Apparently You Can't Call A Spade A Spade.
This is a common problem in that one person uses language one way and another person uses it in a different way resulting in people coming to misunderstandings. In normal life it is fairly minor and inconvenient but in the current climate it can be quite serious.

A couple of days a go I used a phrase I have used all my life and heard from older people when I was young which is the phrase 'call a spade a spade'. I have never known that phrase to be based in race though I am aware that the term 'spade' was used as a racial slur some people however not in that phrase.

When I used the phrase the other day I was asked to not use it because I was being racist. I denied it had anything to do with that and even pulled up the origins of the phrase to prove it. The phrase dates back to 1542 in English and the first recording of spade being used in a racial slur is 1928 in America.

My point is at what point can someone demand you not say certain things? If the speaker means something innocently but the listener takes offence or interprets it in a different way can they demand you not say something?

Apparently it can because I have been advised by management to not use the phrase anymore. The whole world has gone mad!

Some will say it isn't a problem to be thoughtful of other people but if that's the case we'll constantly have to think about what we say based on what other people are thinking. If there is a gay American in the room you can't say fag meaning cigarette. Can they demand people not say fag?

BLM is creating division in society. I am 100% racial and sexual equality but I am against BLM because it isn't about equality.
It's funny, I got told off for asking 'if the chinky was open' just the other day.  I believe I don't have a racist bone in my body, but apparently I must have.  I also got told off for not using the one way system at work properly.  When I asked how often the handle of the door I wasn't allowed to use had been cleaned in the last 3 months (zero) I got a dirty look.  Must have been a bad day.

PS can you enable your PM's, I want to ask you something hypothetically Wink

I don't know if calling a spade a spade has racist undertones or not.  I suppose when you think of it, it's not a great saying if you no longer think of a gardening took anymore.
Calling a spade a spade has origins in a Greek play and in translating the play the original Greek was calling a fig a fig but the word spade replaced it in English. Not surprisingly it has nothing to do with race but of course it has been seized upon by the PC c*nts. Probably because black people were called spades by some factions probably because of playing cards. Could just as easily been called clubs. That would have been amusing. Going clubbing would take on a new meaning. Football club would be outlawed.
The calling a spade a spade is a term which definitive and the innocent use of it is succinct. Its just an example of the English language being decimated for no real reason.
(24-06-2020, 21:52 PM)elgin eagle Wrote: It's funny, I got told off for asking 'if the chinky was open' just the other day.  I believe I don't have a racist bone in my body, but apparently I must have.  I also got told off for not using the one way system at work properly.  When I asked how often the handle of the door I wasn't allowed to use had been cleaned in the last 3 months (zero) I got a dirty look.  Must have been a bad day.

PS can you enable your PM's, I want to ask you something hypothetically Wink

I don't know if calling a spade a spade has racist undertones or not.  I suppose when you think of it, it's not a great saying if you no longer think of a gardening took anymore.

The problem is people who think that way hear the word spade and think it must be racist whereas it isn't. Not in the context of the phrase because the phrase dates back to the ancient Greeks and has versions in all languages though, of course, it isn't spade in those languages.

In French it is to call a cat a cat.
(24-06-2020, 23:21 PM)Lombardo\s Hair Wrote: Calling a spade a spade has origins in a Greek play and in translating the play the original Greek was calling a fig a fig but the word spade replaced it in English. Not surprisingly it has nothing to do with race but of course it has been seized upon by the PC c*nts.  Probably because black people were called spades by some factions probably because of playing cards. Could just as easily been called clubs. That would have been amusing. Going clubbing would take on a new meaning.  Football club would be outlawed.
The calling a spade a spade is a term which definitive and the innocent use of it is succinct. Its just an example of the English language being decimated for no real reason.

Exactly. When I first started my working life old people still said they felt queer if they felt unwell but the PC brigade of the late 80s were all over them. Maybe this is why older people suffer with depression? They are so nervous about what to say and it isn't as if we think certain groups are laid back and easy going about things, they just jump on people. So people are scared or nervous to talk about things.

Also back then black people were called coloured. That was the correct term back then but it changed in the 1990s to black. The older elements of my family still say coloured and no matter how many times I tell them that isn't correct these days they just cite how it was bashed into them to say coloured in the 70s and 80s.

More amusing is i the early 00s when they tried to get in a more correct term for gay people. They were supposed to be referred to as "people with an orientation towards the same sex". It is interesting to note that the trans community and the gay community are not the big happy community we are being led to believe. They are actually at war with each other over a number of things.
(25-06-2020, 09:24 AM)ceitinn Wrote: The problem is people who think that way hear the word spade and think it must be racist whereas it isn't. Not in the context of the phrase because the phrase dates back to the ancient Greeks and has versions in all languages though, of course, it isn't spade in those languages.

In French it is to call a cat a cat.
I know exactly what you are saying.  I've only ever thought of a gardening spade whenever I've heard that saying.  It might put me off using it now, which I guess is your point.
They would have had a field day with my mum.   She used to go into the wool shop and ask for 'N***** brown!!!! I told her repeatedly that you can't say that now but every time I took her.

On one occasion I took her and she asked for 'that brown' I like and she looked at me, the women behind the counter said oh you mean N***** Brown.   I almost crapped my pants!

A spade is a spade is only racist if the person who hears it thinks it is.   And they are wrong.  It also depends on how much of a snowflake you are.  Wizz shared a brilliant faux pas by ITV.  They had a group of neighbours planting trees.  When they went back to the studio the commentator said.  So it looks like all you need to get on with your neighbours is a spade.  The guy with the spade digging the holes was black. 

Wizz is absolutely hilarious on Facebook.
Different countries have different views.  For example the Aussies call the Pakistanis Paki's.   Even on the cricket commentary. 

They would get the sack for doing that in the UK.  They should get an Aussie over to commentate the next time we play them!  The snowflakes would melt in milli seconds!!!
(25-06-2020, 09:30 AM)ceitinn Wrote: Exactly. When I first started my working life old people still said they felt queer if they felt unwell but the PC brigade of the late 80s were all over them. Maybe this is why older people suffer with depression? They are so nervous about what to say and it isn't as if we think certain groups are laid back and easy going about things, they just jump on people. So people are scared or nervous to talk about things.

Also back then black people were called coloured. That was the correct term back then but it changed in the 1990s to black. The older elements of my family still say coloured and no matter how many times I tell them that isn't correct these days they just cite how it was bashed into them to say coloured in the 70s and 80s.

More amusing is i the early 00s when they tried to get in a more correct term for gay people. They were supposed to be referred to as "people with an orientation towards the same sex". It is interesting to note that the trans community and the gay community are not the big happy community we are being led to believe. They are actually at war with each other over a number of things.
Now they call BAME "persons of colour " semantics or just trying to catch people out. Isnt Queer now part of the LGBT conglomerate? Nowt queer as folk as they were once allowed to say. People should always look at the context of what the word or terminology is used. But that sadly requires a modicum of commknsense and a massive reduction in wokedness and dare I say.BS?
'Person of colour' = The correct phrase of the moment. Congratulate the person saying it on their wokeness.

'Coloured' = Phrase used by dangerous racists and far-right terrorists. Contact 'Prevent' immediately if you hear this phrase.
Ballot spoilers of the world unite.
One of Labours leadership challengers years ago used it many moons ago. I heard it on radio. Think Roy Jenkins.

I believe in calling a spade a spade... He was heckled by someone on audience replying something like if you did you wouldn't be here