would you start first and what would you think needs protecting and what are the subjects that we won't compromise

I will start with things i won't compromise

GFA
British Citizens living in EU to have status to continue to live and work after Brexit
EU citizens who would like to continue to live and work in UK after Brexit to be offered stay and right to remain
Workers rights
Human rights

Etc etc

Your thoughts please

First off we don't need to negotiate a deal under WTO rules, we simply leave without a deal to trade under WTO rules.

Next worker's rights and human rights we don't negotiate because we can not only make our own but we already have a higher standard than the minimum standard of the EU.

Bilateral rights for citizens to remain in their current country of residence is already agreed.

For me Gibraltar and NI are non-negotiable, fishing rights, freedom of movement must end as must open immigration. In short a total withdrawal and then negotiate a trade agreement which won't take long as we are already aligned.
"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players.
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare's As You Like it (Act 2, Scene 7)

This is simply not true as we voted either last year or earlier this ear to encompass all EU laws into UK law en mass. Furthermore under current laws the EU law supersedes any law which a member nation has.

Just to throw a couple of things out there which have been forced upon us is the requirement to sell goods in metric instead of imperial measurements. The well known freedom of movement law is a fundamental law of EU membership. The fact the EU prevented us from changing our social welfare laws in order to penalise other members (such as other nationals claiming child allowance for children living in their home nations) is a scandal.

Any everyone knows Wikipedia is a handy guide but citing it as fact is unwise when anyone can edit pages there. For example, I am an editor there as I am for Google so if you want I'll edit the page to say pixies ride pink elephants which should then be accepted as fact.

You'll miss these insightful contributions. Smile
"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players.
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts."

- William Shakespeare's As You Like it (Act 2, Scene 7)
(30-10-2019, 16:30 PM)The Expat Eagle Wrote: This is simply not true as we voted either last year or earlier this ear to encompass all EU laws into UK law en mass. Furthermore under current laws the EU law supersedes any law which a member nation has.

Just to throw a couple of things out there which have been forced upon us is the requirement to sell goods in metric instead of imperial measurements. The well known freedom of movement law is a fundamental law of EU membership. The fact the EU prevented us from changing our social welfare laws in order to penalise other members (such as other nationals claiming child allowance for children living in their home nations) is a scandal.

Any everyone knows Wikipedia is a handy guide but citing it as fact is unwise when anyone can edit pages there. For example, I am an editor there as I am for Google so if you want I'll edit the page to say pixies ride pink elephants which should then be accepted as fact.

For the layman, explain what you think happens after the stroke of midnight if we go WTO.
Don't take our country back, take it forwards.
(30-10-2019, 16:30 PM)The Expat Eagle Wrote: This is simply not true as we voted either last year or earlier this ear to encompass all EU laws into UK law en mass. Furthermore under current laws the EU law supersedes any law which a member nation has.

Yes we wil Sad 

I did read about the child allowance but forgot all about it
(30-10-2019, 16:22 PM)The Expat Eagle Wrote: First off we don't need to negotiate a deal under WTO rules, we simply leave without a deal to trade under WTO rules.

Next worker's rights and human rights we don't negotiate because we can not only make our own but we already have a higher standard than the minimum standard of the EU.

Bilateral rights for citizens to remain in their current country of residence is already agreed.

For me Gibraltar and NI are non-negotiable, fishing rights, freedom of movement must end as must open immigration. In short a total withdrawal and then negotiate a trade agreement which won't take long as we are already aligned.

I been banging about this, back in 2016 the day after referendum, we should have walked....I know I voted remain but I would have done this

Also tried to get Henry Eighth powers to rewrite laws without them going through parliament, so the encompassing part is only half the story. 
Of course the EU is far from perfect, but on balance I think it unwise to either try and extricate ourselves from 45+ years of membership overnight or even do the opposite and revoke A50 (although a preferred option, we'd have s few months of moaning, but then we could focus on sorting the shit out in this country rather than years of negotiating trade deals)
Whatever way, Cameron has truly fucked up our country. Ten)eleven years ago, hardly anyone gave a fuck about the EU, main gripes were single parents and that Gordon Brown has a glass eye. I think the EU came about 7th or 8th in importance in some survey or other.
(30-10-2019, 17:34 PM)Razorsedge Wrote: Yes we wil Sad 

I did read about the child allowance but forgot all about it
Wasnt just child allowance it also included Wirking Tax Credits.
(30-10-2019, 18:40 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: Wasnt just child allowance it also included Wirking Tax Credits.

Working tax credit did help me when I went back to uni and worked part time. Is it all gone now?